Windows vs Mac

Alexfromestonia

Hi Guys
What system would you prefer to work in? Please advise what are the advanatages of one or other?
Currently looking for PC to buy for small home studio.
Thanks!

I would say first and foremost, what OS you are most comfortable with. If you're an Apple guy, then I would stick with it, you're going to have enough to learn. If you're a Windows guy, then Windows. If you do do Windows, buy hardware that would be equal quality as you would the Apple. That will save a lot of headaches in a Windows environment.

That said, if you are going Firewire or even Thunderbolt, then you probably want to go with Apple. Window based systems seem to lack the Firewire port, but if you have a desktop, you can very likely add the card. If you are going USB, then there is little advantage to the Apple system.

Decide your primary DAW and interface, that will probably drive your decision.

I would say first and foremost, what OS you are most comfortable with. If you're an Apple guy, then I would stick with it, you're going to have enough to learn. If you're a Windows guy, then Windows. If you do do Windows, buy hardware that would be equal quality as you would the Apple. That will save a lot of headaches in a Windows environment.

That said, if you are going Firewire or even Thunderbolt, then you probably want to go with Apple. Window based systems seem to lack the Firewire port, but if you have a desktop, you can very likely add the card. If you are going USB, then there is little advantage to the Apple system.

Decide your primary DAW and interface, that will probably drive your decision.

+1 to that.
If you go windows just do your research on compatibility first.
It's very easy to buy the wrong gear in this day and age with so much choice available.

You've an apple guy and a PC guy in agreement here, so it might be best to close the thread now! :p

+1 to that.
If you go windows just do your research on compatibility first.
It's very easy to buy the wrong gear in this day and age with so much choice available.

You've an apple guy and a PC guy in agreement here, so it might be best to close the thread now! :p

While there is still OS world peace :)

I am a Windows guy, but have worked with macs in the past as well. I must say, Mac is much easier if you are just starting out and have no preference.
Most DAWs will work either way. Interfaces work both ways (some have both USB & Firewire). Thunderbolt, BTW, has had a lot of issues with Windows based machines. Firewire, as well has problems unless you get a certified TI card. Best in the Windows environment to stick to USB/PCIe. Mac can use all if they have the ports (some no longer have USB)
Your external equipment, of course, will not be affected.
So, unless you're intent on going with Garage Band or Logic Pro you can use a Windows PC and get the flexibility (and the headaches) of the open architecture. You are likely to spend less, but you might get lesser quality, depending on the builder. Most of us have dedicated PCs for recording and keep them away from internet (for the most part) so we can control upgrades and other such nonsense that slow or corrupt our systems.
Unless you are looking at FLStudio, you can use a Mac and get the structured support of Apple's proprietary hardware and (mostly) trouble free upgrade paths. You may spend a little more, but in the long run, it might be worth a few less headaches.
Happy Recording :D

PC and Mac guys in agreement? I'm going to buy a warm coat, I think Hell just froze over...

I prefer Mac because I have no driver issues and they "just run". But it's up to you. Lots of people here run PCs with success and they love them. I would go with the advice given above. Compatibility is the biggest concern you have really next to learning a new OS.

Can't we all just get along? It's a lot better than getting a short... :)

I thought we were getting along? :)

Two more positives for PCs
#1 You can get way more for your money usually. I'm looking at replacing my Macbook Pro and it's going to cost me an arm and a leg. I might end up going PC for that reason.
#2 There are more free plug-ins for PCs than Macs. I've been looking for free stuff I can try and I've noticed there's more for PCs out there.

Sorry, is it PCIe that they're going away from? Didn't mean to misinform.

Wasn't sure if I misunderstood you or not...Hense the edit.

Yeah, the new mac pro has no pcie. But never fear. You can buy a pcie/thunderbolt extension effort for $62,000. :p :p
I can see the used market for pre2013 mac pros staying strong for a while purely because of that.

They do seem to be keen on making the first move a lot of the time - Getting rid of optical media on some machines, for example.
People rant and rave and shout and then realise they haven't used a disc in a few years anyway. ;)

Sorry, is it PCIe that they're going away from? Didn't mean to misinform.

Steen just educated me, Apple will no longer have a place for any internal cards, everything is Thunderbutt and USB. I can't imagine them getting rid of USB due to its adoption.

Steen just educated me, Apple will no longer have a place for any internal cards, everything is Thunderbutt and USB. I can't imagine them getting rid of USB due to its adoption.

That's right. They've abandoned PCI-e in the 2013 onwards mac pros, meaning no new apple computer has PCI-e now.
USB 3.0, thunderbolt, and firewire by extension, are still supported.

