Will Analog Multitracks ever be made again?

Will Analog Multitracks ever be made again?

• Total voters
come on

so who are you discussing/arguing/look man(ing) with?

no one says its dead. no one says people shouldn't or don't dig it, no one says you claim to know everything....

I am claiming that you allow your personal experience to dictate what your views are rather than being either a realist or looking at anything outside of your small/medium/large world..I wouldn't know, you could live in a village where all three bands use the same tascam??

How many times do i have to make it clear that i know my personal views arent the views of the world? Do i have to write it before every single thing i say? Or is just here and there enough? Cause ive made it clear as well as logic itself making it clear that 1 persons experiences dont equate to truth. Ive said it. And ive said it again. But there is truth in the differences between analog/vinyl and 1s and 0s.

I dont see how im not being a realist when i am making money off of selling records i recorded on a tape to people who are asking me if they can buy a record. Theres nothing unreal about those results. And im not the only one experiencing those same results. I dont see what being a "realist" has to do with any of this because whats "real" is based on how someone defines reality.

kcearl, you claim to be new to recording, and that all youve ever done is digital, and that no one you know records on analog is that correct?

thank you.

To be honest, even though i dont think its the average consumer, there are so many people who buy almost only vinyl out here that i dont know how there is such a denial going on in this thread. It must just be different areas. And these arent older men or whatever, alot of these people are young girls like 18-25 who have much larger record collections than me. Ever want to be attracted to a chick? Stand behind her in line when shes buying 250 bucks worth of Zappa on vinyl.

Where's the denial?

Im showing you record industry facts

380 miilion CD
64 million downloads
1.88 million vinyl

what part of that is in denial?

again with your personal experience

Wal-Mart and Apple are the two biggest retailers of music in America...not used vinyl stores in Austin

then Best buy
then Amazon
then FYE

not Bob and Andys vinyl emporium....and it wont be in 5 years

Id love if it was vinyl, but it is not going to be...

yeah

Where's the denial?

Im showing you record industry facts

380 miilion CD
64 million downloads
1.88 million vinyl

what part of that is in denial?

again with your personal experience

Wal-Mart and Apple are the two biggest retailers of music in America...not used vinyl stores in Austin

then Best buy
then Amazon
then FYE

not Bob and Andys vinyl emporium....and it wont be in 5 years

Id love if it was vinyl, but it is not going to be...

But you forget one thing, im not walmart, and im not selling my art to the walmart crowd. The people who dig what people like me do want it on vinyl.

I make more money making personalized art, and selling it to a niche market, on a niche format, than i ever would trying to sound like a mainstream act and getting a major label deal to be sold at Walmart.

"Niche" is how you make money at all these days. I couldnt be Britney Spears if i wanted to.

How many times do i have to make it clear that i know my personal views arent the views of the world? Do i have to write it before every single thing i say? Or is just here and there enough? Cause ive made it clear as well as logic itself making it clear that 1 persons experiences dont equate to truth. Ive said it. And ive said it again. But there is truth in the differences between analog/vinyl and 1s and 0s.

I dont see how im not being a realist when i am making money off of selling records i recorded on a tape to people who are asking me if they can buy a record. Theres nothing unreal about those results. And im not the only one experiencing those same results. I dont see what being a "realist" has to do with any of this because whats "real" is based on how someone defines reality.

kcearl, you claim to be new to recording, and that all youve ever done is digital, and that no one you know records on analog is that correct?

Im new to recording so?

Ive been playing since I was a kid and bought my first 45 in 1979, i do know my way around music and have a pair of ears...I may or may not know people who record in digital, the point was meant to be as ridiculous as yours

Im saying your whole point of view is based what's in your world, not in anything else reflected sales, facts, figures...its a classic amongst those clouded by their own experience

I dont need you to write imho after everything but sometimes you write like its fact..its not, like mine its an opinion

except my opinion is also fact :)

But you forget one thing, im not walmart, and im not selling my art to the walmart crowd. The people who dig what people like me do want it on vinyl.

I make more money making personalized art, and selling it to a niche market, on a niche format, than i ever would trying to sound like a mainstream act and getting a major label deal to be sold at Walmart.

