Yorkville YSM1p monitor buzzing noise??

Neb_ulas said:
however it was interesting that each time i chose to put the faulty one on the the left(as i said before, i moved them afterwards but it did not fix the problem)... or perhaps it became faulty from sitting there, though i don't see how that could have happend...

Maybe if the speaker was damaged on the left side, it maybe damaged permanently....so even if you move it, its still damaged?

Did you take a good "right" speaker and plug into the left side to see if it would start rattling eventually?

this is a good gearhead article either way...imo, brain-teaser

Seriously guys, the only things I can think of that could have caused this are:

- Bad woofer assembly or bad woofer batch (asian stuff mass produced..)

- Low frequency amplifier has faulty component that doesn't prevent overloading of the woofer, which led to failure.

- Bad filtering which allowed the low frequency amp to amplify frequencies close to DC which destroyed the woofer after some time.

The guy that has had those troubles is not to blame, his system ain't either.
If I design an active speaker system, I have to take into account the environment and filter out everything that could harm the speaker itself.

Obviously, these monitors are cheap, they sound good, but the quality is lacking a lot. After hearing that story, I won't recommend them to anyone anymore as a good choice for cheap (but good sounding) monitors.

I wonder if I could make a passive YSM1 rattle. I should check this out, as I dislike active (powered) speakers to a point of no return.

Good speaker designers are good at acoustics and driver design. Good amplifier designers are good at amplifiers. Buy the best of both and put them together. Don't buy active speakers or it will have flaws, especially if it's made overseas. Remember: "jack of all trades, master of none".

Dewd, do you have any links on Yorkville outsourcing their gear? Are you sure??
I'd like the read if you have it.

I wouldn't be surprised as its so common these days. IMO, its not the same company or product at all once this starts, is why I ask.

your insinuating its all outsourced? I thought they were one of the few left, like Dynaudio that hadn't gone into that game.

Something may have changed as I read about these and over the past years there were rarely a problem, now recently its common to hear about poor glue job and now this 5qty buzzing speakers??

I looked all over mine and nothing mentioned other than Canada....but it did say Designed in Canada...not built in Canada.

Once outsourcing starts, its a new company, it's not the father company anymore but more of a "son-inherited" type company that may not have a fhkng clue...
first they do cheap labor, then its cheaper screws and less glue----->
costs fall off .............but so does the glued on grille cloth on the front of the speaker!! doh! :eek:

COOLCAT said:
Dewd, do you have any links on Yorkville outsourcing their gear? Are you sure??
I'd like the read if you have it.

I wouldn't be surprised as its so common these days. IMO, its not the same company or product at all once this starts, is why I ask.

your insinuating its all outsourced? I thought they were one of the few left, like Dynaudio that hadn't gone into that game.

Something may have changed as I read about these and over the past years there were rarely a problem, now recently its common to hear about poor glue job and now this 5qty buzzing speakers??

I looked all over mine and nothing mentioned other than Canada....but it did say Designed in Canada...not built in Canada.

Once outsourcing starts, its a new company, it's not the father company anymore but more of a "son-inherited" type company that may not have a fhkng clue...
first they do cheap labor, then its cheaper screws and less glue----->
costs fall off .............but so does the glued on grille cloth on the front of the speaker!! doh! :eek:

First of all, writing "designed in canada" is a smart way by yorkville to lead people to think these are made in Canada. They might be designed in Canada, but they are made overseas, in China.

The passive Yorkvilles are the same as the SLM-1 from ART, a company that makes el-cheapo studio products for beginners. Also, ART has a tradition of sending designs in China to cut labor costs and offer products at a lower price.

Now take a look at this link...

http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=53076

it clearly says the SLM-1 from ART is made in China. My whole point is that the passive Yorks are ARTs and are made in China. The active Yorks are based on the same design, why wouldn't they be made in China ? At best, the amplifiers are made in Canada, but the drivers are ASIAN CRAP.

Sad but true, Mackie is one of the only company that still manufactures its monitors in the USA. And God knows we need to encourage USA (or Canadian) made products, otherwise, we will end up being eaten alive by those Chineese and Indian people.

pretty strange, 5 qty Yorks having the same problem? same problem, same batch..that sounds believable

just to clarify, i had 4qty speakers that had the buzz/rattle problem not 5...
i had to send one back because it made this blue flash one time when i turned it on and then suddenly had no power... i'm guessing that a fuse blew in it...

Maybe if the speaker was damaged on the left side, it maybe damaged permanently....so even if you move it, its still damaged?

yes they were permenently damaged, the folks at long and Mquade have verified the problem in each one i've sent back..

Did you take a good "right" speaker and plug into the left side to see if it would start rattling eventually?

i did not try moving the speaker physicaly, only switching the outputs and cables, it would have been interesting just to see.. but i honestly couldn't imagine why moving a speaker to the left side of my desk would make it deteriorate in this fashion...

Seriously guys, the only things I can think of that could have caused this are:

- Bad woofer assembly or bad woofer batch (asian stuff mass produced..)

