Woodgrain

I am cryptic in that the question was really about perceived value. Use to be supply and demand drove most prices. But in today's market, perception (drives demand) plays as large a role as supply now does. Once you get past a base level, then perception of value takes over.

I know you know all of this, but when talking about price, you really can't exclude these factors from the conversation.

Lol. You are all over the place. No, my question was not actually about price or value. I'm just wondering if I'm alone in not giving a fuck about wood grain. I'd like for someone that does give a fuck about wood grain to explain what they think is so great about it. Maybe they think it's has value, maybe they think it means quality, maybe they just simply like the way it looks. It's all good.

Its strange - perception of value... Gibsons and Fenders don't appear to lose their value at all... ever and after they get above 20 years old seem to appreciate. Weirdly with Fenders, the more battered they are, the more valuable they are. If I ever have a spare 800 quid I might buy a strat, use it as a DIY workbench when I am refitting the bathroom then bury it in my garden for a few years then sell it for 2 grand.

Its strange - perception of value... Gibsons and Fenders don't appear to lose their value at all... ever and after they get above 20 years old seem to appreciate. Weirdly with Fenders, the more battered they are, the more valuable they are. If I ever have a spare 800 quid I might buy a strat, use it as a DIY workbench when I am refitting the bathroom then bury it in my garden for a few years then sell it for 2 grand.

Fenders and Gibsons have the luxury of history, intrinsic name value, and a massive pool of famous users. Not to mention their style never goes out of style. They're a safe bet for all time. No one's gonna care about a 2015 Dean Dimebag or LTD Viper in 20 years.

No one's gonna care about a 2015 Dean Dimebag or LTD Viper in 20 years.

I think they will. Part of what initially fuels the 'collectible' market is nostalgia. At some point (usually around middle age) guys want to try to reclaim their youth, and one of the ways they do that is to try and collect the toys of their youth. The cars and guitars that they had or lusted after are the prime targets. So in 20 years, kids who now have or want a 2015 Dean will be paying top dollar to find one.

I think they will. Part of what initially fuels the 'collectible' market is nostalgia. At some point (usually around middle age) guys want to try to reclaim their youth, and one of the ways they do that is to try and collect the toys of their youth. The cars and guitars that they had or lusted after are the prime targets. So in 20 years, kids who now have or want a 2015 Dean will be paying top dollar to find one.

That makes sense and you might be right, but I'm gonna bet against it. Meet me back here in 20 years and we'll see where we are.

I, for one, love woodgrain, but woodgrain I like. I usually don't go for the over the top flame, and I generally dislike quilt, but a nice plaintop is beautiful to me.

But I love wood. A good coffee table almost does the same thing for me that a nice guitar does. Some of us just love wood, just like woodworkers and furniture makers do.

It pleases us more aesthetically. Is the reason you'd like a classic car just because it would go fast, corner well, and be fun to drive? No, because you could find many more modern cars that will go faster, handle better, and be as much, if not more, fun to drive. You like the looks and the mojo of that classic car. Same thing with guitars.

I, for one, love woodgrain, but woodgrain I like. I usually don't go for the over the top flame, and I generally dislike quilt, but a nice plaintop is beautiful to me.

But I love wood. A good coffee table almost does the same thing for me that a nice guitar does. Some of us just love wood, just like woodworkers and furniture makers do.

It pleases us more aesthetically. Is the reason you'd like a classic car just because it would go fast, corner well, and be fun to drive? No, because you could find many more modern cars that will go faster, handle better, and be as much, if not more, fun to drive. You like the looks and the mojo of that classic car. Same thing with guitars.

Fair enough, I hear you and respect your personal preference on wood. But does a painted guitar not have "mojo"? Does a 56 Goldtop P-90 Les Paul not have "mojo"? I don't sand my muscle cars down to bare metal. They're painted. :D

Well, that's because you don't like the look of bare metal (plus the whole rust thing). But do you not jones more for a muscle car that has a cool paint job, or is in a color that you really like? Would you still desire that car as much if it were in a color or paint job that you thought was hideous?