I think they expect their ProTools (Etc) PCI-e reliant customers to buy one of these expensive thunderbolt-pcie extension caddies or just stick with the older mac pro.

I think that you will do good with either but PCs are too much less expensive, have a too much more complete palette of options in terms of software and will do the job with the very same seamless comptence. I navigate through both worlds since the good old 80's Macs (at that time nobody even thought about to use a computer for audio stuff but the Macs already kicked the ass of the PCs in the image work though). Anyway, time passed and PCs has grown in too much larger foot steps than Mac did. Nowadays, in my opinion, to have a Mac is only a matter of status.

I think that you will do good with either but PCs are too much less expensive, have a too much more complete palette of options in terms of software and will do the job with the very same seamless comptence. I navigate through both worlds since the good old 80's Macs (at that time nobody even thought about to use a computer for audio stuff but the Macs already kicked the ass of the PCs in the image work though). Anyway, time passed and PCs has grown in too much larger foot steps than Mac did. Nowadays, in my opinion, to have a Mac is only a matter of status.

At least you did say "I think" and "in my opinion".
I was using a Mac for midi work in the late 80's and they were available for that well before. Most of the DAWs we enjoy started out as midi control software. Sonar was Cakewalk Pro back in the late 80s, and quickly became Cakewalk Pro Audio, Home Studio, and then I switched to Reason, so I don't know any more. But macs were doing midi control since mid 80s (84-85 I think).
But computer music goes way back. http://THIS was in 1951!!! From our good friends the Aussies. The Atari ST (1985) had built in midi ports. Macs had chipsets out of expensive synths. There were a lot of uses for computers/software in music a long ways back. It wasn't until the early 90s that actual DAWs started to emerge from all those softwares, but it was a fun ride! Okay, enough history lesson :D
We did a lot with computers in the 80s after midi was introduced (83) (oops, more history). It really opened the door (if you had the money).

At least you did say "I think" and "in my opinion".
I was using a Mac for midi work in the late 80's and they were available for that well before. Most of the DAWs we enjoy started out as midi control software. Sonar was Cakewalk Pro back in the late 80s, and quickly became Cakewalk Pro Audio, Home Studio, and then I switched to Reason, so I don't know any more. But macs were doing midi control since mid 80s (84-85 I think).
But computer music goes way back. http://THIS was in 1951!!! From our good friends the Aussies. The Atari ST (1985) had built in midi ports. Macs had chipsets out of expensive synths. There were a lot of uses for computers/software in music a long ways back. It wasn't until the early 90s that actual DAWs started to emerge from all those softwares, but it was a fun ride! Okay, enough history lesson :D
We did a lot with computers in the 80s after midi was introduced (83) (oops, more history). It really opened the door (if you had the money).

I started MIDI on an IBM compatible in 89 running MS-DOS 3.1, so it was possible on them as well. Just sayin'

Also Commodore/Amiga also had built in MIDI as well.

For whose maybe didn't get what I mean, the fact is that a Mac running MacOS or a PC running Windows will do absolutelly the same thing. Cannot tell about a PC running Linux because I don't know too much about the DAW options for Linux. Anyway, both Macs and PCs will do a seamless job, with the same quality, a similar smooth GUI and within the same timeframe. And no one will ask to a band what computer was used to mix their album because they really don't care. And it really doesn't matter.

Of course, as I said, a Mac gives more status to its owner. It is better? No, it is not. But it is more appealing, more expensive and have the 'Apple' brand that makes a lot of people to believe that it puts some kind of supernatural quality on it. However it is only a subjective thing though. But if the person can spend a few extra thousands of dollars just to look at the top of the desk and see a Mac there and if it makes this person happy I don't see anything wrong with it.

:)

Last edited:
I'm a mac user soley because i got deep into the apogee stuff then bought logic so I'm not planning on jumping ship anytime soon but I will say I miss the vast amounts of free plugins. Plus REW doesn't work too well on mac. I will say this though even though macs are pricey they don't usually make bad computers. If you skimp out and buy a cheap quality computer that dies after 2 years you run the risk of being forced into buying a new interface/software and who knows what new things will come out in that time making yours obsolete. I guess my point is to buy a good computer. There are guys still rocking older interfaces on older computers. Both windows and mac are competing hard for innovation which really kills me because stuff goes obsolete so fast this is imo why you need to invest in a quality
computer. I'm just old enough to have gone through the stage of recording to casset/pci/usb/firewire and now back to usb again so don't get too ahead of yourself buying a computer that might not work with your interface. I was the unlucky one who had a macbook that wouldn't work with the apollo so its not just a windows thing.

Back