Hanging blankets and stopping snare buzzing

patlang12

I have two questions. The first is about hanging blankets. I am going to record drums soon and I was wondering If it would be a good idea to hang blankets because the room does not have a great sound. I want to get a sound with very little reverb and then I would add in reverb and all that good stuff on the computer. I also was wondering what I should do to try to stop the snares from buzzing.(this is when the snare is not being played. I have tried tape, but that changes the sound way to much. Thanks!

To stop the snare buzz your gonna have to retune the snare to a diffrent pitch because it's at the same pitch as another drum. Or retune what ever drum that makes it buzz.

for a demo recording, I don't think a little snare buzz wll be very noticable. This was something I used to always fret about. For some reason I haven't even thought about it lately. i think it you're hitting the drums hard, the snare buzz is so small, compared to the sound of the toms that you won't even hear it.

most likely you should be able to mess with the tuning of the bottom snare head and it should fix the problem. if that doesnt work, try tightening the actual metal snare. if you still have the buzz, then you may have to retune your toms. also try repositioning the snare in the snare stand... its amazing what little things will do to your sound.

cheers

Back