Ziggy Stardust cover by Greggy Buttcrust

First off ... you've heard Pete Townshend play the acoustic, right? I'd hardly call that "not rocking."
You've heard Pete play electrics right? That's rocking. Windmills, loudness, huge sound. That's rocking. Pete playing an acoustic is not rocking. It's lame and sad actually.

Yeah, a vocal-less mix would be just fine. And, no, Greg, I'd never try to show you up. I'd be too afraid of my acoustic having a little "accident." :D If only you'd told me to go fuck myself sooner, I may have taken your advice but I'm pretty spent right now. Maybe in a few minutes. I can't make any promises. I'm glad you think I'm pretty, though. That makes me feel real' nice. Thanks!
Lol. I don't know man, maybe you should just do it yourself. You can use bongos and acoustic guitars and toy xylophones and stuff. Nothing too loud. Nice and subdued. Quiet, inoffensive. Your own version of rocking. :D

Sounds awesome, man. I was actually thinking of covering this a few weeks ago, and the got side-tracked with I don't remember what.

Yeah, you did the drums pretty much just like the record.

This is the most melodic I've ever heard you sing and I was quite impressed. You always start and end up on the right note. There are a few transition notes that are slightly off, but this is still a great vocal performance for you. Everything else is bang-on

Thanks a lot Rami. I'd love to hear your take on this song. You'd probably sing it and drum it way better than I did.

I hear a few things in my vocals that make me facepalm myself, but really, I'm okay with it. Could I do it better? Probably not.

Just had this blasting out of my monitors at neighbour-annoying volume. Sounds awesome as ever from you, Greg. If I had to pick at something, it would be the vocal. The double tracked bits sound great and I loved the intro vocal bits, especially the 'ahhh' at around 18 seconds. The other bits are just a little weaker, IMHO, and you slip into an English accent here and there. Maybe I'm just not liking the American accent over the rest of it or something, but it just doesn't quite sit right for me. Don't get me wrong, it is a good vocal, but I'm just not liking it as much as everything else in the recording.

Lol. I don't know man, maybe you should just do it yourself. You can use bongos and acoustic guitars and toy xylophones and stuff. Nothing too loud. Nice and subdued. Quiet, inoffensive. Your own version of rocking. :D
Hey, I can rock. I just choose to play good music instead. Psycho Killer: good song. Acoustic Psycho Killer (from Stop Making Sense): Great song (although, a toy xylophone would have tied the whole thing together a little more nicely in my opinion). Now, I'm willing to try out this screechy, terrible music so I can widen my musical knowledge. You know, see what it's like to be awful and covered in bitches. If you're not down, fine. I'll just look Mr. Bowie's song right in the face and say, "here's some goddamned bongos. Now shave, wear a proper suit and take it like a man!"

Just had this blasting out of my monitors at neighbour-annoying volume. Sounds awesome as ever from you, Greg. If I had to pick at something, it would be the vocal. The double tracked bits sound great and I loved the intro vocal bits, especially the 'ahhh' at around 18 seconds. The other bits are just a little weaker, IMHO, and you slip into an English accent here and there. Maybe I'm just not liking the American accent over the rest of it or something, but it just doesn't quite sit right for me. Don't get me wrong, it is a good vocal, but I'm just not liking it as much as everything else in the recording.
No prob, thanks for the feedback. I have no illusions that I can sing. Lol. I just knock it out and call it good enough. I've always just accepted my vocals being a weakness. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it isnt, I just roll with it.

Hey, I can rock. I just choose to play good music instead. Psycho Killer: good song. Acoustic Psycho Killer (from Stop Making Sense): Great song (although, a toy xylophone would have tied the whole thing together a little more nicely in my opinion). Now, I'm willing to try out this screechy, terrible music so I can widen my musical knowledge. You know, see what it's like to be awful and covered in bitches. If you're not down, fine. I'll just look Mr. Bowie's song right in the face and say, "here's some goddamned bongos. Now shave, wear a proper suit and take it like a man!"

Lol. Hey whatever dude, knock yourself out. Keep doing what you do. There's room for everybody. The dentist offices of the world need music too!

I did most of this off memory, but I don't think I embellished anything. I certainly didn't try to anyway. I think I did the drums mostly pretty accurate, give or take a few beats here and there. My drums are more forward in the mix than the original. Maybe that's the big difference.

Listened to the original for the first time in a while... you were pretty damn accurate (not that you needed to be, unless that's what you were going for). I never realized the original had such good drumming... I thought you had spiced it up. The whole thing sounds great. If you feel like going apeshit on the kit next time you have Bowie on the brain, I bet you could give us a kickass "Suffragette City"! :)

OK, Greg, this one goes out to you (whether you want it to or not :D).

Ziggy Stardust (Campfire Version):

[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65316259/Ziggy%20Stardust%20(Campfire%20Version).mp3[/MP3]

Listened to the original for the first time in a while... you were pretty damn accurate (not that you needed to be, unless that's what you were going for). I never realized the original had such good drumming... I thought you had spiced it up. The whole thing sounds great. If you feel like going apeshit on the kit next time you have Bowie on the brain, I bet you could give us a kickass "Suffragette City"! :)
Yup, great song. I actually already did it a few years ago. I'll send you a copy if you wanna hear it.

OK, Greg, this one goes out to you (whether you want it to or not :D).

Ziggy Stardust (Campfire Version):

[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65316259/Ziggy%20Stardust%20(Campfire%20Version).mp3[/MP3]

Lol. I'm not listening to that, but I gotta tell you it's pretty bad form to try to out-do someone in their own thread. If that's how you wanna play it, I'm game. I can start turning all of your stuff into songs with balls if you'd like.