- Low frequency amplifier has faulty component that doesn't prevent overloading of the woofer, which led to failure.

- Bad filtering which allowed the low frequency amp to amplify frequencies close to DC which destroyed the woofer after some time.

The guy that has had those troubles is not to blame, his system ain't either.
If I design an active speaker system, I have to take into account the environment and filter out everything that could harm the speaker itself.

I think the dewd's statement is pretty much right on... i don't think it could have have been anything other than faulty production...

TheDewd said:
First of all, writing "designed in canada" is a smart way by yorkville to lead people to think these are made in Canada. They might be designed in Canada, but they are made overseas, in China.

To make things clear, if Yorkville was a Ford I would have rather chosen a Japanese car. Usually I buy Canadian and secondly USA products when quality is there. It's normal to support our local industry.

But now I feel betrayed as I saw in their YSM2P Pdf file the mention "Printed in China". Should I conclude that my moniters were assembled in China ?

SergeD

SergeD said:
To make things clear, if Yorkville was a Ford I would have rather chosen a Japanese car. Usually I buy Canadian and secondly USA products when quality is there. It's normal to support our local industry.

But now I feel betrayed as I saw in their YSM2P Pdf file the mention "Printed in China". Should I conclude that my moniters were assembled in China ?
SergeD
Hey fellow Montrealer!
Seriously, I'm with you as far as Ford is concerned, but that's another story.
Yorkville didn't have a choice IMHO. They wanted to be in the "cheap monitor ballgame" with the Samsons, Behringers, cheap KRK, Alesis, Tapco, etc...

The sad thing is that the requirement to play in that game is outsourcing, or you will never be competitive. I think Yorkville should have sought higher quality levels and make monitors with quality levels rivalling their PA stuff (which is absolutely great IMO). They should put out monitors in the 1000 to 30000$ range and bring competition to Dynaudio, Mackie, Genelec, EMES, Adam, Event, KRK, etc...but that's just my opinion.

CHEAP usually comes at the price of Quality.

the Wharfedale/Quad article in Home Theater ~oct~nov 2005 had the full blown article on their outsourcing.
100% China Made.

there is no Original company left...its all fake.

the only thing thats "The British Sound" they sell it as
was many years ago.
and the advertisements of some Old Inventor working under a candle in van down by the river....making this "craftsmen handbuilt with quality" Marketing bullshit. with Integrity is a joke.

The only thing left left of the original company is the advertisement pictures and the "name".

Their actually built in a million sq ft building in China side by side with 100 other speaker brands. Its cheap stuff, a big assembly line pooping out speakers in greta quantitys. Some say they sound great and time will tell on how long they last.

So who cares where their made? Unless you have some hang up about your money helping China build up its military. :confused:

Its BUDGET GUITAR CENTER MEGA_SUPER BLOWOUT-MART STUFF.

FENDER, now YORKS.... there is a concern as CHEAP usually comes at the price of Quality.

Hi TheDewd,

You're right about the outsourcing reality, but the fact is some day north american people will be jobless having no money to even buy cheap products.

Coolcat,

"Integrity" you're right on. I'm not upset because it's built in China it's because there is no mention about China in their documentation.

http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p1=2&p2=8&p_id=9
http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p1=2&p2=8&p_id=10

I sent them a mail to clarify the question.

------------------------------
Hi,

I recently bought your YSM2P monitor. this is a Canadian product and your YSM1P has very good reviews in forums and magazines. So I am proud to support our local products when the quality is there.

But in the PDF file it's written "Printed in China". In one forum I heard that your products were assembled in China.

Where is the truth ?

A Canadian customer,
-----------------------------

Their reply

The YSM2P is built for us in China under strict quality controls.
Some other price-sensitive items are built there too, again with close
attention to QC both there and here. Here in Pickering we still produce all
the pro-level products - Elite, TX, Audiopro, NX, Traynor tube amps,
Traynor extension cabinets, Bass Master amps, Bassmaster cabinets, all the
keyboard amps, etc., and we intend to continue doing so. We realize that
some companies have gone 100% to the Orient for production but it is our
intention to keep building here as long as the market continues to support us.
Thank you for your support.

My reply

Please put it on your website because I never seen anything of "China" in your YSM2P product info and I would also have consider others products instead of having patriotic concerns about our local jobs.

SergeD

CHEAP usually comes at the price of Quality

interesting, this may be the "root cause" of the problem BUZZZING speaker issues.

not the Technical answer I was interested in, but at least it probably answers the recent Quality Problem posts, of the Yorks recently.
Like the recent post on cones coming unglued & BUZZING issues on numerous speakers mentioned in this thread.

its just the same sham....after the labor cost is achieved by outsourcing to cheap labor, the same cost-savings mentality goes after the materials used.

SergeD...good post.keep 'em honest!

Yorkville sell out has a way to go before they catch up to Fender though!

Attachments

• Fender Tennis Shoes.jpg
    Fender Tennis Shoes.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 83
no more monitor issues..

