Yorkville YSM1p monitor buzzing noise??

Tim Madorma

Hi,

I have been looking for some decent powered monitors for about $400.00. I noticed that many people on the forum like the Yorkville YSM1-p monitors, but I have noticed that some have spoken about a buzzing when there is a lot of low end. I saw that one person said that there was a "noise" issue with the early versions of this monitor. I have had very good results the the "budget" equipment that has been overwhelmingly recommended on this BBS. I was just about to order the Yorkvilles, but the posts regarding "buzzing" sound really made me think twice.. Does anyone have any further information regarding this issue?

I have seen the following users complain about this: ChuckU, marshall, Scinx (and one or two others).

thanks, Tim

Last edited:
I saw those postings too, Tim, right after I ordered my Yorkies. However, I've had mine for around a month now, and have not had any issues at all. I ended up getting the Yorkville sub as well, and so far, so good. My mixes are much improved since I got them. Perhaps the problem was only with earlier versions. I've been keeping my fingers crossed!

Send an email to Yorkville

Hi Nate,

I sent an email to Yorkville a couple days back to ask them about this. Still no reply as of yet. I'll let you know if they reply. I'm hoping it is the older ones too.. I'd like to pick up a pair.

thanks,
Tim

I just brought home a pair of new YSM1P monitors today. I'm hearing things i havent heard before. HOwever, about 30 or so minutes after listening to them, one of the monitors konked out. Unless i pressed in that little volume knob in the back, the monitor wouldn't produce any sound at all. In addition, turning the knob all ways created these terrible distorerd crackling noise. I returned this one monitor to the store for a replacement. Anyway, two hours later, all seems to be good.

When you bring them home, ensure you verify that there's nothing wrong with any of the switches, knobs on these things. I'm sure mine was a flaky fluke. Aside from this, so far they're great for the money! I was going to get the Tannoy Reveal Actives but found not worth the extra couple of hundred after hearing the Yorkvilles.

I'm not to happy about my yorkeville's... :mad: i've only had them since Nov. 20(not even two months) and had to send back two already(one for a buzzing problem.. and the other one blew a fuse two day's after i got it)... and today i'm hearing buzzing once again with the last one they sent me!... argh!!!!!!! i came across this post looking for info about the buzz problem and i see i'm not alone...from what i've gathered it seems to come from the foam ring around the middle speaker.... it vibrates at certain frequencys... and when i hold my finger on a certain spot on the foam ring, the buzzing stops... i'm only having this problem with one speaker, the left one seems fine... with all the hassle sending it back has been, i'm not sure i even want to do it again(a third time!)... i'm going to try a few more things(contacting yorkville, more testing..ect..) before i contact my supplier.. but i'm thinking that i might try to return them for a full refund( if i still can?)... my two cents....

My foam was not glued well either

Hey Neb_ulas,

My foam was not glued down well either so I had to do it myself. I can't remember what type of glue I used now.. it has been a while. But since I did it, my Yorkvilles have been great. Nice product, but it seems they have run into quality control problems. I have A/Bed these things with much more expensive monitors (Genelec) and they stood up very well. I feel your frustration man.. here's hoping things turn out well for you.

Tim

Ive had a pair for about a month now and I spent an evening driving them to the point of clipping but have had no problem.

They have a 2 year no fault warrenty so dont be afraid to push them and really stress test them.

I found switching the toggle switches on the back to compensate for my rooms acoustics helped tremendously with the reproduction. It pays to spend a few evenings with a crate of beer and some fiddling to get the best results out of these speakers.

The sub is also a great addition to these speakers, once you hear them all together you wont run without it. Especially if you like creating dance/techno/trance music :D

I would check your patch cables to them , i use yorkvilles patch cables with mine and keep them as short as possible so there is less chance of interference.

Tim Madorma said:
Hey Neb_ulas,

My foam was not glued down well either so I had to do it myself. I can't remember what type of glue I used now.. it has been a while. But since I did it, my Yorkvilles have been great. Nice product, but it seems they have run into quality control problems. I have A/Bed these things with much more expensive monitors (Genelec) and they stood up very well. I feel your frustration man.. here's hoping things turn out well for you.

