Why do we ( some of us anyway ) pay to see a fight that will be aired for free a week

Boxing in now officially dead. It was already dead, so I don't know if you can kill an already dead horse. But this fight definitely took the last breath out of it. Too bad, it's a great sport, but the thugs, gangsters, and Don King ruined it.

Boxing in now officially dead. It was already dead, so I don't know if you can kill an already dead horse. But this fight definitely took the last breath out of it. Too bad, it's a great sport, but the thugs, gangsters, and Don King ruined it.

Whoever invented pay-per-view started the slow death process. Made a SHITLOAD of money, but started the death of the sport... took something accessible to everyone that everyone enjoyed, and in the process of maximizing the profit, squeezed out tons of fans.

I agree, this fight might have stricken the final deathblow. $100 for that? People won't forget.

Whoever invented pay-per-view started the slow death process. Made a SHITLOAD of money, but started the death of the sport... took something accessible to everyone that everyone enjoyed, and in the process of maximizing the profit, squeezed out tons of fans.

I agree, this fight might have stricken the final deathblow. $100 for that? People won't forget.
Yes, exactly. This much hype for a below average fight in excitement, drama, and competition. It was a snoozefest.

I tried your link before the mods deleted it ( a bit odd ) I couldn't get it to work but guess I didn't miss much.

No links were deleted. :confused:

Glad I missed the fight. The beach was much better.

You know what pissed me off, we all turned up at the usual pub to watch the football (away game) and the bloody place was packed with people wanting to watch the fight, a queue outside and $10 to get in. We all went and found a football friendly venue down the road and watched the game, fight? What fight?

Alan.

If you want to watch REAL violence, Aussie rules football is definitely the way to go...makes pro boxing look like a tea party! :)

What was really funny was that I clicked the link and on the page a pop up ad said "Learn to play the Banjo Fast", LOL, I don't even want to learn to play the banjo slow.

Alan

Haha, the whole point of banjo is to play it blazing fast.

Sitting here watching the Cubs (hopefully) womp the Cardinals and the announcers just said something really funny, that made me glad I didn't pay for the M/P fight. End of the top of the first, "Cubs have 4 hits, which is already more than the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight this past weekend..." :facepalm:

Was it really that bad??

It was worse.

I can appreciate good defensive boxing, but I was interested in the fight because I thought the best defensive boxer of all-time might actually get hit. It did not happen.

Wow. Wonder how much those asshats got paid for that snoozefest... And, again, glad I brushed the hype off - ESPN almost had me sucked in.

Wow. Wonder how much those asshats got paid for that snoozefest... And, again, glad I brushed the hype off - ESPN almost had me sucked in.

100 milion each. Mayweather will get more once all the pay-per-view tallies come in. After the fight, he had an actual check in his hand for 100 million dollars. He was going around showing it to people.

100 milion each. Mayweather will get more once all the pay-per-view tallies come in. After the fight, he had an actual check in his hand for 100 million dollars. He was going around showing it to people.

That's like $25,000,000 per punch. :facepalm:

Actually Mayweather was reported to have made 180 million, and Pacquiao 120 million. Freaking insane.

Who cares how much they make? I never get why people cry about the money athletes make. It's not tax payer's money. That money is being generated by sales and interest in the event, whether it's a boxing match, hockey game, football, etc....If that money is being generated, the athletes should get most of it. Nobody's buying a ticket to see an owner own a team. They ripped off players for years and years while filling their pockets with the money generated by the players. Now, I'm glad the players get it. They are the "product". Look at college sports. Athletes are not allowed to take a penny from anyone, but the colleges are basically funded by their sports programs. Give the money to the athletes, it's theirs.

Funny, I never hear people complaining that Tom Cruise or some other actor got $20 million for a movie, and the same people that have no problem paying to see the latest stupid-ass Hollywood movie are the same people whining about the money athletes make. It makes no sense.

Who cares how much they make? I never get why people cry about the money athletes make. It's not tax payer's money. That money is being generated by sales and interest in the event, whether it's a boxing match, hockey game, football, etc....If that money is being generated, the athletes should get most of it. Nobody's buying a ticket to see an owner own a team. They ripped off players for years and years while filling their pockets with the money generated by the players. Now, I'm glad the players get it. They are the "product". Look at college sports. Athletes are not allowed to take a penny from anyone, but the colleges are basically funded by their sports programs. Give the money to the athletes, it's theirs.

Funny, I never hear people complaining that Tom Cruise or some other actor got $20 million for a movie, and the same people that have no problem paying to see the latest stupid-ass Hollywood movie are the same people whining about the money athletes make. It makes no sense.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

If I object to the average of 50k a week that the players get at the team I support I wouldn't pay the cost of my season ticket. The elite in any sport only command what the market will stand. They also pay a lot more tax than I do.. Also I don't care if they have passed their school tests. I care that they are capable of entertaining on the field of play. Thats what they are paid to do. To suggest that a sportsman is less of an individual or some how inferior because he or she focused on sport is just plain and simple bollox.. There are many parallels with successful musicians. Not all are Oxbridge educated but they earn more than most that are based on what they achieve in a competitive market.

Back