the adventure continues...

rightbrainnow

so im still on the adventure of learning how to record drums. ive searched the forum and googled to learn about phase correction on drums. I know what phase is, and i know how to elimate it on electric guitar with two mics...but is it even possible to fully eliminate it on drums? I have two o/h's, a kick, and a snare. Isnt it just kidna factual that the sound on my hi hat is going to reach my left o/h before it does my right?..and to elimate that signal interference...how does one reposition a mic? Arent all the mics out of phase with eachother? its not really possible to get the good "stereo image" while having every mic equal distance from every source of a sound. This problem seems like common sense to me, but most my searches lead to people talking about phase correction within a single tom, or just a snare...yes that i understand, but with a 4 mich set up or even the infamous "3 mic setup" everyone talks about it seems physically impossible. do i not get it?

If you position your overheads in the XY position the sound gets there at the same time. ( typ xy mic position in google )
Good question tough when using A-B technique , a general rule is:
Put the Overheads in mono position;if it sounds bad, it probably is ;)

Personally : they can suck my balls when it comes to mono-compatibility :P

Back