favortie drummers

Drummer706

AOD AND SANCTIFIED
Listen guys im tired of listening 2 lars all the time. i need new inspiration. if u guys could please tell me who your favorite drummers are, what band they play for, and what type of music they play. at this point it dosent matter if its metal, alternative, country, jazz, fusion it would all help. thanx

JOEL

Joel,
Man, just turn on the radio! Pick a song, and steal some licks! That's what I do.
Other than that, this is what I mainly listen to:

Jazz
-Buddy Rich
-Gene Krupa
-Dave Weckl (The Dave Weckl Band)
-Peter Erskine (Weather Report and others)
-Steve Gadd

Rock/Pop
-Jon Wysoki (Staind)
-Neil Peart (Rush)
-Jose Pasillas (Incubus)
-Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
-John Dolmayn (System of a Down)
-Brad Wilk (Audioslave/Rage Against the Machine)
-Scott Phillips (Creed)
-John Fishman (Phish)
-Danny Carey (Tool)
-David Silveria (KoRn)
-John Otto (Limp Bizkit)

Those are all my biggest inspirations. :D

Nick Mason - Pink Floyd
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater - Also check out all of his side projects like OSI, and Transatlantic and LTE (prog rock)
John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
Matt Cameron - Pearl Jam
Gavin Harrison - Porcupine Tree - Sick drumming on In Absentia (prog rock)
Terry Bozzio - He has solo stuff and did some work with Frank Zappa back in the day. I'm pretty sure he's not human.
Chad Smith - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Alex Van Halen - Did some cool stuff with that band Van Halen
I also second Neil Peart, Danny Carey, and Carter Beauford as well.

Here are my favorite:

Jazz:
Dave Weckl (Dave Weckl Band)
Max Roach
Gene Krupa
Steve Gadd

Rock:
John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
Neil Peart (Rush)
Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
Keith Moon (The Who)
Carl Palmer (ELP)
John Fishman (Phish)
Nick Mason (Pink Floyd)

Here are some of my favorites:

JAZZ

Tony Williams-Miles Davis

Elvin Jones-Miles,Coltrane

Jack Dejohnette-Miles and others

Jeff "Tain" Watts-B.Marsalis, K.Garrett

Terry Lyne Carrington-Herbie Hancock

Art Blakey-Jazz Messengers

Ben Riley-Ron Carter

Philly Jo Jones-Miles, Trane

Billy Cobham-Mahavishnu

ROCK

Neil Peart-Rush

Doane Perry-Jethro Tull

John Bonham- oh I forget :D

Mitch Mitchell-Jimi Hendrix

Ginger Baker-Cream

Carter Beaufort- Dave Matthews

HAND DRUMMERS

Mamady Keita-Sewa Kan

Famoudou Konate-independent

Laurent Camara-Le Ballet Africains

....There are many more. These are ones that immediately leapt into my mind as both great and influential.

have you guys ever seen the woodstock dvd. if you haven't, rent it and watch santana's performance of "soul sacrifice". the drummer is at least 18 and he plays awesome. he has the huge solo and oh man it's just awesome. rent woodstock. watch soul sacrifice. be amazed. i think his name is Michael Shrieve, but he's so young.

1) John Bonham-Zeppelin
2) Mitch Mitchell-Hendrix
3) Joe Morello-Jazz Legend
4) Papa Joe Jones-Jazz Legend

the classic jazz drumming is where it's at man....

hendrix for pope

My favorite drummer is this kid that plays backup in a small church band in North West Miami, he goes by the name KRIPPY!

:D

Terry Bozzio is another great drummer, does a lot of really interesting things with a kit. There are a huuuge number of incredible drummers out there, a good place to start is at www.drummerworld.com . They have a great list of bio's, with pic's, audio, and some great videos.

I like, in no particular order,

Neil Peart
Simon Philips
Stewart Copeland
Keith Moon
Carl Palmer
Buddy Rich
Ed Shaugnessy
Kenny Aranoff

just to name a few

i remember the first time i saw carter beauford play (9.1.92 at Trax in charlottesville, va, where the DMB hails from and i still reside). i was just flat-out blown away by his limb independence and the smoothness in which he moved around the kit. i said to my friend, "this is the first guy i've ever seen that comes close to being as good as peart". peart's always been my biggest influence, so that was "big words" coming from me at the time.

shortly thereafter, i started doing a lot of crew work at Trax (and for the DMB in particular) and got the opportunity to hang out with and talk a lot of shop with carter. it really helped re-invigorate me into playing drums, and i've tried to apply some of the things he "taught" me into my everyday playing. namely, you don't have to kill the damn things--speed and quickness and evenness of stroke are the the true keys. use bigger sticks if you want a fatter tone--and let the sticks do the work for you instead of your arms and wrists (and fingers). and proper drum tuning is crucial (but i knew that to begin with). his main snare was a brass piccolo, which i always found intriguing considering just about every one of his snare hits was a rimshot (something i've always done, which surprised me to see him doing it too).