Lol. I'm not listening to that, but I gotta tell you it's pretty bad form to try to out-do someone in their own thread. If that's how you wanna play it, I'm game. I can start turning all of your stuff into songs with balls if you'd like.
Horrible form. But, don't worry, he didn't show you up. That was as vanilla as muzak. Seriously man, can you make a song any MORE boring?

OK, I never thought I'd say this but this sarcasm war has gotten out of hand. I like the song, love your version and was inspired by your nudging to give it a shot. I wasn't trying to out-do you. Were you trying to out-do David Bowie? We just dig the same song, brah.

[Sigh] I already regret being nice. Now I'll never get to hear you do ball-a-fied versions of my tunes.

Anyway, back to Greg's mix.

Sounds good as usual. Blaring guitars, tight delivery, etc.

My one new nit is that the stereo separation is kind of distracting. The left guitar really sticks out as distinctly a different instrument from the rest. I might move the wah guitar and acoustic in a bit to try to get a more unified blend.
That and the vocal delivery. This song, unfortunately, is pretty rough for your style. Maybe have Foul Phil or someone track some vox for you. :D

Yes. Yes, I can. It's what I do.

Actually, I take back what I said. It wasn't my place, especially since, if anyone can take care of themself around here, it's Greg. He doesn't need me to jump in. Propman is one of the good guys around here, and has more talent than most. I have no problem with the dude. I didn't think it was the coolest thing to do, but nobody killed anyone either.

Movin' on.........

Holy good shit.

I thoroughly expected this to be the first time I'd be saying "It's not for me Greg", 'cos I'm a big Bowie fan and know (thought I knew) what you were about.

This is incredible man!
Gut reaction was WOW, then for a while I thought it was a little cheap sounding, then I realised that was because the backing track so so damn tight that this sounds like Greg doing karaoke.
Once I got over that I just went straight back to WOW again! :p

Guitar tones nailed...drums nailed....vocals nailed! Ok, they're totally your own (especially in the verses), but what else would you do?
Outstanding.

I'd love to hear it with a long tail reverb in the verses since you'd been pretty damn faithful elsewhere but that's being picky.

Love the guitars (of course). They sound awesome. Drums - ditto. Playing is first rate.

Singing was decent. But there is some minor pitchiness in a few spots. I think if you doubled the vocal all the way through (and keep the tracks down the center) it would help.

At first listen I was going to say that the bass needed a stronger low end. But on a second listen, I think it's just right.

And yeah it's really a faithful version.

Anyway, back to Greg's mix.

Sounds good as usual. Blaring guitars, tight delivery, etc.

My one new nit is that the stereo separation is kind of distracting. The left guitar really sticks out as distinctly a different instrument from the rest. I might move the wah guitar and acoustic in a bit to try to get a more unified blend.
That and the vocal delivery. This song, unfortunately, is pretty rough for your style. Maybe have Foul Phil or someone track some vox for you. :D
Lol. Yeah Phil could nail it.

Thanks for listening. The mix is a little disjointed, but I did try to do it like the original. Weirdo wah'd guitar hard left, acoustic hard right, with a little electric mixed in hard right. And the doubled choruses panned hard to each side.

Hell yeah. Thanks.
Let me dig it out of the way back file and I'll get it to you. I'll probably slap a new mix on it. It's been forever since I've heard it.

Actually, I take back what I said. It wasn't my place, especially since, if anyone can take care of themself around here, it's Greg. He doesn't need me to jump in. Propman is one of the good guys around here, and has more talent than most. I have no problem with the dude. I didn't think it was the coolest thing to do, but nobody killed anyone either.

Movin' on.........
Don't worry about it Rami. I was just fucking with him, but I got the sense that he was starting to take it a little personally so I ran with it. :D

Someone always gets upset when I bash acoustic guitars. It happens every time. Acoustic people are more sensitive than Hendrix or Beatles people.

Holy good shit.

I thoroughly expected this to be the first time I'd be saying "It's not for me Greg", 'cos I'm a big Bowie fan and know (thought I knew) what you were about.

This is incredible man!
Gut reaction was WOW, then for a while I thought it was a little cheap sounding, then I realised that was because the backing track so so damn tight that this sounds like Greg doing karaoke.
Once I got over that I just went straight back to WOW again! :p

Guitar tones nailed...drums nailed....vocals nailed! Ok, they're totally your own (especially in the verses), but what else would you do?
Outstanding.

I'd love to hear it with a long tail reverb in the verses since you'd been pretty damn faithful elsewhere but that's being picky.
Hey thanks a lot dude. I did try to keep it faithful. Some songs I'll butcher without a second though. This one I tried to keep it tasteful, while only butchering the vocals. :D

Love the guitars (of course). They sound awesome. Drums - ditto. Playing is first rate.

Singing was decent. But there is some minor pitchiness in a few spots. I think if you doubled the vocal all the way through (and keep the tracks down the center) it would help.

At first listen I was going to say that the bass needed a stronger low end. But on a second listen, I think it's just right.

And yeah it's really a faithful version.
Thanks bud. There's no way I'm doubling the vocals. I appreciate the input, but if I can't sing it well once, there's no way it's gonna work twice. :o

Hey thanks a lot dude. I did try to keep it faithful. Some songs I'll butcher without a second though. This one I tried to keep it tasteful, while only butchering the vocals. :D

Ha! I wouldn't go that far. Songs like that are harder than they sound!
Great job.

That's two you've done from that record now. Should we stay tuned? ;)

Back