Youth Choir Recording

BigRay, any advice on where to find some
tall mic stands, such as brand/model?
Or do you use light stands
with an adapter?

BigRay said:
There is no set rule, just get them as far away from "bad" sounds ie; talking, coughing, paper rustling, and up there in the sky where all the good ambience is...
I'm curious; is there a general rule of thumb point where you'd consider the mics as getting too close to the ceiling? Would something like 1/2 or 2/3rds of the way up from the crowd to the ceiling be a sweet spot, or is there no such thing as "too close to the ceiling" in your experience? I know there are probably no specific numbers, but I'd bet that you probably have a sense about a range. Either way, any comments you may have on this would have me grateful :).

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
I'm curious; is there a general rule of thumb point where you'd consider the mics as getting too close to the ceiling? Would something like 1/2 or 2/3rds of the way up from the crowd to the ceiling be a sweet spot, or is there no such thing as "too close to the ceiling" in your experience? I know there are probably no specific numbers, but I'd bet that you probably have a sense about a range. Either way, any comments you may have on this would have me grateful :).

G.

From the pics of cathedrals Ray has shown me, I don't think it's possible to get up that high ;)

mshilarious said:
From the pics of cathedrals Ray has shown me, I don't think it's possible to get up that high ;)
Hahaha, yeah, that's true. But choirs recorded in more conventional churches or school assembly halls - especially ones with 2nd story choral lofts where ambient mics might be anchored, for example - would make this an interesting and relevant question for those of us great unwashed not lucky enough to record in Notre Dame :)

G.

Back