Tim

intersting input on the genelecs.
I'm trying some yorks for 30days no issues yet. I was comparing to the DYN5A's, never had the $1,000 to float and side by side at the pad yet, but the yorks are pleasent to my ears and hold up well.
Only a few mixes an their alright imo. Loved the DYN5A's.

The un-glued cones whooa! thats messed up, their brand new? :confused:
I've read more problems here in this thread than before I bought.

haven't heard the buzzing on mine, do you know what frequency causes it?
i thought i read it was the hardware, amp rattling or something mentioned in a post.

its "honest" gearhead info. you don't get this shit in magazines.

I did go with the XLR, the 1/4" was a bit loose...no real issue once it was in. XLR seemed to make a better connection.for waht its worth.

Neb, its righteous you let the company know instead of just flaming them.
but 3 times? you tried swapping Left and Right and all the basics, I'd imagine.
dang 3 strikes, your out imo.

well having slept on it i've decided to give yorkville one more chance... i was a bit peaved off yesterday when i wrote my post(just after i found out i'd have to send them back again...) and i would way rather have a working pair of these than spending anymore money on something else....(i do really like them when there not buzzing... ha ha)
thanx for the info tim i must say i'm tempted to try fixing them my self, but if i do and something else goes wrong i'd risk losing my warrenty(and i did have to send one back for a different problem..blown fuse i think)...i've already talked to long and maquade in vancouver and i'm going to send them out this morning(btw those guys rock for customer service!)

i've tried all kinds of tests and i'm certain i've found whats causing it, as i mentioned in my first post the buzzing stops when i apply pressure on a certain place on the foam ring... also the frequency that trigger's the buzzing has been different both times, since it has to do with whatever frequency will start the foam vibrating... i tried listening to the song that was triggering buzzing in the first one i had to replace, but it sounded fine coming out of this set( its actually only one that's buzzing)...... thats why i was a bit worried about getting another next pair... you never know what frequency might set them off.... but so far though i've been able to find the faulty ones within 10 to 40 hours of use, so i don't really think i'll ever have the problem just pop up two years(after warrenty runs out) later... all in all i think there a great set of monitors so i'm going to try once more to get a solid pair, i just hope this is the last time i have problems with them...

YSM 1p's are a no go for this joe..

Well i'm sorry to say that i'm posting with more unpleasant news.... i don't know what happened with the shippment that yorkville sent out to vancouver but i've been through two more speakers since i last posted both with the same buzzing problem, bringing the replacment count up to 5 speakers... 4 of which had this "buzzing" problem... i'm sending out the pair i got last week, this afternoon and i'm going to exchange them for the KRK RP6's.... its too bad i couldn't get i decent pair of the yorky's, i liked em when they didn't buzz, but after trying 5 replacements i'm convinced that the universe would rather i use something else... ha ha

When a product is not made in the USA, things like that happen.
Heck, it's not even made in Canada!

cortexx said:
Are you sure its not something else causing it ? 4 bad speakers seems to be a bit over the top ? :eek:

Are you sure its not something else causing it ? 4 bad speakers seems to be a bit over the top ?

yeah i know i can hardly belive it myself, but i'm sure the problem was with the speaker's themselves... unless my room is situated ontop of some weird geomagnetic "speaker killing" force field, i know its got nothing to do with my setup... If for some reason i have problems with my next monitors i'll maybe think about calling a dowser... ha ha :)

I would still stick with the yorkvilles , i have a pair running with the matched sub and they sound really nice. I would have paid more for the equipment without hesitation , and i love their warrenty too .

cortexx said:
Are you sure its not something else causing it ? 4 bad speakers seems to be a bit over the top ? :eek:

yeah, something doesn't "sound" right?
4qty being bad seems abnormal for any brand from my expierience.

was it the same side every time?

