Why I won't buy the Tascam 2488

Status
Not open for further replies.
freshmattyp said:
...Apparently my mileage did vary...

It always does.;)

If I was new to recording, or if I didn't have so many viable alternatives, I'd get the 2488, too. If I had an extra $1000 to kick around for no reason, I'd consider it for a "what the heck" purchase,... of which I have many. Since I won't have that kind of money to spend on gear for another year or two, maybe by then the 2488 will go on clearance, which would make it all that much better of a value,... plus it would imply the next generation of Tascam would be in the pipeline. F/I, I've only started to warm up to the 788, and it's gone on clearance. It took several years for that change of attitude in my head.

However, one thing that's kept me away from purebred digital boxes, is the menu system that they're all based on. It's not my first or best choice for recording, but that's a purely personal preference. Couple that, with the fact that I already have lots of viable recording formats that I've not leveraged to their full extent, and that adds up to why I'm not buying new recorders. Those are purely personal circumstances, and e'one has a different set.

I'm glad to hear that your Tascam 2488 is trouble free and adequate. For the most part, I've always been completely happy with my Tascams, & have been a loyal Tascam fan.

By the time the 2488 goes on clearance, maybe I'll have warmed up to it a bit. If I could only grasp and come to terms with those menus!! :eek:

Thanx again for your comments, with a positive story, & best of luck!!

I spent a lot of time looking at alternatives in the price range, and it came down to the Digi002 Rack and the 2488. I only use the 2488 for tracking. I don't do anything else with it. I do all the mixing and editing in Cubase on my PC. I'm not really using all the capabiltites of the box.

_Digital%20Sucks.jpg

thats why i wont buy one :D

2488....hit or miss

freshmattyp said:
I spent a lot of time looking at alternatives in the price range, and it came down to the Digi002 Rack and the 2488. I only use the 2488 for tracking. I don't do anything else with it. I do all the mixing and editing in Cubase on my PC. I'm not really using all the capabiltites of the box.

the 2488 is strange, seems those whose units work, love it.
I liked one old gearhead review
"should last me 50yrs, i'll never use 24 tracks!!"

Appears 2488 Manufacturing Quality Control group really sucks.
roll them dice.....$1,000 dice. get a good one or bad one.

I did watch the DVD demo on TASCAM www,
it was cool and looked really simple to just plug-in, simple assign input
to a track, hit play/rec. RED/GREEN/YELLOW
That part sounds good.

the mixing and CD-R burning is probably
the downside...shft/alt/ rotate knob...ok turn the treble up TR1, ok shft/
alt/ rotate select bass knob adjust by one Rotate the knob, ok
shft/alt?rotate?select/rotate/ ok
...whoops too much treble on track one still!!
shft/alt/rotate knob/select track one/ arrow key to treble icon....

DONE! I adjusted the treble on track 1...now bas frq knob.. shft/alt/arrow/select/rotate wheel...

as Reel said...where's the PAN knobs!!

why can't anyone get this right???is it that hard of a concept??
1) PAN KNOBS
2) FREQ KNOBS
thats all us POrta-Anologgers want...+ the Digital 24bit/24tracks!!

fhk all the 900000 patches and edit functions no one uses. or
160000 virtual tracks....or 1200 shtty guitar sounds.

DP01 is getting there.

brings back painful memorys of my Roland 840EX...and that
was like 7yrs ago!! gawd it sucked...we hated each other.
I don't think I ever got one full song recorded in like 2yrs.
between MEMORY DISC FULL ERRORS in the middle of a song and
the ALT/SHFT/SELECT/ARROW-ROTATE KNOB/ SELECT SHFT KEY
to adjust the treble on track 1...

COOLCAT said:
...shft/alt/ rotate knob...ok turn the treble up TR1, ok shft/alt/ rotate select bass knob adjust by one Rotate the knob, ok
shft/alt?rotate?select/rotate/ ok ...whoops ... shft/alt/rotate knob/select track one/ arrow key to treble icon.... shft/alt/arrow/select/rotate wheel...

I simply can't handle that. :eek:

Yo Cat with built-in Freon:

I agree with you 1000%.