Wood with a fancy woodgrain is usually more expensive. For that reason, it's usually put on more high end guitars, just like expensive high quality leather and burled walnut is used in higher end luxury cars. In both cases, the quality of the other components tend to be of a more costly higher quality.

That being said, I generally have no desire for any of the 'fancy' guitars. They're nice to look at as works of art, but no more so that a painting or sculpture. Some speak to me, some don't. I might look at pictures of them once in a while, but I have no desire to own one.

And yes, painted guitars can have mojo. I hate gold tops (even though my man Duane played one), but a nice LP Custom in black - mmm, mmm, mmm.

That makes sense and you might be right, but I'm gonna bet against it. Meet me back here in 20 years and we'll see where we are.
In 20 years time you'll all be lusting after a 2016 JDOD telecaster custom

Well, that's because you don't like the look of bare metal (plus the whole rust thing). But do you not jones more for a muscle car that has a cool paint job, or is in a color that you really like? Would you still desire that car as much if it were in a color or paint job that you thought was hideous?
I actually like Rat Rods, patina, faded paint, primer, etc. Show cars went out of vogue in the 90s. I like nice paint too, but just one color. No graphics, stripes, scallops, etc. Maybe a nice flame job on an appropriate car, but usually just regular old paint or a busted ass car with some character.

In 20 years time you'll all be lusting after a 2016 JDOD telecaster custom
Lol. I'll never lust after a Tele anything. Teles have never in any way interested me.

I actually like Rat Rods, patina, faded paint, primer, etc. Show cars went out of vogue in the 90s. I like nice paint too, but just one color. No graphics, stripes, scallops, etc. Maybe a nice flame job on an appropriate car, but usually just regular old paint or a busted ass car with some character.

So what you're saying is that you like "relic'd" cars?:D

Lol. I'll never lust after a Tele anything. Teles have never in any way interested me.

I used to say the same thing. Now I love a good Tele, even though it's almost never a typical standard Tele. For the most part I hate regular Tele bridge pickups. But then I also feel the same way about strat bridge pickups.

So what you're saying is that you like "relic'd" cars?:D

Ha, no. That's one thing that thankfully hasn't really spread to the hot rod world. People don't intentionally bash their cars....that I'm aware of. They get em a little beat up, and leave them that way. Dents and wreckage are usually fixed, but stressing over paint isn't really a big deal anymore. If a body is straight and has faded original paint, people will leave it that way, and sometimes even clear-coat over the faded paint to preserve it's originality. Natural patina is a good thing. Actual rust holes and rot is not.

I used to say the same thing. Now I love a good Tele, even though it's almost never a typical standard Tele. For the most part I hate regular Tele bridge pickups. But then I also feel the same way about strat bridge pickups.

I don't like any Strats or Teles. And a I have a Strat. I don't like it. I keep it for sentimental value, but it mostly just sits on a stand. I like Jags, Jazzmasters, Mustangs, Broncos, whatever, but Strats and Teles do nothing for me.

You like Mustangs and Broncos, but not Strats and Teles? Why? What do the Mustangs and Broncos have that the others don't. Surely it's not their wonderful tone?

I'm sure that somewhere somebody's got a rod with EVH stripes.:laughings:

Maybe leftover from the 80s. I don't see that going over to well these days. The 80s and 90s were a really bad time for hot rods and customs. "Pro Street" used to be a thing where people would build actual drag cars that never saw a second of actual racing. Most of them wouldn't even start. Trailer queens. We've thankfully gotten away from that and people drive their cars to shows and events.

You like Mustangs and Broncos, but not Strats and Teles? Why? What do the Mutangs and Broncos have that the others don't. Surely it's not their wonderful tone?

I like their quirkiness. I like shorter scale lengths. I like offset bodies. I kind of see them as a middle finger to Strat and Tele users. I see a guy with a Mustang or Jag and I think, "this is a guy that thinks like me". A Strat or Tele is common and boring. The same can be said for my Les Pauls and SGs, but I can overlook that because they're not Strats or Teles.

Back