Would you consider buying a used microphone post COVID?

This is up there with your other "I read some stuff on the internet and now I have made up some facts to fit in my noggin" stuff. Seriously.

Oh you like that? There's more where that came from.

Screenshot 2020-12-30 152633.png

Dude I bet that tree was marijuana. Some seedling handed down from Yoko's great ancestors. Paul , uses his marijuana tree to communicate with dead paul..

What microphone has the least ability to pick up transients?

I want to be flattered.

Show no warts.
It depends what kind of warts you are trying to hide, how big they are and where they are. And, you know, one person's warts might be someone else's "character" for all I know.

Technical flaws in your singing (and not saying there are any) are not going to be fixed by a microphone, but a vocal coach. Poor mic technique and problems with recording space, can be helped by choice of mic, and then just some YT videos, if a coach is out of the question. That's why I like plain cardioid mics for myself and most anyone else I might record, since even experienced singers are generally going to sound good on good cardioid mic.

What's wrong with your basic SM58, for instance? And I'm guessing you tried more broadcast type mics like the RE20 and SM7b? The MD441-U is something I'd like to hear sometime, but it's way too spendy for my wallet, plus it's supercardioid, which I've decided not to use.

I've found that condensers are nice, but they do pick up a lot of detail that it sounds like you want to avoid. But, really, good mics, with some degree of variance, pick up the same things, but in varying degrees over their frequency response and polar pattern, and the source's distance and angle to the diaphragm. What you end up with can be a little or a lot of work to fit into the mix, but it's still going to sound like the source if you recorded it well.

The only thing I don't have experience with is a ribbon, and that's something I'm curious to try, as well, but for me, the SM58 is adequate, with a little bit of taming of sibilance from that frequency bump most mics aimed at live use have.

Why no supercard's?
Short answer, I just have seen them create more problems with inexperienced singers, and the polar pattern can limit placement, and some of them (not the MD441) have a pronounced peak in the upper frequencies to help them "cut through the mix" as they say.

Elaboration - the tighter pattern is really at its best for someone that stays tight on the mic (often handheld), and a lot of them are designed for high volume stages, IMO, which I never will be on again. They also have that little tail in the polar pattern, which can introduce noise if not minded during setup, especially if using floor wedge monitors. (The "tail" isn't a problem if you have the gain down and the singer is belting into a mic held against their lips - but someone sitting a foot away, warbling and bobbing their head around requires the gain to be cranked, and then it does start to pick up stuff.)

Short answer, I just have seen them create more problems with inexperienced singers, and the polar pattern can limit placement, and some of them (not the MD441) have a pronounced peak in the upper frequencies to help them "cut through the mix" as they say.

They also have that little tail in the polar pattern, which can introduce noise if not minded during setup)

The hyper's and supercard's only pick up the sound you are recording. No reflections. I record in a small unfinished bedroom. I thought it worked out.

20201231_134721.jpg

---------- Update ----------

the M88 is probably my pick for vocals.

The P420 is so damn sensitive I put a winter coat over it, or a SM7b's windscreen.

I tried the SM7b. Did not find anything I liked .

Never tried the RE20 or 320.

Last edited:
How loud are your amps when you place the microphone up to the grill?

I stay around -12-15 lufs on the meter at render. Render as mp3.

My amp is , volume dial is at 1 or .75 out of 10. Is that too low? It is comfortable volume in the room. Not loud at all. But the microphone is 2-3 cm away from the grill. Or touching the grill. If I turn it up, I hear the room being too small. From my ears location.

Youtube video above is 1 foot away with the ribbon.

The hyper's and supercard's only pick up the sound you are recording. No reflections. I record in a small unfinished bedroom. I thought it worked out.
Try that on a stage with loud floor wedges that have the back of a supercardiod in front of them. (There's a reason Shure includes a little piece of cardboard in the Beta58a box you hang on the mic to show you where to place your monitor speakers.)

So I tried the MD421 . It is very tasty on the bass cabinet. I would recommend it to another as a solid bass instrument mic. A keeper to say the least. Rep well deserved. Has that 'something else'.

View attachment 107686

so you grabbed a used one and saved $100+?, you wiped it down and let it sit or UV' ray gunned it?
classic mic, a good read too on the 421,.. nice addition to the mic locker, congrats!
looking inside the mic in the picture, amazing ...who the&^%* comes up with this?

Attachments

• MD421 Sennheiser.png
    MD421 Sennheiser.png
    212 KB · Views: 14
Said it was B stock. Liquidating merch bought at lower price. Not previously owned.

Yes, the 421 is excellent. Most of the classics are pretty safe bets.

Great on the bass cabinet. On Voice, I needed to roll off the bass on the dial before I found something I thought ok. The M88 still works better for me. Actually. ..

The best way I do vocals is on a V synth. Use the vocal designer. Take a SM58 sample the line. Play your vocal with blended pitch correction on a keyboard. It comes out alright. Faked, but ok.

Here, hear.
VocalproducerVsynth by Mark C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Yappy New year Yall.

I m a little hot wired , but Im feelin ok.

.. and for folks in the US as well. I have no idea what he's talking about. Maybe it's a Philly thing.

Plus it appears to have nothing to do with microphones. Just another totally off topic post, I guess.

Don't believe the lies.

2021 is all truth.

If its microphone advertisements, people, politics...Don't believe the lies.

Yeah - I go off topic...so. Its good chit chat.

I told you I been using the same guitar gear. Yeah, did the sampling and Hexapickup for ADAT. That is different.

Playing the same guitar at 15 as 46. I cannot find a pic with my ADA gear too. But look at that RADIO SHACK microphone.
Screenshot 2021-01-01 155552.png

me46.jpgme15.jpg

Last edited:
How much is this bad boy worth?

1989 Radio Shack Microphone.

20210101_161107.jpg

Dont believe the lies.
Screenshot 2021-01-01 155552.png

I bet rob aint got one of these.

Last edited:
No I put nails in with a hammer, but could try it. Oh, by the way, B stock is usually mail order returns now, not old stock. So tatty box’s, small scratches, crumpled instructions, so mics will almost certainly have been sung into.

Change subject slightly, something on breakfast tv about how easy it is to catch COVID and other germs. Have you smelled people passing you in the street smelling of vape scent or cannabis? Even in lockdown but doing your allowed exercise. If you smelt it, then stuff that was in their lungs is now in yours, even outside at a distance and every droplet capable of carrying more than smell!

Back