Would someone help me set up my interface with Reaper? I'm an old newbie...

the "not connected thing was happening on mine if I unplugged the interface while I was messing,& it re-appeared when I plugged it back in?

as if it needed to re-select or something?

REMOTE CONTROL :eek:

Hey jiff,

I thought I'd check back one more time before I go to bed. I haven't unplugged the usb from the interface. Maybe I should and see if anything resets. What did you do to get rid of the Xs? When hovering the cursor over the Xs, it is suggested that it may be in use elsewhere (not the wording, but you know what I mean) but I don't know what else I can disable, really.

Haha, I've never tried remote control like this either, except for a time or two when a techie made adjustments to other pcs. I do see that it's an option. Apparently I could send you and invitation via your email and when you accept, you can use my pc just as if you were hear, except you would not hear the studio monitors. Want to set a time and day and give it a try?

Thanks for all your help, jiff. I guess I'd better go to bed so I can work tomorrow. Have a good night.

I could give it a try, but first i need to find out <( HOW)> I do it, it happens but not with any certainty?
I shall keep trying to learn,& then if you still need it :thumbs up:
but i think we are nearly there! :)

mind what I know about windows 8 is written on this page!(nothing 00 -10)

+1 for that!

I'm on holiday in Tenerife ,so not able to check things!
But have you checked the ASIO config panel as well?
It's most likely a little thing like that?
Keep at it,,, it's worth it in the end!

Yes. Open reaper options/preferences (or control + P) Audio: device; System should be asio4all and ASIO configuration
dropdown menu select asio4all

Yes. Open reaper options/preferences (or control + P) Audio: device; System should be asio4all and ASIO configuration
dropdown menu select asio4all

Hello BiggerBear,

Thanks, I have those options selected and showing. It seems one of the problems is when I have ASIO/ASIO4ALL selected, the io2 isn't shown in the in/out dropdown menu. But, if I select something other than ASIO/ASIO4ALL, io2 IS shown as optons in the in/out menu. Weird, huh?

I could give it a try, but first i need to find out <( HOW)> I do it, it happens but not with any certainty?
I shall keep trying to learn,& then if you still need it :thumbs up:
but i think we are nearly there! :)

mind what I know about windows 8 is written on this page!(nothing 00 -10)

Hey jiff!

Apparently what I know about W8 is the sames as you! I'm going to go spend a little time with the Reaper/Alesis/W8/ASIO4ALL mystery again tonight. I'll sure be glad when I can start recording instead of this monkey-work. Yes, please! I can use all the help I can get, haha! Thanks again.

right, yesterday while talking to a mate in oz on facebook, I learned:-

I tried to find a song to send to him, I had the RED crosses, they would NOT go untill facebook was CLOSED.
then while trying different things, I unplugged the interface,,,the output was still set on IO2 & would NOT change until I closed & restarted reaper.
With the interface dis-connected I tried to select IO2 & got the yellow "beyond logic" things, these went when i double clicked on the ASIO config box in prefs'.
So the main thing was reaper & ASIO work together BUT NOT while anything else is going on!...........

Also, can you try your interface in a different USB port, with ONLY reaper going to see that it registers & then plug it in with nothing running THEN start reaper.

I had varying results,but a lot more"positive" when reaper was the ONLY thing running!(& even quiting reaper & restarting!) :rolleyes:

right, yesterday while talking to a mate in oz on facebook, I learned:-

I tried to find a song to send to him, I had the RED crosses, they would NOT go untill facebook was CLOSED.
then while trying different things, I unplugged the interface,,,the output was still set on IO2 & would NOT change until I closed & restarted reaper.
With the interface dis-connected I tried to select IO2 & got the yellow "beyond logic" things, these went when i double clicked on the ASIO config box in prefs'.
So the main thing was reaper & ASIO work together BUT NOT while anything else is going on!...........

Also, can you try your interface in a different USB port, with ONLY reaper going to see that it registers & then plug it in with nothing running THEN start reaper.

I had varying results,but a lot more"positive" when reaper was the ONLY thing running!(& even quiting reaper & restarting!) :rolleyes:

Hello jiff,

I'll unplug/replug the usb cord, thanks. I had read that nothing unnecessary needed to be running when using Reaper, so I had already went through and tried to make sure that was true of my pc. I read about one guy who was having trouble, and it was caused by Spotfy running in the background. I don't seem to have any of the problematic-type programs running at all.

I'm still worried about the W8 not being compatible with ASIO4ALL. Even the ASIO4ALL website only lists it as being useful up through W7. W8 is so new, it's difficult to find good info. I'm going to try a Dell techie and see if they can tell me if AIO4ALL will work with W8. I'll keep you posted.

Your buddy in oz...he's not the wizard, is he? haha Have a good evening, jiff. Thank you.

Hi Foxwaves,
I have been seeing a LOT of problems with W8, in the reaper forum(which you should consider joining, there's a lot of genious's/i/ very clever guy's, even one who claims he worked on the development of W8, I think between that & this forum we have all bases covered!).
I hope it can be done, did you check on the ASIO not working with 64bit?, as i said there's totally no problem with D/L'ing 32bit & have it as well(might be worth a try!,,certainly won't harm anything.)

I'll keep seaching myself as it's become a NEED to know thing for me!,,, & if you can post the results here to help anybody else who might be having the same probs!

Jiff :)

oh my mate in OZ is certainly not a computer wizard anyway,, he's a rugby coach/ex muso!

