Would someone help me set up my interface with Reaper? I'm an old newbie...

foxwaves

Hello,

I've been trying and trying and just can't seem to get the setting right for my Alesis io2 Express interface and Reaper. I have a new, nice spec PC with Windows 8 (yuk!) and have downloaded ASIO4ALL from the Alesis website.

Nothing I try seems to work. I was able to quickly record a test track, and have waveforms and meters moving, but nothing out of the monitors. I know it's just some little combination of setting that I need to tweak somewhere.

I hesitate to ask anyone to take time to do it, but I sure could use some guidance. Work limits my time here, but I'll answer every question I can as soon as I can if you could help me get this all set up. Thanks!!

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide/ReaperUserGuide440C.pdf

:D Have you got the pdf manual it's free to D/L, all the set up info is on section 1.12, try there!

(sounds like it's just the outs that need sorting?)

Thanks, jiff. I've looked at that section in the manual (thanks, though for taking time to send the link), bought a big book titled "Reaper Power" but it seems to assume you know how to set everything up...and I've searched online, studied the little interface manual...but I'm still stuck.

You're right, it seems like just the outs need tweaking. When I select ASIO, it doesn't show the IO2 as i/o options. When I select Waveout, IO2 is there, but I still get no sound from the monitors. I have the mix knob over to usb on the interface...I know it's just some little thing I don;t have right somewhere, and I'll kick myself when it's sorted out, haha.

I do appreciate your help! Have a great weekend!

I'm on holiday in Tenerife ,so not able to check things!
But have you checked the ASIO config panel as well?
It's most likely a little thing like that?
Keep at it,,, it's worth it in the end!

I'm on holiday in Tenerife ,so not able to check things!
But have you checked the ASIO config panel as well?
It's most likely a little thing like that?
Keep at it,,, it's worth it in the end!

Thanks, jiff; I hope you're having a good time. I did check the ASIO config tab many times, and just can't get everything to communicate. I'll keep trying. I'm determine, if clueless! Thanks for helping me.

Hi fox,
Can you do a screenshot of the setup panel in prefs, it helps a lot once we can see that things are right!
It's really worth learning how to do them,, in W7 it's in start & has a scissors logo,,
Google, it if you don't know how! :D

Hi fox,
Can you do a screenshot of the setup panel in prefs, it helps a lot once we can see that things are right!
It's really worth learning how to do them,, in W7 it's in start & has a scissors logo,,
Google, it if you don't know how! :D

Thanks, jiff. I figured I'd need to do that, but never have. The pc I bought for recording has Windows 8, and it's very different from all the other versions. Had I known, I would have stayed with Windows 7! I will Google and learn how to do screen shots, thanks!

Win8 : To take a screenshot, hold down the Windows key and press the PrtScn (Print Screen) button on your keyboard.

The picture is in the account picture folder.

Win8 : To take a screenshot, hold down the Windows key and press the PrtScn (Print Screen) button on your keyboard.

The picture is in the account picture folder.

Thanks, Auralsects! That sounds super simple, even for an old guy like me! I appreciate your time and information!

Looking at Reaper, There is a drop down and ASIO should be a selection/selected (Preferences->Device->Audio System. Then there is an output range below inputs. This is where you will need your documentation from your interface card. The outputs to your speakers should be selected to route the sound to those outputs.

Not sure that helps, but I think you probably have 4 possible outputs, mains and monitors (1-4). If you can provide information on your interface, that might help as well.

Looking at Reaper, There is a drop down and ASIO should be a selection/selected (Preferences->Device->Audio System. Then there is an output range below inputs. This is where you will need your documentation from your interface card. The outputs to your speakers should be selected to route the sound to those outputs.

Not sure that helps, but I think you probably have 4 possible outputs, mains and monitors (1-4). If you can provide information on your interface, that might help as well.

Thanks, DM60. I'm back at it again, trying to sort through this, and appreciate your help. I went to the dropdowns you listed (I've been there sooo many times in the past week!) but still am not sure what I need to do.

My interface is an Alesis io2 Express, and I'm running the dreaded Windows 8. I bought this pc just for my new studio, and had no idea how radical the changes would be in Win 8 from all the previous versions. Ayyy!

I am, for the first time, going to try to post the suggested screen shots and maybe one of you good folks will be able to point me in the right direction. Have a good day!

Screen Shots

I've never tried making or uploading screen shots before; probably wouldn't be a problem...except for Windows 8...arggg! But, I'm married to it now, so I'll have to learn, or maybe download a "classic shell" of Win 7. I hope the screen shots are there!

