REAPER update to 5.0

Just installed the new version....so far, so good....I hate to admit it, but I've been using the 32 bit version for years now, but I finally got off my ass & switched over to 64x....

I haven't noticed any CPU or RAM differences yet, but I've not really did anything other than making sure all my plug-ins show up & work...I should find out if there's gonna be any differences when I load up some of my fake drum templates because a couple of 'em are pretty heavy RAM-wise....

The old themes work with the new version too, I wasn't 100% sure but they do...I have a "custom" theme a guy made me a couple/few years ago, with some scripts & actions I made myself, & so far it's running smooth....I actually can't tell any difference between v4 & v5 so far....:D.

I'm giving the new look a fair chance before switching to one of the legacy themes. Since I just updated to Win10, I'm getting used to a lot of new UI features and looks. So I figured I might as well lump this in with all of the current changes and see if I can get used to it.

Do yall have to get a new license for this upgrade?

I don't know. I'm still on the trial version. :D

I was actually going to buy it a long time ago, but I remember you saying you once had to re-install everything, or pay for your license again when you did an update. I can't remember exactly what your issue was, but it was something and it was enough to make me stay with the trial version.

Your license will carry you through 2 full versions. So if you bought your license for version 4, it's still valid for version 5. You'll have to re-up your license when they go to version 6.

And applying your license is just a matter of typing a key into a field. No re-install or other changes necessary. It just makes the nag screen go away, and puts food on the developers' tables :)

Your license will carry you through 2 full versions. So if you bought your license for version 4, it's still valid for version 5. You'll have to re-up your license when they go to version 6.

And applying your license is just a matter of typing a key into a field. No re-install or other changes necessary. It just makes the nag screen go away, and puts food on the developers' tables :)
OK, that's good to know, thanx.

I have no problem paying for it, other than the issues I wasn't sure about. Knowing it's good for 2 full versions, I can live with that.

I bought a few thousand bucks worth of gear in the last few months, so spending another $60 on this certainly wasn't the issue. :)

I have no problem paying for it, other than the issues I wasn't sure about. Knowing it's good for 2 full versions, I can live with that.

I bought a few thousand bucks worth of gear in the last few months, so spending another $60 on this certainly wasn't the issue. :)

I had some license weirdness years ago...I bought a license back when it was only $40 and used it happily for a while. Then I took a couple years hiatus from recording and when I returned, my license was no longer valid. The entire license key format had changed (I had a text file with a big block of gobbledygook in it). I must have bought it right at the end of version 2, been away from recording all through version 3, and returned early in version 4.

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, this $60 license every several years is not the thing that is going to make my wife cut up my credit cards :D

Now is the best time to buy. If you'd bought it before this update, your license would have been good up to the end of version 5. If you buy it now, it'll be good until the end of version 6.

Now is the best time to buy. If you'd bought it before this update, your license would have been good up to the end of version 5. If you buy it now, it'll be good until the end of version 6.

Good point. I will do that. :cool:

I've been using it about all afternoon, & I can't tell any difference between 4 & 5 myself, but, I know I'm not using it to it's full potential either, just basic shit I've been doing for years now...

I had to load my theme though, I was completely lost with the default, & I may be losing some new features because of this, but it really doesn't matter to me, as long as it does what it's been doing, doesn't crash, & all my plugs work, I'm happy...

I don't know. I'm still on the trial version. :D

I was actually going to buy it a long time ago, but I remember you saying you once had to re-install everything, or pay for your license again when you did an update. I can't remember exactly what your issue was, but it was something and it was enough to make me stay with the trial version.

Because I got a licence with Reaper 3, I got a message saying my licence had expired when I installed and loaded 5. I forked out $60 (which is something like $AUS80) and, as others have said, the nag screen goes away. Everything else stays happily as it was.

Well I installed 5 on my backup laptop and it seems to be fine, but I still gotta use 32 bit for some of my ancient plugs to work. Does that seem right? I've always used 32 bit Reaper because....well that's just what it's always been.

Yeah, I tried installing 64 bit REAPER when I first bought this computer about a year and a half ago. I had trouble with some plugs, and it gave me a few other weird problems that I can't even remember now. I think mostly to do with plug-ins. I figure 32 bit is more than fine. I've been using 32 bit.

I've been using 64 bit since I can remember. I use several 32-bit plugins and they don't give me any grief. The 32-bit plugs just run in bridged mode and their windows always float instead of docking in the VST window, and I guess that they do always want to stay on top instead of hiding in the background when they lose focus. But I've never had them glitch out or misbehave. The 32-bit VSTs that I mainly use are from Variety of Sound and Kjaerhaus.

Just a couple things, starting with this.
So, this is what we have to do every time?
No. You can do it once and then stick that Action on a toolbar or in a menu where it is more convenient for you to find. Course you'll have to read the manual on how to do that.

Then: They actually had a score editor in earlier pre-releases of R5, but it didn't pass muster for the users, and fell by the wayside as low priority. I do believe that it's coming very soon.

And finally: I take it that those of you saying that there isn't much difference haven't ever tried editing/mixing video in Reaper? Neither have I, but apparently it's actually pretty serious now.

I'm also pretty happy about the lfo phase control in the parameter modulation (possibly because it was my suggestion), though I do wish they'd gone a little further toward true "CV" capabilities.

Yeah, I tried installing 64 bit REAPER when I first bought this computer about a year and a half ago. I had trouble with some plugs, and it gave me a few other weird problems that I can't even remember now. I think mostly to do with plug-ins. I figure 32 bit is more than fine. I've been using 32 bit.

Reaper has a 32bit bridge. There might be issues with some older plug ins, but most should work.

I found Reaper easily bridged some 32 bit plugins that I wasn't able to use with Cubase (either using Cubase's own bridging or JBridge).

FWIW, I've use the 32-bit version for years without any issues really...
The only reason I finally did switch over to 64-bit (after about 5 years....yaaay!!!!:laughings:) is because I use a lot of drum samples/vsti's that use a lot of RAM, & a lot of the plug-ins I use aren't really CPU heavy, but they use quite a bit more RAM than I would have expected...

I'd been doing just fine with the 32-bit version up until not too long ago, when I hit my limit with the RAM, so that's the biggest reason I made the switch, even though I should've done this a long time ago (which is the main reason I bought this computer to begin with...)...

The reason I hadn't switched over is plug-ins. Like Greg, some of the older plug-ins I use don't have the x64 version, but I decided to just bite the bullet, & replace those with something else (like a compressor for example)...

CPU has never really been an issue for me with this computer, just the RAM limit, and again, this computer is over 5 years old now, which in today's standards, is pretty old I'm assuming, but it seems to be doing just fine...

Just curious, what are some of your specs on your computers you guys are using??? Here's what I use:

Gateway DX4300
AMD Phenom II x4 810 processor 2.60Ghz
2-1tb hdd's (plus 2 more 1tb external hdd's I have for backup & storage)
8gb RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 7 USB interface

Back