Hi Foxwaves,
I have been seeing a LOT of problems with W8, in the reaper forum(which you should consider joining, there's a lot of genious's/i/ very clever guy's, even one who claims he worked on the development of W8, I think between that & this forum we have all bases covered!).
I hope it can be done, did you check on the ASIO not working with 64bit?, as i said there's totally no problem with D/L'ing 32bit & have it as well(might be worth a try!,,certainly won't harm anything.)

I'll keep seaching myself as it's become a NEED to know thing for me!,,, & if you can post the results here to help anybody else who might be having the same probs!

Jiff :)

oh my mate in OZ is certainly not a computer wizard anyway,, he's a rugby coach/ex muso!

Hey jiff,

I spent a long time searching the Reaper forum. Seems some had problems with W8, other didn't. I just got off a chat with Dell tech support about the compatibility of ASIO4ALL and W8and really got no answers there either. I've spent another night trying different settings, but still no good. I don't know what else to do...but I know I need to go to bed if I'm going to be able to work tomorrow, haha. The forum on the ASIO4ALL site seems to indicate that there aren't any compatibility problems with the version I have.

I haven't tried the 32 bit Reaper version. Some place I read that the version didn't matter, and only one place did someone say that they were better off with 32 bit, but I think that was for plug-ins. I wish this were sorted out, jiff. Thanks for helping!

I have a quick suggestion, though it might come across as crass. Buy OEM Windows 7 for $100, and everything will just work. :)

I have heard of many problems with W8 lately. I almost replaced my internet PC with a $400 Dell on sale at Costco. i7 and 8gig ram, but all the crap I have heard about W8 (that they come with now) from a friend of mine....Naw....

W7 is about as stable as you can get now. I myself, would save myself the stress, and get back to making s**t happen.

I have a quick suggestion, though it might come across as crass. Buy OEM Windows 7 for $100, and everything will just work. :)

I have heard of many problems with W8 lately. I almost replaced my internet PC with a $400 Dell on sale at Costco. i7 and 8gig ram, but all the crap I have heard about W8 (that they come with now) from a friend of mine....Naw....

W7 is about as stable as you can get now. I myself, would save myself the stress, and get back to making s**t happen.

Hey jimmy,

I've been beating my head against a brick wall, I guess. I was on Dell tech chat last night, asking if ASIO4ALL drivers worked with W8, and as I expected the guy did as I had already done and went to the ASIO4ALL website and saw that the drivers are only stated to be stated to be supported through W7. However, the guy that runs the ASIO4ALL forum says that there should be no problem.

The Dell tech guy did tell me about a compatibility program in W8. I briefly looked at it, and it seems to cause W8 to revert to previous Windows versions (such as W7) for specific software as required for functionality. I was to sleepy last night to get into it, but maybe that is the key. I know there are shells for W8 that mimic earlier versions in appearance, but it's still W8. However, if W8 has built in the ability to actually become W7 (or XP, or whatever) to play well with a particular software, maybe it has possibilities!?

If that doesn't work, I'll probably end up getting a new W7 cpu and an interface with it's own ASIO driver. Of course, I'll spend a ton of time trying to figure out which interface is the biggest bang for the buck.

OK...I've got some other drivers to deal with now; nail drivers, haha. Thanks, jimmy.

I've seen something about this on the reaper forum, I didn't take any notice at the time,
I hope you find a solution soon it must be very frustrating!, I know I am.
I shall keep looking to see if I can find any other solutions

If we don't find a answer soon you'll have to learn to play guitar again,, if that's what you play?
Fight the good fight!
JIFF:)

Why don't you just use the WDM drivers? At least get going on recording. I understand that the ASIO is preferred, but WDM drivers might be so much improved in Win8, that ASIO4ALL might not be needed, hence not updated. At least get it working and see what you have. Worth a shot. You could also try the WASPI, just get it working. I wouldn't fixate on ASIO for now.

Just a thought.

I've seen something about this on the reaper forum, I didn't take any notice at the time,
I hope you find a solution soon it must be very frustrating!, I know I am.
I shall keep looking to see if I can find any other solutions

If we don't find a answer soon you'll have to learn to play guitar again,, if that's what you play?
Fight the good fight!
JIFF:)

You're right, jiff. I'm spending too much time fiddling with computer settings when what I want to do is make music. Guitar is my main instrument, but I dabble with others. I thought with a new pc, new interface and Reaper that setup would be a snap, haha.

Thanks again for your efforts, jiff. I'll do something and keep you posted.

Why don't you just use the WDM drivers? At least get going on recording. I understand that the ASIO is preferred, but WDM drivers might be so much improved in Win8, that ASIO4ALL might not be needed, hence not updated. At least get it working and see what you have. Worth a shot. You could also try the WASPI, just get it working. I wouldn't fixate on ASIO for now.

Just a thought.

Hey DM60,

That's a great suggestion! I'll give that a try. With the io2 Express interface...I suppose it just works with the PC's drivers? The WDM drivers you mentioned? Thanks, I'll let you know what happens.

Hello jiff & DM60,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Life happened and I didn't get to try using other drivers until a few minutes ago. I tried every option in the list, but none worked. When I try the "WDM Kernel Streaming" option, I get a box that says "Reaper Error...there was an error opening your audio hardware". I either get that message for some of the other options, but I could get none to work. When I use the ASIO/ASIO4ALL settings, in the config box I have the 3 red Xs and "Status: Unavailable!" with the usual question about Wave synth (which I disabled long ago) and asking if it is in use by another application. I have system sounds muted (maybe theres a way to disable instead of mute?) and I don't see any audio-type programs that would be a problem. I have the volumes set at 4 for speakers and mic.

I'm still open for remote access if anyone want to give it a try...

Thanks again!

Back