All the menus, go here, go there, push this, and WHAT THE HELL IS ALL THIS routing stuff. Just need a knob/button/switch that will, maybe, give you 3 choices but NO MORE than 3.

Someday, soon I hope, the engineers will suddenly read this site and put togethers a SIAB that requires NO Manual. Just talk to it--the technology is already here.

Till then, I'll swim with my 2816 best I can.

Green Hornet

I was at gc today.
really wanted to look at the 2488..but none on the shelf?

so the Korg16 was there and a AW16.

I asked for some headphones and dabbled about 20minutes.

The Korg was easier, touch screen...i went almost 3minutes before
getting stifled by patches or whatever. and REEL KORG HAS A PAN knob!!

AW16...maybe its just me, but i was stifled in about 2minutes.

the other 17minutes i was just pushing buttons like a retard.

damn, im laughing for some reason..it really is insane.

maybe the ENg's that invented this sht (secretly) HATED MUSICIANS???
doh!

A Reel Person said:
I simply can't handle that. :eek:

Hey Reel,

Just be glad Tascam doesn't build cars -- scrolling menus to operate the brakes and steering wheel. :D

That's as much sense as the software-based "machines" like the 2488 make to me. It really doesn't work, but people try to make it work because it's there. I can hear the Tascam engineer, "We can save costs by eliminating knobs and buttons." :eek: And people buy into it. :confused:

The whole concept is fundamentally insane -- it eliminates an entire world of interactive recording.

-Tim
:cool:

Last edited:
Yeah, the menu-thing just drives me crazy,...

and that's the most limiting factor, in my own case.

I'll admit, I'm spoiled by analog ways.;) (Analog is): A simple layout that makes sense, a discrete control for each function, instant response from any adjustment of the controls,... highly complex bussing and routing options, high track-simul recording, robust sound that goes down easy & doesn't require lots of fiddling around,... & NO MENUS!

Okay, I'm spoiled, and admittedly quite out of step with modern recording technology.

With that being said, I must be the most incurable gearslut ever!

I've considered and reconsidered the 2488, trying to keep an open mind about issues. There have been days where I've warmed up to the idea of getting the 2488. Like,... (with the 2488) I'd save tons of table space in my studio!! It will record up to 8-simul, and I like that. Certain things about it I do like, and it's priced right!! The new DP01FX lists for almost $500, (street priced less), and for just over twice that amount, the 2488 gives you the BIG bump up to 24 tracks! What's not to like there?

Yes, there have been those days where I could almost justify the 2488 as a "what the heck" purchase. The people who have the trouble-free 2488 experience absolutely love it, and I've picked up on that strong vibe. However, there's still a fair amount of issues, bugs, & inconsistencies that have other users very unhappy. It's hard to buy off on that, entirely,... eh,... speaking for myself, of course.

Then, my nick: A Reel Person. I'd probably have to change it to "A Hard Drive Guy", or something. That's a joke, true, but still a relevant concert. Ha.

When it gets down to it, my hand is still firmly on my wallet, and it's staying in my pocket, with regard to the 2488. I'm very impressed with the price/performance ratio the 2488 brings to the table, but I guess I'm not ready to make a big leap like that. Got an extra Grand or $1200 you wanna bang out on an impulse purchase? Sometimes I feel like I do. It depends on the day.

A more underlying issue on new gear purchases,... besides the obvious budgetary limitations,... is I have only scratched the surface of usefulness of my existing gear empire.

F/I, when I rev up the musical ambitions, I often find it difficult to lay a guitar/voice/drum-machine piece to 3 tracks on a 4-track cassette Portastudio, live to tape,... illustrating personal limitations that new gear will not cure.

In my moments of lucidity, I realize I've not used my existing gear to it's full potential. When I find myself browsing new gear, I try to snap myself out of it, and try to look at my existing gear in a new light.

I also know I'm a bit unique, and that hardly anyone has as much gear as me. I also remind myself, that of the few token digital units I have acquired, they did not exactly light me on fire with excitement. I always seem to gravitate back toward that plain ol' analog.

