Woodgrain

I love wood, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a wood-finish electric guitar. To me, it's a tool for manufacturing ROCK, it's not a piece of furniture. :D

I like painted guitars....solid colors are nice, but if it's semi-transparent, that's fine to, and at that point the grain isn't all that important, so long as there aren't any nasty knots/etc. showing through the transparent color.

The guitars without paint and/or the flame tops...the grain becomes the "paint", and the look of the thing...so yeah, nicer grain makes it look like a better guitar, but the look of the grain won't make a big difference in sound/playability, though it does make a difference in what makes for a quality build.
I mean, if the grain runs nice, and the flame top has perfectly matched halves...it does raise the quality level compared to something all knotty and mismatched looking.
They might both sound equally good and play equally well....but the better looking one is always going to hit higher on the quality meter, IMO.

Let's talk about relic'ing. Lol. I know, personal taste and all that shit, but I REALLY don't get that stuff. Especially when it's patterned after some famous player. Like, an exact replica of SRV's cigarette burns and sweat stains and shit? It boggles my mind. I love a guitar that's been worn in by years of hard playing. I just don't understand buying one that way. :confused:

If you're loaded and have the discretionary cash, I can see getting something like the SRV as a curiosity piece, like a work of art, but the regular relic'ing stuff, I don't get either. I do love a beat up guitar, but only the real thing. I don't see paying someone hundreds of dollars more to beat up a new one for me.

I love wood, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a wood-finish electric guitar. To me, it's a tool for manufacturing ROCK, it's not a piece of furniture. :D

Well, to me, it's not so much a piece of furniture as it is a piece of art, but then furniture can be art too. I guess I just subscribe to the Michael Grave design philosophy that something can be extremely functional and ergonomic and look cool at the same time. But like I said, some of the coolest looking things to me are also pretty beat up.

Let's talk about relic'ing. Lol. I know, personal taste and all that shit, but I REALLY don't get that stuff.

Relic'ed is a beautiful concept. :D

Now days. everything can be sold as "relic'ed.
Drop a mic down a flight of stairs and dent up the grill and scratch up the paint...just put it up on eBay as a "Relic'ed Mic For Sale".

If it's a few years old....you can say "Vintage Relic'ed Mic For Sale"....and also raise the price. :)

Oh, okay then. I have a bunch of relic'd picks and strings. Ooooh, I can make a killing on relic'd drum sticks. :)

Oh, okay then. I have a bunch of relic'd picks and strings. Ooooh, I can make a killing on relic'd drum sticks. :)

You laugh, but I'll bet if you signed them as Greg_L or Gerg and put them in the classifieds section here, you'd be surprised at how many you'd sell.

Well, to me, it's not so much a piece of furniture as it is a piece of art, but then furniture can be art too. I guess I just subscribe to the Michael Grave design philosophy that something can be extremely functional and ergonomic and look cool at the same time. But like I said, some of the coolest looking things to me are also pretty beat up.

I suppose with me it's not wanting to be one of those people that buys a quilted maple PRS. There is a type of person that sees this kind of thing as beautiful and an indicator of quality. The same kind of people like multiple-layered abalone bindings. I dislike ostentation. A guitar is just a tool to me. Both of my current stage guitars are beaten up and customised cheapies. I think my Tele is a Chord. But I also wear lots of studded belts and smack into things so an ornamental guitar would be ruined in no time!

Am I alone in not giving a fuck about wood grain, matched flame maple tops, quilt, knurly walnut, etc? I think I might be. It seems people lose their shit over how wood looks on a guitar. Yeah great it looks nice and all but I don't get it. My coffee table looks nice too. Slap some paint on that bitch and go.

lol, you know my answer already. I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of the thread. Call me when the fights start. :D

I'm not a big fan of burst LP's BUT I was in Long and McQuade a few months ago and there was one high hanging behind the desk that was really well done - work of art. No idea the model but it was really cool, I hadn't seen one like it online or since. It wasn't quilt it was some sort of flame matched but the sunburst was really cool - not clown burst. It's one I would buy.
Speaking of woodgrain, I hate those "natural" guitars with just plastic coating with all the grain in them. YMMV.

Bubba, I also dislike ostentation. I have no desire for anything with all the fancy inlay, though I can appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship that went into making it.

I like woodgrain, but it can be plain woodgrain. I'm usually not a fan of all the fancy stuff.

And ido1957, 'natural' guitars are exactly the kind of thing I like. A natural, unstained maple 335 is a thing of beauty.

dragon_23-1.jpg

Go to Google, type in ugly guitars, and look at the images. There are hundreds of heroic catastrophes there.

Such as this one:
romeorosealonewithjulietcd.jpg

You know what's funny about that guitar? It's obviously a fine hand-crafted custom piece of disgustingly cheesy brilliance, but look at the section between the necks. It's just straight. Plain ol straight. Like the guy forgot to carve or contour it or something. As hideous as that guitar is, that straight piece sticks out to me the most. Lol.

Funny thread.

A nice burst is functional art.
I guarantee if I handed any of you anti-nice guitar guys a spectacular burst, you'd play it.
(After you picked up your jaw from the floor)
:-)

Funny thread.

A nice burst is functional art.
I guarantee if I handed any of you anti-nice guitar guys a spectacular burst, you'd play it.
(After you picked up your jaw from the floor)
:-)

That's silly. First off, who here is "anti-nice guitar"? A "spectacular burst" doesn't necessarily mean it's a good guitar. Secondly you assume that we've never seen one before.

Back