Ziggy Stardust cover by Greggy Buttcrust

Ha! I wouldn't go that far. Songs like that are harder than they sound!
Great job.

That's two you've done from that record now. Should we stay tuned? ;)

Lol. No I don't think so. I might do Rebel Rebel or a Greg-rock version of Space Oddity. Those two have been on my list of covers-to-do for a long time.

I always want to do a good job on covers, but really I treat them as guinea pigs. Covers are where I try out recording ideas and techniques for later use on my originals.

Lol. No I don't think so. I might do Rebel Rebel or a Greg-rock version of Space Oddity. Those two have been on my list of covers-to-do for a long time.

I could see you doing Rebel rebel really well.

I always want to do a good job on covers, but really I treat them as guinea pigs. Covers are where I try out recording ideas and techniques for later use on my originals.

Good call. It's a great way to pick up new things.

Pretty much every cover I do has something new for me in it. Mics, mic placement, drum tuning, whatever. It could be anything. This one has the half wah guitar track and an acoustic guitar - two things I pretty much never do. I went for a dull and donky snare sound. I've been playing with miking the bottom of the snare. Flat-ish toms. Stuff like that. Things most people wouldn't pick up on, but I know it's there and I judge for myself if it's something I'll ever wanna mess with again.

Actually, I take back what I said. It wasn't my place, especially since, if anyone can take care of themself around here, it's Greg. He doesn't need me to jump in. Propman is one of the good guys around here, and has more talent than most. I have no problem with the dude. I didn't think it was the coolest thing to do, but nobody killed anyone either.

Movin' on.........

I know you weren't talking to me but thank you. I promise, I wasn't trying to be mean. I thought we were just play fighting.

Don't worry about it Rami. I was just fucking with him, but I got the sense that he was starting to take it a little personally so I ran with it. :D

Someone always gets upset when I bash acoustic guitars. It happens every time. Acoustic people are more sensitive than Hendrix or Beatles people.

Greg, I know you were fucking with me. I thought I was doing it back but I guess it came off too serious. I've always considered you a friend on here. I wrote a very strongly worded letter to one of the moderators (on one of the many occasions) when you got banned. If posting that cover (with what I thought was an obviously sarcastic title) came off as rude, I really am sorry. I did it with the most lighthearted intentions.

P.S. If I may change the topic, what kind of acoustic did you use? It sounded nice - like The Beatles.

I know you weren't talking to me but thank you. I promise, I wasn't trying to be mean. I thought we were just play fighting.

You're cool, man. Actually, I was talking to you, just not to your face. :D

Greg, I know you were fucking with me. I thought I was doing it back but I guess it came off too serious. I've always considered you a friend on here. I wrote a very strongly worded letter to one of the moderators (on one of the many occasions) when you got banned. If posting that cover (with what I thought was an obviously sarcastic title) came off as rude, I really am sorry. I did it with the most lighthearted intentions.
You had him..........

It sounded nice - like The Beatles.
......then you lost him.......

:D

P.S. If I may change the topic, what kind of acoustic did you use? It sounded nice - like The Beatles.

Okay, no worries. It seemed different, but things do get jumbled sometimes through the cold lifeless internet. Don't sweat it.

Um, the acoustic, I think it's some cheap Squier. Hang on....

Yup, a Squier. I bought it for my wife several years ago but the action was so high on it she couldn't play it. So it just sits literally for years at a time. I hate it. I think I've used it maybe 4 or 5 times on my recordings. I did sort of fix the action though. I took the saddle out of the bridge and there was a huge shim underneath it. Okay, throw the shim away, put it back together, still too high. So I got real scientific about it and sanded the saddle down on the concrete outside. Lol. It's actually not too bad at all now. I still hate it though.

Yeah this is absolutely killer. I don't know too much Bowie but I do own this album, and I've always loved this song. I'll have to agree with your own personal sentiment, in that the vocals aren't quite on par with the instruments, but we're talking about perfectly killer music with merely rocking vocals ;) Nice job overall!

Side note, I have a gig on Halloween, and the entire band is dressing up as different eras of Bowie. Our singer is going as Ziggy, I'm going as Jareth the Goblin King from Labyrinth. I even bought the wig!