Well Just to give you all an update.. I've had my KrK's now since i last posted back in feburary and i've had no problems with them... As i mentioned i was positive that my setup had nothing to do with the problem i was haveing.. i still find it hard to belive that i got so many bunk speakers though...

The problem is that the general public will always shop by price alone by majority. This makes products sold on price not quality.

It's a sad fact that the majority of manufacturing is now done in china for most equipment and that the north american and Canadian sector is shrinking fast.

Eventually our country will be a consumer country where almost everything is imported , we'll all work in walmart, home depot or zellers in dead end retail jobs working for minimum wage or work in the service industry.

What needs to happen ( and will happen eventually ) is that North america and Canada will impose high import tariffs for checp products imported from abroad. This will make north american product competitive in price again.

This is one of the reasons America has a huge trade deficit at the moment and Canada is losing millions of factory jobs as they all gradually close down. People here have taken pay cuts from $25 hr to $15 an hour in factorys to make their product worth making here. This will drop again over the next 5 years to minimum wage ( $7) because at the end of the day the almighty dollar influences the public spending trends and with the growing value of the Canadian dollar this exasperates the problem even more.

The fear I have for canada is that the canadian government is too spineless to impose sanctions on imports for fear of being voted out at the next election. This has been a long standing problem here for a long time , no one does anything to rock the boat!

I have the passive ysm1i's and i had the buzzing problem as well. the foam on one cone was not glued all the way around and was vibrating against the cone. this buzzing was stopped when the yorkville tech reglued the cone at L+M. no problems since and it happened over a year ago.

TheDewd said:
ART, a company that makes el-cheapo studio products for beginners. Also, ART has a tradition of sending designs in China to cut labor costs and offer products at a lower price.

Just my two cents worth here after working as a pro musician, engineer and producer in Vancouver for decades.

First of all, ART makes el-cheapo studio products for beginners and inexpensive to midpriced quality products for project studios and pro studios. Almost every major pro studio I've worked at in the lower mainland (greater Vancouver) has some ART gear, the company has been around for probably at least 20 years and always has good build quality and good gear for the price. Don't write them off, ART stuff is used in many pro recordings.

Secondly, ART has a tradition of having china build their gear. Sort of like Audio Technica, Fender, Gibson (obviously only the less expensive lines), Carvin (a leader in their industry in the 90s), and so on. In fact, the list of companies that doesn't manufacture anything in china is probably shorter than the list that does.

Well I have had a pair of active YSM2"s for about 4 months now and so far they have been pretty good monitors...The only problem is I have a small Buzzing (That word again...LOL) sound when I have the Volume Knob at certain positions but just moveing it a tad fixes the Problem....

I paid $300 canadian for the set at L & MC Q and were the cheapest monitors that they had but I"m happy with them and they sure beat the 2watt PC speakers that I was blowing up on a Daily basis....

Cheers

Minion said:
Well I have had a pair of active YSM2"s for about 4 months now and so far they have been pretty good monitors...The only problem is I have a small Buzzing (That word again...LOL) sound when I have the Volume Knob at certain positions but just moveing it a tad fixes the Problem....

I paid $300 canadian for the set at L & MC Q and were the cheapest monitors that they had but I"m happy with them and they sure beat the 2watt PC speakers that I was blowing up on a Daily basis....

Cheers

I don't get this. Having pot buzzing problems is a problem isn't it?
is the key word here "small"?? a "small" buzzing problem.
Only $300!!
Maybe the cheap China stuff will make the old passives and a good amp, more attractive to the consumers again, start the cycle over?
The Actives seem to have a much higher problem rate, than the pasive setups.

A friend and I talked about this Quality crap over dark Bavarian Oktoberfest beers. :p

Do we consumers have to go thru a pile of shit-built goods to get one that works and is cosmetically new? :eek:
Do the CEO's stuff more money into their pockets...expecting us to be lazy sloth retards who'll accept faulty products made at 3rd world sweat shops? wow? :confused:
it appears so.

IMO, send the faulty shit back, don't settle for faulty crap equipment.

and if they do it twice, fhk 'em..go to another company. ;)

Sorry my first post here, resurrecting this 5-year-old thread. ...

But for anyone buying these used:

The buzzing problem is the little printed circuit board (the amp part of the speaker) buzzing at resonant frequency, which is a high bass note, not sure of the note. This is why the speaker buzzes even at pretty low volume.

One of the pair I own is bad about it. I took it over to Freeman Tuell in Dallas and they found nothing wrong with the speakers.

The little amp board just pops inside the speaker like a memory board in a computer slot. So on three sides of the board there is nothing to damp it and keep the buzz down.

I got some 1/8" thick Dr. Scholl's moleskin (spongy stuff) with the adhesive on the back. Stuck that on the inside of the speaker plate so that when I screw the back of the speaker in - the moleskin contacts the amp PCB and dampens it a good bit, not perfect. Careful don't tighten so much as to snap the PCB. If anybody knows a better solution, like a rubber dampener that clamps on PCBs, that would be great.

Good sounding speakers though, pretty flat in my limited experience.

Last edited:
Back