Why You Called - alternative pop - comments???

No, I mean pulling 300 out of the guitars (if it doesn't HURT their sound) would make room for some of the bass' character to come through, not that the guitars are 300 heavy...sorry, I'm not real clear sometimes. :)

Ah gotcha. Ha, no worries. Good ears dude

I really like it! You've done it again. I really like the way the vocal sits in the mix - I don't know how you did it, exactly, because I can't get mine to sit like that. Perhaps I'm not compressing hard enough....not sure...but your vocals and singing are lot more dynamic than mine. But anyway, I really like the lyrics and as always you manage to have a strong hook. I love a hook - every song needs a hook or I'm not going to listen again. Perhaps I'm just listening to the song as a whole because I'm not hearing all the things that some of the others are saying or are feeling. But it "feels" right to me. Good job.

Thank you firefly. That means a lot. I'm probably doing something wrong if I have to compress them that much. But I hear it differently since I'm aware of every little thing in the chain.

No...I mean after all that uptempo, full-tilt stuff....the ending just drops off like it wasn't intentional...like someone walked into the room and you stopped playing.

There was another clinic tune that did this a couple weeks back. One of those tricks that never gets old. :)

That's not a logical approach for recording, though I get your point. The bass isn't coming from the left or right, is it? As well, one guitar isn't completely to a side either. Recording has different rules.

Anyhow, I didn't widen any cymbals or the master bus, and they are no further out than anyone who uses Superior Drummer. I kept them panned as the stock setting. I'm happy with their placement. Thanks for the listen though.

Bass is omnidirectional - that's why there's only one subwoofer in most playback systems. You can put it anywhere - that's why it makes sense to put it in the center of the mix - having it to either side sounds wrong, as that;s NOT how you hear it in a room.
I would imagine SD has the same settings as EZD - you can adjust the pan for each part of the kit. What I heard was one crash on the left, the other on the right - I didn't hear any of each coming from the opposite speaker (I didn't check with headphones). Everyone has their preferences. Rami pans his overheads wide - but they still sound like a drum kit (right) in front of you.

Mjb, it's a stereo track centered, in the mix. In SD, it's 2 mono L and R 100%, same as every track I've done and unless ppl are bringing them in, that's what you'll get from the majority of tracks in the clinic.

Now that I think about it more, I did turn the "bleed" way down in the vst. Perhaps that means each side goes less into the other?? What do you think

Sounds great to me, can't think of anything I'd change. Song is cool too, you've never had much trouble with that aspect!

Thank you firefly. That means a lot. I'm probably doing something wrong if I have to compress them that much. But I hear it differently since I'm aware of every little thing in the chain.

I don't know. I've got to think you're doing something right to get it sounding so good. I'm listening to the song as a whole, how the parts fit together, how the song flows, the EQ, the compression, the dynamics, etc.... all in context of the song, and it works. So instead of maybe doing something wrong, I've got to think you're doing something right. Whatever it is, I'd keep doing it. Just saying.....

Mjb, it's a stereo track centered, in the mix. In SD, it's 2 mono L and R 100%, same as every track I've done and unless ppl are bringing them in, that's what you'll get from the majority of tracks in the clinic.

Now that I think about it more, I did turn the "bleed" way down in the vst. Perhaps that means each side goes less into the other?? What do you think
The overhead bleed typically just gets rid of the snare, high hat and toms in the overheads.

OK, I listened with headphones, and there is some mix of the crashes to the opposite sides, but not much. In headphones it sounds like what the drummer would hear sitting at the kit, rather than what a listener in front would hear. That's a personal choice. I typically put the width on my OHs at 75-80%, and the widths on the other drum mics at about 60%.
Curious why you use the SD stereo mix, rather than send each instrument/mic to its own track in your project. I much prefer to do it that way as I don't need to open an extra mix window to adjust the drums, it's all in the main mixer, and I can EQ or send to reverb each individual drum/mic as needed.

When everything is bounced through Toontracks bounce feature, those come out as 1 stereo track.

So, I am mixing it in the DAW. I EQ and compress and leave the stereo OHs centered. There is a way to make that stereo come in more with my stock Binaural Pan plug, but I didn't care much for it inside of hard L and R. Personal taste I guess.

And yes I use drummers perspective. I've heard some albums like this and I've enjoyed them more.

Unless it's brutally obvious and bad I tend to stay away from arrangement comments as it's subjective. I think Simple Plan was the band I was referring to last mix. Although you sound similar in the soft then loud arrangement, you have you own unique sound/feel and it is really good.
This mix is damn good - No issues with anything not even personal preferences tbh. The vocals are excellent and are mixed really well (so is everything else but vocals tend to be what I listen to the most). I've gone to parallel/stacked comps on the vocals and it does really make a difference. Again mix is great - change nothing lol :D:D:D:D

Unless it's brutally obvious and bad I tend to stay away from arrangement comments as it's subjective.

Well...the exact same thing can apply to technical mix comments....unless it's brutally obvious, it's all subjective. :)

I always like to think of "the mix" as more than just the choice of EQ or compression, etc....but rather the whole enchilada, which includes the arrangement and production decisions, as all of that has to come together to make a song sound good...and yes, it's all very subjective...what sounds out of place to one person, may not to another.

It sounds really good. All the sounds are nice. Guitars sound really good.

I like a little lighter low end. The low end here is appropriate by today's power-pop standards. For me, I'd take the bass and kick down just a bit. The bass has a frequency that's ringing a bit much. Like in the 140hz range maybe.

I'd keep the backing vox narrower when they come in on the "gasoline on the box" line. They're kind of weird to my ear. Once things kick in a little more, I'd widen them.

Any nits here are super picky. It sounds terrific.

It sounds really good. All the sounds are nice. Guitars sound really good.

I like a little lighter low end. The low end here is appropriate by today's power-pop standards. For me, I'd take the bass and kick down just a bit. The bass has a frequency that's ringing a bit much. Like in the 140hz range maybe.

I'd keep the backing vox narrower when they come in on the "gasoline on the box" line. They're kind of weird to my ear. Once things kick in a little more, I'd widen them.

Any nits here are super picky. It sounds terrific.

Ok thanks - I tried something different with backing vocals here. They are at 86% and I agree with you completely. Thanks for commenting on that.

Yup 140 was the problem. Though mostly on guitar. I'm sure for bass too since that was the root note. Nice catch.

Thnx for the listen and feedback

Unless it's brutally obvious and bad I tend to stay away from arrangement comments as it's subjective. I think Simple Plan was the band I was referring to last mix. Although you sound similar in the soft then loud arrangement, you have you own unique sound/feel and it is really good.
This mix is damn good - No issues with anything not even personal preferences tbh. The vocals are excellent and are mixed really well (so is everything else but vocals tend to be what I listen to the most). I've gone to parallel/stacked comps on the vocals and it does really make a difference. Again mix is great - change nothing lol :D:D:D:D

hey thanks, appreciate it

I missed that one...maybe there's a trend.

I missed this comment. maybe you guys didn't realize it's not 1986 anymore and every song doesn't have to slowly fade out over 5 minutes....... what a thing to nitpick out of an entire track. :facepalm:

Back