"Niche" is how you make money at all these days. I couldnt be Britney Spears if i wanted to.

you are missing the point...you could have a most successful career selling vinyl recorded on analogue to your fans base..

fantastic, I hope you do

it wont be the mainstream..it will be a niche market..its the only point Ive tried to make yet Im reading posts like.. Analogue will never die, you watch vinyl sales in 5 years...and thats laughable..it'll stay a niche market and analogue will die in 2076AD...mark my words lol

BTW thanks all for an interesting topic :)

Im off to sell one of my digital synths...but not to buy analogue, just beer :)

well

you are missing the point...you could have a most successful career selling vinyl recorded on analogue to your fans base..

fantastic, I hope you do

it wont be the mainstream..it will be a niche market..its the only point Ive tried to make yet Im reading posts like.. Analogue will never die, you watch vinyl sales in 5 years...and thats laughable..it'll stay a niche market and analogue will die in 2076AD...mark my words lol

Heres the real LOL buddy...

We are all working in a niche market. You, me, everyone here. We are not Britney Spears. We are not some 15 year old photoshopped into looking like he can jump 11 feet into the air and plastered on front page of myspace for 10 grand a day to sell his garbage music. Either you are a niche market musician or you are nothing, except for those few people who play the game the industrys way.

So, if i go to your soundclick page, which i have, and listen to your songs, which i have, i will come to the conclusion that you too are in a niche market. You arent Britney Spears. So, in your situation, in all of our situations, we can either struggle to make a dent in a market that is too big for us, that doesnt want us, or we can make our own market. By making our own market we invent tiny business models that we can manage without major label help/funding.

So, when you say to me "walmart sold a billion rap cds last year and only a million people bought records"... well thats fine by me because people in my market arent buying rap cds from walmart. They are buying records from bands they deem interesting and artistically genuine.

The point is, the average musician in his bedroom has a way better chance at making a few grand off his unique vision that he doesnt have to alter to be accepted into the walmart market, than to try to be something he is not and fail repeatedly. Ive seen alot of bands master being something they are not that the world has already made a success, and they hit a wall commercially because the market is so saturated with that kind of entertainment already that there really is no room anymore.

Im going to leave you with that earl. Once you start to put your stuff out youll see that marketing to your audience is ten thousand times easier than memorizing walmarts sales figures and planning your musical takeover according to them. And the fact that there is demand at all for niche music/formats is a blessing. You say you love to live in modern times, well thats how money and music work in the internet age.

Thats it for me in this thread.

Heres the real LOL buddy...

We are all working in a niche market. You, me, everyone here. We are not Britney Spears. We are not some 15 year old photoshopped into looking like he can jump 11 feet into the air and plastered on front page of myspace for 10 grand a day to sell his garbage music. Either you are a niche market musician or you are nothing, except for those few people who play the game the industrys way.

So, if i go to your soundclick page, which i have, and listen to your songs, which i have, i will come to the conclusion that you too are in a niche market. You arent Britney Spears. So, in your situation, in all of our situations, we can either struggle to make a dent in a market that is too big for us, that doesnt want us, or we can make our own market. By making our own market we invent tiny business models that we can manage without major label help/funding.

So, when you say to me "walmart sold a billion rap cds last year and only a million people bought records"... well thats fine by me because people in my market arent buying rap cds from walmart. They are buying records from bands they deem interesting and artistically genuine.

The point is, the average musician in his bedroom has a way better chance at making a few grand off his unique vision that he doesnt have to alter to be accepted into the walmart market, than to try to be something he is not and fail repeatedly. Ive seen alot of bands master being something they are not that the world has already made a success, and they hit a wall commercially because the market is so saturated with that kind of entertainment already that there really is no room anymore.

Im going to leave you with that earl. Once you start to put your stuff out youll see that marketing to your audience is ten thousand times easier than memorizing walmarts sales figures and planning your musical takeover according to them. And the fact that there is demand at all for niche music/formats is a blessing. You say you love to live in modern times, well thats how money and music work in the internet age.

Thats it for me in this thread.

my "stuff" wont be going out..Im nearly 43 and its a young mans game, I only make it for myself and to amuse some friends..I have no intention of attempting to make money from home recording

Im glad you tried to pigeonhole me...good job as they say in old Canuckstan :)

I wish you and your band all the best though....

The original question was inviting peoples predictions as to whether or not analog multi-tracks would be mfg'd again.

The consensus currently seems to be not.

However, there also appears to be a side consensus that presently, they don't need to be, because there were already so many made, they were well made, and that they can be maintained for the foreseeable future, or put another way that the **analog recording market** is presently served by a combination of NOS and aftermarket repair parts. Point being is that there is an **analog recording market** and replacing a belt or a head is something you would have done anyway even in 1980, but you're never going to replace the DAC on the sound card, you're going to buy another sound card...