These are all personal thoughts on my capabilities and limitations, and have no direct reflection on the 2488, itself. It was frustrating to not be able to Pan the 2488's tracks, right off the bat, and the CLICK bothered me quite a bit, but I recognize my overriding personal aversion to menus & the basic design of modern gear. I'm not a fan of menu driven boxes, and it's a very tough sell on me.

Bringing it full circle, is to empasize that I already have a 24-track reel that I've not used to it's potential. A lot of what drives purchases of the 2488 is the "wow" factor of having 24 tracks! In my case, 24-track gearlust itself is not an issue, in the basic sense, when it comes to assessing the 2488's virtues. My 24-track will record 24-tracks simultaneously, too, which is a huge benefit that contrasts sharply with the limitations of most modern gear, including the 2488.

After all my research, the 2488 still looks like best value in it's class, but regardless, it's probably still not for me. That would not totally preclude a 2488 purchase on pure impulse, if I ever had a thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket, so you never know!

The 2488 is a high value box. If you can feel at home with it's gadgety digital design and menu driven functions, I'd say go for it!!

Last edited:
Just when I'm warming up to the 2488, there's another post like this:...

another forum said:
We recently purchased a 2488 from our local Guitar Center... We are having problems...

... The 2488 seems to lock up when we try to do a 'live' multi-track (6 or 8 track) recording. We used the unit to single track a song together without too much trouble but has experienced some other weird errors...

... When we set the unit up and record, it will lock-up and not exit record mode (MTA error) when the Stop Transport button is pressed causing us to perform a power reset to get the unit back and thus losing the recording...

... We returned a first unit and GC sent him a new one which exhibits the same problem...

... I saw another post regarding vibration which could (kinda) explain what is happening. We are also doing this in a garage, which ... gets pretty cold...

... We are frustrated and pretty much at our wits end and we are thinking that this unit may be a waste of money.

=====================
This makes me rethink again to "thumbs down on the 2488".

~I haven't got time for the pain!~ :eek: /DA

C'mom folks! If ya want a SIAB you are going to have to deal w/ menu screens and not enough buttons, thats just the reality of it. I have no experience w/ the 2488, but I have recorded on tons of digital mutitrackers and Tascam is just as easy as the next. I think the 788 was amazingly simple to track on, but I never had to dig TOO deep in regard to mix down and routing. In my oppinion, all of these machines are just tools for quick/clean tracking. If ya want advanced editing functions, why not export em to your computer? Its much easier and there are infinate plugins to tweak with.

Like I said, I cant personally defend the 2488...........but ya gotta give your props to Tascam, as they are the pioneers that made all of this possible.

The 2488 has worked fine for me and I've got the earliest version. Could use a brighter display though, and it's a bit less comfortable than my 788. I'm not thinking of changing.

I'd suggest y'all stop talking stats and features and start recording......can't make money till you do.

A Reel Person said:
excerpt.....
I've considered and reconsidered the 2488, trying to keep an open mind about issues. There have been days where I've warmed up to the idea of getting the 2488. Like,... (with the 2488) I'd save tons of table space in my studio!! It will record up to 8-simul, and I like that. Certain things about it I do like, and it's priced right!! The new DP01FX lists for almost $500, (street priced less), and for just over twice that amount, the 2488 gives you the BIG bump up to 24 tracks! What's not to like there?
QUOTE]

yeah brother. round and round....i think gearhead lust,is the 2488.
greatly appreciate your honesty!

i really thought i'd upgrade my studio....easily.
then i started reading and reading and reading....and reading.

nothing wrong with spending wisely...but theres a negative
for every positive on all the gear...especially the 2488.
and especially for old Porta Analog types it's a tuff change over!

i had a little bonus check and all is well and thought "ok, upgrade".
EASY!! 1) new rec-unit and 2) new monitors

so I went and bought a 1996 PA150 amplifier
on ebay and spent 4days getting it going???????????

but then the Analog ghost of years past shows up and says....

nooh......yoouuu cannot fooool yourseeeeelffffffff.....you are an old analogggggg pooorrrrtttaaaa heeeeeaaaaaddddd goooo nooowww looook
at passsssiiivvvvee speeeaaakkers noootttt aacctive speakers...
gooo too eebay someone is selling old rotty analog sht with crackling
volume pots.....yoouuu smmookkeeedd too-many-dooobies toooo...
Analog Ghost of doobies past has spoken.

then you watch the 2488 demo movie again...
its kinda like those shows where they build an entire house in 30 minutes.