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    205 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    189.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    224.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    359.8 KB · Views: 50
Before you further troubleshooting in Reaper, you should be able to hear your Windows sounds. Once these work, you can then go back to Reaper. This makes troubleshooting easier. Once you get it working in Windows, Reaper will be straight forward. You can go back to the control panel sound, click on the tab sound and you will see the windows sounds list. Where ever you see a speaker Icon, there is a sound file, find one and use it for testing. If you don't hear sound from Windows, your computer is not set up correctly.

You may want to bypass the ASIO driver for now and just use whatever Windows loads since this device uses generic USB drivers, I would focus on getting sound out, then move to ASIO configuration, then to Reaper.

So, I don't think it is the Reaper set up just yet.

I think there's conflict there?
The last shot shows IO2 selected as default out, BUT shot 3 shows IO2 is NOT selected from the drop-downs,
So the ASIO panel shows the IO2 as not selected either?
I think the IO2 should be selected in all?,,, worth a try?

I think I found the problem. Looking at your screen shot, on the Preferences, you have HDAudio selected as out. Looking at ASIO popup, it shows the label HDAudio. Which, if I were to bet, would be the Realtek output. For output, you should see other output selection that is not labeled HD. Those are you interfaces output.

This might be what jiff 41 is saying. But it is spot on I think. Find your cards output in Reaper for output range, and I think that might solve your problem.

Last edited:
The way to select IO2 in prefs, where it says output range/input range HD audio stereo 1etc, there's a down facing arrow on other side,if you klik on that you should see it!,, select 1 on the first,2 on other, oh and the out will be coming from the IO2 then NOT the PC speakers

Last edited:
Before you further troubleshooting in Reaper, you should be able to hear your Windows sounds. Once these work, you can then go back to Reaper. This makes troubleshooting easier. Once you get it working in Windows, Reaper will be straight forward. You can go back to the control panel sound, click on the tab sound and you will see the windows sounds list. Where ever you see a speaker Icon, there is a sound file, find one and use it for testing. If you don't hear sound from Windows, your computer is not set up correctly.

You may want to bypass the ASIO driver for now and just use whatever Windows loads since this device uses generic USB drivers, I would focus on getting sound out, then move to ASIO configuration, then to Reaper.

So, I don't think it is the Reaper set up just yet.

Thanks, DM60. Sounds like a good idea. I did have sounds on the pc speakers at first, but I disabled all windows sounds because I had read that it should be done for the ASIO4ALL driver. I'll go back and reset that as yous suggest. Thanks again!

I think there's conflict there?
The last shot shows IO2 selected as default out, BUT shot 3 shows IO2 is NOT selected from the drop-downs,
So the ASIO panel shows the IO2 as not selected either?
I think the IO2 should be selected in all?,,, worth a try?

Hey jiff. Thanks for helping me. It's odd, but when I select ASIO, I don't have the option for IO2. If I select the regular pc speaker option, then the IO2 option is there. I've got something twisted up somewhere. As you noticed, I have the IO2 set as the default...

I think I found the problem. Looking at your screen shot, on the Preferences, you have HDAudio selected as out. Looking at ASIO popup, it shows the label HDAudio. Which, if I were to bet, would be the Realtek output. For output, you should see other output selection that is not labeled HD. Those are you interfaces output.

This might be what jiff 41 is saying. But it is spot on I think. Find your cards output in Reaper for output range, and I think that might solve your problem.

I'm not sure I follow you, DM60. When I have ASIO selected, HD Audio i/o are the only options in the drop-down box. Weird, huh? I wonder why I don't have the option for the IO2 when I have ASIO selected? The IO2 Option is there when I select the pc default.

Haha, I like the reason you state for editing your message; sounds like me! Thanks again for taking time to help me.

The way to select IO2 in prefs, where it says output range/input range HD audio stereo 1etc, there's a down facing arrow on other side,if you klik on that you should see it!,, select 1 on the first,2 on other, oh and the out will be coming from the IO2 then NOT the PC speakers

Hey jiff...I'll go check that out right now! Maybe that's what I've overlooked! Did you notice in screenshot #3 that I have 3 little red "X"s on the little ASIO driver pop-up? It always asked if I have disable wave (I have, I think) or something about was it being used by something else (whicj is why I disabled pc sounds). I'll let you know how it goes; thank again!

Back