Example of three mic set up

RezN8

Blick-um, blick-um...
A few people here have asked about the three mic-set up for drums, and about Peluso mics. Here's and example - Slow Blues Jam in Am - which is a good demonstration of how these mics work in this situation:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=68265

Mics used:
- 2 Peluso CEMC6s on drum overheads (close to an ORTF config)
- AT-2500 on kick

I tried to play with a lot of dynamics just to see how the mics were picking things up. I used very little compression (2:1), no EQ at all, a little too much verb for my personal tastes, but the track called for it.

Comments and questions welcome! Cheers, Rez

I agree too this is too wet, I love to hear it with a little reverb, but this is personal taste.
About the micing and how the drums sound, wow those Peluso are great. Do you have any picture or drawing of mic placement??. Could you tell me more about how it was recorded??. What interface, pres, etc.

Thanks
TS

I am more interested in the room. What was the room you had them in? And how far from the kit were the mics?

tnx

Tnx 4 your comments. The overheads were set up in sort of an ORTF configuration (think of a V shape with the tips of the mics about 7" or 8" apart) ... about 2 ft above and slightly behind the drummers head.

I try to angle the mics a little more toward the toms than the cymbals. Howeever, every situations is slightly different and often the slightest tweak of a mic angle makes a world of difference.

The kit:
Tama Rockstar (1999) Toms 10", 12",13", 16" Evans G2 on top Remo Ambassadors on bottom
22" bassdrum Superkick II Bass Drumhead Pack
14" Mapex Black Panther snare with Remo coated Ambassador

NO MUFFLING on anything!!! Not even a pillow in the bass drum! I tuned the kit early that day and it held it's tuning pretty well throughout the session.

Zildjian New Beat 14" hihats,
"A" 17" Crash and "K" 18" CrashRide
Sabian "AAX" 18" Crash

The signal path:

2 Peluso CEMC6s overheads
1 AT2500 on the bass drum
True Systems Precision 8
RME Fireface 800
Cubase SX3

The mics are mounted on a mic bar (kind of like this one here http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ULT-23510B--s-mic-bar.html ) Sometimes they're a pain to work with but it saves a lot of space. The kit is near a corner of the room to pick up a little more overall "boom".

I hadn't been able to play my drums in about 6 months or so because I was busy recording other artists. I reheaded the entire kit about 3 weeks before this session. I was rusty but I really enjoyed playing again. Hope to do it again soon.

Hope this info helps. Cheers, Rez

bubbagump said:
I am more interested in the room. What was the room you had them in? And how far from the kit were the mics?

We recorded in a one-room basement. 14x20x7. The low ceiling makes it difficult, but you do what you have to do. The mics were about 2 ft above and slightly behind my head.

Huh, I am very surprised as lowish ceilings can really screw with drum over heads sometimes and give that cheap dorm room sound. Good job as I was expecting to hear about you using some great big space. I think ORTF works well in these situations.

Four "rooms"

thickfreakness said:
what did you use for the reverb? computer effects or just the natural basement sound?

Good question! I like to build a few rooms (reverb) using different reverb plug-ins and hardware. I was in a big hurry to get a quick and dirty mix out the door so I had to cut a few corners.

You're hearing basically four rooms:

1. the "actual sound of the basement" room - the natural bleed into the other mics helps create depth too...
2. "church type hall" on a send effect for the guitar. I also sent just a hint (a very small amount) of the drums to it so when I smack the snare it opens up a bit.
3. "small room" as a send effect for guitar as well. The amount is really so small you won't notice it, but it helps add more dimension to a mono guitar track.
4. The drum tracks are bussed to a stereo group channel with a "medium sized drum room" as an insert effect. This is NOT the way I normally do things but as I said I was in a big hurry. Normally I'd build a drum room sound using outboard gear.

Back