Okay!!

I don't want an SIAB. I'll stick with "traditional" Portastudios, porta-format clones and open reel/mixer systems. I don't want a more menus than knobs & buttons, but quite the opposite.;)

I'm not recording for money, but specs & features have e'thing to do with the recording experience.;)

I have plenty of recording power in hand, without spending another dime.;)

I was never too enthusiastic about the 788, but when the DP-01/FX came out, in contrast the 788 looks like a FANTASTIC machine!!

COOLCAT: You made a good deal on the PA-150, with a minimum of hassle,... considering,... and you should be as happy about it, as I am for you. With a PA-150 in hand, you should look for "passive" monitors.;)

For other people the 2488 may be a fantastic package. I still regard it as best in it's class, but after close analysis it's still not for me. I'm too set in my (analog) ways, and I'm perfectly happy with it. The word "digital" does not ring a bell in my head, and my editing needs are minimal. YMMV.

Thanx all, for your comments!!

Last edited:
when you expect the worst, A long 30min on the 2488

A Reel Person said:
COOLCAT: You made a good deal on the PA-150, with a minimum of hassle,... considering,... and you should be as happy about it, as I am for you. With a PA-150 in hand, you should look for "passive" monitors.;)

For other people the 2488 may be a fantastic package. I still regard it as best in it's class, but after close analysis it's still not for me. I'm too set in my (analog) ways, and I'm perfectly happy with it. The word "digital" does not ring a bell in my head, and my editing needs are minimal. YMMV.

Thanx all, for your comments!!

hey REEL, thank you for the help. i'm still very leary of this ebay used sht.
yeah the PA150 is really a nice unit....frikin huge coil under the hood,
~6" or so, big caps. Solid metal construction, and with your recommended pot cleaner, unit is now very nice.
not a scratch on her too.
You were right its a very nice amplifier, heavier than sht.

REEL, this is my 2488 truth here, from one analog porta-head
to another.

I stopped in GC and picked up a 2488 tonight to test drive.
(also brought home some KRK RP8's for $175ea!demo-new.
I couldn't resist..end of month they said)

the 2488...amazing myself.
I had 3 tracks done in ~ 30min. This fhkng thing can TRACK.
Select Input, Press cool Green Channel/Track button is ON...
set Trim, press REC selector...cherry red lights up....press Play/Rec.
Bingo! One Microphone and with the press of a button...move from
T1 to T2 to T3 to T4..etc. Didn't even move a cable!!
daamn nice feel too, solid faders firm buttons.
The EQ and Pan?
their a one button touch and adjust!!
It ain't anything like that V840 that kicked my ass.
This is one button sht and labeled very well.
Adjust EQ, PAn..press Home and your back to TRACKING
.....damn easy, well laid out.
HOME button gets you HOME no matter what.

played some with the effects, wasn't too excited- the guitar sounds didn't impress and noisy.
i read the reverbs and comp are ok.
But the RNC sound wasn't heard, RNC has that nice smooth sound.
Guitars and Bass played striaght thru the front jack, easy.

Recorded a quick few instrument tracks, panned em...SAVE.

So yes TRACKING is so,so easy, very very nice. I felt like i was on
an adventure, and flashedback to my first Tascam144 i paid $1200
for.....this 2488 is $1100!!daaaamnnn nice unit.gearlust=2488.

but now the mixdown...expecting the Roland 840 issues to arise.
"this is where yooou fall apart" said the GhostofHomeRecording doobies.

being skeptical & looking for faults to surface...
I thought "ok, all the way to CD-R Burn and Playback, this is where
it will fall apart". hmmmm....blank MAxell CD, flipped thru the manual to
the MAstering/CDR section.

fhkng,easy..like 1+2=3 then hit a few very simple buttons,
did a "premaster", piece of cake??? hmmmm?
Then turned on the Mastering icon... Comp&Expander=ON..easy.
Used the Preset type comp/expander. Thought damnn, sounding nice thru
the RAM speakers.