Yeah this is absolutely killer. I don't know too much Bowie but I do own this album, and I've always loved this song. I'll have to agree with your own personal sentiment, in that the vocals aren't quite on par with the instruments, but we're talking about perfectly killer music with merely rocking vocals ;) Nice job overall!

Side note, I have a gig on Halloween, and the entire band is dressing up as different eras of Bowie. Our singer is going as Ziggy, I'm going as Jareth the Goblin King from Labyrinth. I even bought the wig!
who's going as the half dog/ half Bowie from the diamond dogs era?

Great job Greg sir.

I love the tones your 'guit-ing' and the attention to detail on the feedback as some of those notes trail off and break up was AWESOME! hard work definitely paid off there. Maybe it was unintentional? In which case that's even cooler. Good show.

Thanks dude. :)

Lol. One of you should go as the Bowie from that terrible video he made with Mick Jagger.

Great job Greg sir.

I love the tones your 'guit-ing' and the attention to detail on the feedback as some of those notes trail off and break up was AWESOME! hard work definitely paid off there. Maybe it was unintentional? In which case that's even cooler. Good show.
Thanks man. I dunno, the feedback stuff just happens. I like it, but I can't say I have much control over it.

Fantastic cover in my opinion. I haven't read the all the replies but I'm sure they cover everything that is right/wrong with the mix/performance etc but I don't really have anything to add.

Not a fan of this era of Bowie personally but I really like this version. Everything sounds nice and clear and well balanced in the mix.

Top job for me! :thumbs up:

Fuckin A Greg. I forgot you said you were gonna take a stab at this. What can I say? You fuckin nailed it! Yeah yer vox ain't Bowie but who is - they're good enough. You got Ronno's tone dead.

Outstanding! And this is coming from a Bowie/Ronson freak. I love that music and those albums and I love this. Great job, Bud. You the man.

Someone mentioned covering another tune from then - I've heard your version of Suff City and I liked it even with the license you took. If you go there take a think about Hang on to Yourself. Always one of my favorites, encapsulates the spirit, the times the whole Bowie "thing". Also has one of the greatest lines in rock - "The bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar"...

Fantastic cover in my opinion. I haven't read the all the replies but I'm sure they cover everything that is right/wrong with the mix/performance etc but I don't really have anything to add.

Not a fan of this era of Bowie personally but I really like this version. Everything sounds nice and clear and well balanced in the mix.

Top job for me! :thumbs up:
Cool thanks a lot man. :)

Yup, that one,.

Fuckin A Greg. I forgot you said you were gonna take a stab at this. What can I say? You fuckin nailed it! Yeah yer vox ain't Bowie but who is - they're good enough. You got Ronno's tone dead.

Outstanding! And this is coming from a Bowie/Ronson freak. I love that music and those albums and I love this. Great job, Bud. You the man.

Someone mentioned covering another tune from then - I've heard your version of Suff City and I liked it even with the license you took. If you go there take a think about Hang on to Yourself. Always one of my favorites, encapsulates the spirit, the times the whole Bowie "thing". Also has one of the greatest lines in rock - "The bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar"...

Awesome, thanks Lou. I was just about to alert you to this because I know I mentioned it to you before and you rarely come up here. I know you're a Ronson freak, so your stamp of approval on the guitars is good to me. :D

I'm gonna give the verses another crack tomorrow. See if I can do it better.

Let me dig it out of the way back file and I'll get it to you. I'll probably slap a new mix on it. It's been forever since I've heard it.

Don't do that on my account... I'm sure it sounds great as it is, and I'm probably too tone-deaf to appreciate the changes you'd make :)

But yeah, I was a big fan of this album when I was young. To me, "Suffragette City" was far and away the best song on there, though I did like the whole album a lot.

That song confused me a bit as kid, because at the time I was wearing out the album, we had recently learned in school that suffragettes were women fighting for the right to vote. So the first mental images I used to get when listening to it were of David Bowie trying to pick up pissed-off women who looked like Susan B. Anthony. Eventually I got past that.

Back