if you've ever heard any of those Trax tapes, they didn't have a lot of outboard processing gear in that house (mostly reverbs and a couple comps), and carter was playing on a pretty crappy Pearl kit in those days (with a crown PZM mic sitting on the pillow in the kick!). he would leave his better pearl kit at home, b/c he didn't want it getting beat up gigging. he only had mounted toms (no floor toms) so the sounds he got out of those drums was nothing short of amazing considering. i was there when he got his first kit of yamahas, too, at the UVA Ampitheater show in Sept 94 right when UTTAD came out. His comment was "wow, i've never had a floor tom before!". :D i've got the yamaha-badged batter head off that snare. shame i didn't think to have him sign it!

FWIW, the DMB's soundman (Jeff Thomas--we called him Baggby) is one of the guys who taught me how to run sound (along with Ben Fulsom, who was Trax's house soundman in those days). i remember New Years 94 i was running taper security at the board at the Richmond Marriott, and right before the clock struck midnight, Baggby turns to me and says "i've gotta go take care of some 'business'--handle the board for me....and tweak anything that needs to be tweaked" and ran off backstage just as the band was coming out. Dave sees me standing behind this HUGE console with this "deer in the headlights" look on my face, and points at me and laughs (the fucker LAUGHED at me! :p) and then they drop into #36. needless to say, i didn't have to touch a thing--baggby always dialed in a room quite well. although, i'm still obviously scarred by dave's pointing and laughing..... :D

anyway, carter was always one of the nicest guys i've ever had the pleasure to know (as were the rest of the guys in that band), and his drumming skills are just phenomenal. i'm very glad to have had the opportunity to learn some stuff from him first-hand. so yeah, he's a bit of an influence, even though i don't care for the commercial-pop route the DMB's gone down since they "made it big". they're all spectacular musicians and IMO, the true magic was made in that little room known as Trax (RIP).

wade

My favorites,
Buddy Rich
Tony Williams
Aierto
Steve Ferrone from the Average White Band days
Morgan Rose from Sevendust

You've all covered many of the greats, but I'm surprised noone mentioned Joseph "zigaboo" Modeliste of the Meters.

simple

think--the most important part of speech--knowing when to shut up. ever played with a guitarist or singer who thought they farted golddust with every squeal? don't be that guy.

not a punk expert, but i'd consult BAD RELIGION. cut my chops on NEIL PEART and KEITH MOON, which taught me economy of motion, and to put each drum/cymbal within easy reach .

DANNY RICHMOND (Mingus) said, don't step into a party yakking at everyone--say, "how do you do?"-- then be a conversationalist. listen to STEWART COPELAND play on "every breath you take." or PHIL COLLINS on "that's all." these guys played for trios, and the beat had to evolve if it was going to work. "come together" is the opposite: RINGO dumbed his verse beat into a hardass chorus. pop geniuses.

jazz: hear TONY WILLIAMS (started at 14) on "in a silent way"--nothing but hats. SONNY PAYNE played swing for COUNT BASIE, but when he soloed, it sounded like a man falling down the stairs, quietly, and landing on his feet...

?UESTLOVE is a human drum machine (really). see also STEVE COLEMAN AND METRICS.

go to every club you can get into. see how the drummer's kit is set up and mic'ed, and especialy how he plays.

check out:
ERIC TAYLOR of SEELY
DANNY TAYLOR of SILVER APPLES
JOHN MCENTIRE
STEREOLAB
SUNNY DAY REALLY ESTATE
lula divinia by SHINER
DON CABALLERO
my friends MATT GRIFFIN (of O1O),
and ATIVIN

just trying to help--sorry if i wrote a dam novel.--j dubb

I believe that the best drummers are not necessarily the most skilled, but are among the most creative. That's why I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned Travis Barker from Blink 182!

This guy actually makes mainstream drumming interesting, unlike most of the crap you hear on the radio these days. I've always been a firm believer that less is more and that a drummer shouldn't just go nuts for the sake of showing off. But Travis manages to come up with really cool beats without stealing the spotlight from the rest of his band.

I know that he's nothing compared to Buddy Rich or Dave Weckl. But I think Travis is a revolutionary drummer in the mainstream music industry by refusing to just sit back and keep time for the band. Instead, he's stepping up and putting the drummer back into the spotlight with the rest of the band.

i saw a sessions at 54th street on klru with tori amos who had recently acquired an incredible drummer....i think it may have been matt cameron...i'm not sure though..

the guy was incredible.

Back