It went so easy, tooo EASY!
I thought fhk it,whynot..EDIT on the first date.
and did a "trim" cut (edit),
to eliminate me's farting nooises before the tune started.....
IN/OUT tagged and bingo....silence, cameras, action...front end
of song silenced.... done. hmmmm...IT CAN'T BE THIS EASY? i thought.

Then said FHK it!!! all the way to the goal line...do it..
CDR burn and finalize.
Seemed kinda slow, "in progress" said the display.
geeez, this is too easy????...I'm done???

To Burn a CDR basically Three steps:
1) do a Pre-master- basically one icon, select song, Tag Start/TAg STOP.
2) then MAstering- turned ON the comp and expander used preset, and
you do a final listen before burn. All was OK....cool.
3) select BURN CD-R. and sitback and smile.

Whallaaallalaaa.....frkng CD off the 2488 Completed!!!!
seriously ~1hr total.

My 2 cents........
+For a HR songwriter, 1 or 2 channel inputs is all I need. This has ~8.
~~+The little screen is fine, as i'm usually right up on it playing
and pressing REC. I didn't have any issue at all with this screen and am really surprised by all the talk.
Must be Engr's comparing to 20" computers, then yes small
screen...but screen is as big as my old MD8...no issue?
Not much different than the others hd-recorders...their all small i guess.
I think the Korg is ~.05 inches bigger..hehehee

+++My attraction=Having the 24tracks allows moving forward and not stopping the creative juices to "commit" the tracks and stop and mix, just keep recording.

this fhkr is so sweeeeeettttttt.
Even an old analog porta-head can do this.

I'm leaving the unit on overnight and will hit it again tomorrow and Sunday.
this ain't nothing like the VS840 I grew to hate. damn impressive.

Another decision to test drive her was my Masterlink at GC curiousity just
didn't get it, with my situation on gear...
$800 for Masterlink and $1100 for the 24 tracker/24bit with CD-RW
and some mastering stuff too.
my old consumer cd player is the weakest link.
(GC gave me $600 for a Stratocaster, towards the set).
My DMP3 isn't needed as much and added some noise, but
it may be my ac. Pre's sound good by themselves.
My RNC apears to be warmer, but didn't play with the 2488 compressor settings. But the RNC will be hard to beat.

damnn, REEL...did you try this out at home? I think anyone with
porta-logic can enjoy this thing.

very,very amazed on first test drive....
all the way thru to CDR finalize & PLAYBACK too!

i may have to re-visit my new technology opinions? doh!
i may have to eat some self-served crow....
I think I'm one of those that love this unit. she's sexy and sweeeeeeeet.

A very fine testimonial, indeed!!!

I'm incredibly happy for you!! You really needed a worthy upgrade, and you found it!!

I constantly reconsider my thoughts and attitudes on the 2488. It changes by the day.

It is very awesome that these days you can have a 24-track Portastudio for the price of the original 144,... or 244 in my case! Nothing short of awesome!

Your post is most telling for the skeptics like me,... but overall I'm just happy for you!! You found it! No more going back & forth about upgrading, and just get back to tracking!! Have fun & keep us posted!!

Thanx!! ;)

FWIW, this post could turn into "Why I bought the 2488 today"...

Last edited:
You didnt mention what the unit sounded like. Does it sound as good as my 8 track analog machine?

Herm, it 'sounds' like any other 24bit /44,100 recorder. The pres have more usability than the 788, and I guess when you combine the fact its got lxr inputs, you could say there's potential for a better sound than with a 788. I've gone direct with it a few times and not used outboard pres and compression and the results were ok.

COOCAT,

Nice post, I think I'm going to actually sit down and play around with mine to see some of the things it can do. I have a tendancy to use it the same way as my 788, so things like exporting tracks to tweak on the computer or using its midi capabilites or even cd burning, I've never done.

It's fascinating, for sure,...

but I think my recording time & dollars are best spent in exploiting all the capabilities of what I already have. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back