I'm surprised Yorkville didn't just refund your money after the 3rd one.
I mean they've probably already lost any $profit plus some, on your order.

KRK RP6, good luck... if they buzz though, you might want to look somehwere else.

You aren't playing Immigrant Song by Led Zep at volume=11,
by any chance are you?

TheDewd you say Yorks aren't made in Canada either?
This may be another reason quality is flopping off too, if true, imo.

COOLCAT said:
TheDewd you say Yorks aren't made in Canada either?
This may be another reason quality is flopping off too, if true, imo.
Well, ART and Yorkville order the design for these monitors from an asian monitor company. I remember seeing the back of one unit once and was shocked that it wasn't made in Canada, since most Yorks are made in Canada,

yeah, something doesn't "sound" right?
4qty being bad seems abnormal for any brand from my expierience.

was it the same side every time?

I know it doesn't make any sense... but I'm sure the problem was originating with the speakers because of these reasons..

1. only one speaker would buzz, so clearly it was not coming from my mixes...I double checked by monitoring the ouputs seperately, and through headphones
2. i tried switching the cables from my outputs to see if that was an issue and it was not.
3. the faulty speaker would rattle independant of where it was situated, i moved it around my room to see if that had an effect...i even held it on my lap..
4. the rattleing noise was clearly coming from the speaker, not from something else in the room vibrating..
5. the speakers would play all my recordings fine except for a certain song that would trigger the rattle... its been 4 differernt songs everytime! and each speaker would play the previous "trigger" tracks with no rattleing problem...

I really don't think there is anything i've overlooked, but please feel free to tell me if you think i have missed something... the funny thing is, that it was alway's happening to the speaker i placed on the left side of my computer monitor(the one on the right was the same distance from the screen not that it should matter)... there is no specific left or right labels on these speakers so my placement was arbitrary however it was interesting that each time i chose to put the faulty one on the the left(as i said before, i moved them afterwards but it did not fix the problem)... or perhaps it became faulty from sitting there, though i don't see how that could have happend...

the fellow who sold me the speakers in vancouver thinks that perhaps they got a crappy batch in on their last order since all my faulty ones came from the same shippment...

I would still stick with the yorkvilles , i have a pair running with the matched sub and they sound really nice. I would have paid more for the equipment without hesitation , and i love their warrenty too .
Yesterday 11:25

I liked the sound too, and belive me i wanted to stick with the yorky's but after 5 replacments, i'm sick of waiting around for the purolator truck to show up in my driveway....

I'm surprised Yorkville didn't just refund your money after the 3rd one.
I mean they've probably already lost any $profit plus some, on your order.

I'm amazed that the folks at long and mquade haven't told me to get lost yet... its them that have had to pay for all the shipping back and forth, not yorkeville... and at around 40 to 60 bucks per trip oneway, they have probably already paid nearly as much as i did for the speakers, just in shipping!

I have already emailed yorkville and told them my story... their were a couple of folks there that i exchanged info with... they did mention to me certain suspect causes for my problem...however it doesn't seem like they know exactly what was causeing it, and probably won't untill they actually get the speakers back and take them apart...

the fellow who sold me the speakers in vancouver thinks that perhaps they got a crappy batch in on their last order since all my faulty ones came from the same shippment...

there's a thought...Batches.

yeah, i've heard that recently with some Fender MIMexico stuff.
What I was told they load the assembly line for different models of amps.
They build a certain amount of Model A, then will switch the line over to build Model B, as I understand it on and on etc.... Batches.

So for example, when a bunch of amps had shabby grille cloth work, in a couple different stores GC said it was probably a bad batch too.

which doesn't account Fender website says "each one" is inspected blah,blah,blah. and GC didn't pull them from the floor? I guess some people don't care about loose grille cloths or other issues, or its just business as usual. :eek:

pretty strange, 5 qty Yorks having the same problem? same problem, same batch..that sounds believable.

...your KRK RP6's should be the final judge.
they should tell if it's your system or the speakers soon enough.

good luck.

Back