For all I know, the analog recording market may be as big as it ever was, the digital recording market, with help from the internet I'm sure, is **just plain bigger.** See Beck's posts on the fragmentation of the music industry.

I found this graph interesting:

http://www.swivel.com/graphs/show/4146447

Vinyl sales in the US peak in 1977 at 341M and started to decline. CD sales in 2005 are 705M. I doubt that darn teenage population :p, or whomever is buying music doubled in that same time span, the market just got bigger even though **overall** US population only increased from 220M to 296M in the same time frame. And, when bigassrockstar was recording at bigassstudio in 1983 on 2" tape, chances are good he was recording on a bigass MCI machine that was made in 1975, and the records stamped on machines made in the 60s. There may not be more people using digital because digital is better, but because there are just more people recording and you can actually record on a cheap ass sound card, mix in software and burn a CD, and do it one hell of a lot cheaper and for the most part easier than on a 1" 16 track which won't fit in your dorm room either.

There wasn't anything remotely like that until digital became accessible (which actually took a while-- digital recording started out more expensive) and 30 years ago a PC cost about what a new Otari costs today.

And if you want to talk about "old" digital recording has been around since at least 1972... :-) and the PCM technology about as old as analog tape... (1940s...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation#History

Last edited:
when i say "old", i mean in your method of recording. i'm 39 but way more advanced as far as recording goes.

i realize some of you are just having fun here, haha, but for some of us, this is a way of life - i am younger than you but have no problem being associated with "old ways" or "old man" technology, in fact i emrace it in my personal style as well. i admire the way that things were done in the 60s and 70s and emulate it in many ways. FORWARD INTO THE PAST!

i realize some of you are just having fun here, haha, but for some of us, this is a way of life - i am younger than you but have no problem being associated with "old ways" or "old man" technology, in fact i emrace it in my personal style as well. i admire the way that things were done in the 60s and 70s and emulate it in many ways. FORWARD INTO THE PAST!

i hear ya, bro. and to be honest i have a real problem with refrigerators so i use an old ice box to keep my food preserved. it's not as effecient and it's a real pain in the ass having to lug ice into that thing everyday, but i like the way it makes my milk taste.

Trend setting where, for Texas? ;)

you will see in 5 years or so? sorry but that is a ridiculous statement, you have no magic ball

just because vinyl sales have increased 50% -80% (thats a hell of a margin of difference) according to RIAA, in Austin, its still 1% nationally..

niche market, no two ways

yes it has been a niche market until quite recently. technically, vinyl probably still is a niche market. my basic point is that is about to change very soon, and in fact already has in a city known for being forward-thinking and "hip" ... sounds like you have not ever been to austin or heard much about it. austin is not particularly influential to the state of texas in terms of pop culture (quite the opposite in fact), but often "sets the scene" for the rest of the country in terms of trends among young hipsters and music fans. for instance, austin has more live music venues per capita than ANY other US city ...

everyone comes here from all over the world in march for SXSW and takes cues from what we're doing here to bring it back to wherever they came from! (and we learn from them too of course)

ha, just pulled up the site and what does it say? "tomorrow happens here" !!!

http://sxsw.com/music

i hear ya, bro. and to be honest i have a real problem with refrigerators so i use an old ice box to keep my food preserved. it's not as effecient and it's a real pain in the ass having to lug ice into that thing everyday, but i like the way it makes my milk taste.

... bitchin!

brilliant. totally f-r-e-a-k-i-n-g BRILLIANT!!

yes it has been a niche market until quite recently. technically, vinyl probably still is a niche market. my basic point is that is about to change very soon, and in fact already has in a city known for being forward-thinking and "hip" ... sounds like you have not ever been to austin or heard much about it. austin is not particularly influential to the state of texas in terms of pop culture (quite the opposite in fact), but often "sets the scene" for the rest of the country in terms of trends among young hipsters and music fans. for instance, austin has more live music venues per capita than ANY other US city ...

everyone comes here from all over the world in march for SXSW and takes cues from what we're doing here to bring it back to wherever they came from! (and we learn from them too of course)

ha, just pulled up the site and what does it say? "tomorrow happens here" !!!

http://sxsw.com/music

most live venues?? so what...they could all be playing shit ;)

look out New York, London, LA...here comes..erm...Austin, also home to the States largest urban bat population...whoop..eh...whoop

lol :)

Back