Why do we ( some of us anyway ) pay to see a fight that will be aired for free a week

So what is this fight about and why is it so special?
I never heard of these guys but the narrative is telling me that the black guy is knt and the Asian guy is the underdog.

Yep you got it right..Mayweather in not real good at the PR...and he has been a wife / child beating douche and Pacquiao is a pretty decent person who has been trying to get the "Champ" to fight him for the last 5 years and Mayweather has been dodging him... so today is the the day....Mayweather is the favorite but a lot of peeps are rooting for Manny...

So what is this fight about and why is it so special?
I never heard of these guys but the narrative is telling me that the black guy is knt and the Asian guy is the underdog.

It's special because boxing has lost all of it's luster and this is the last thing left to see. This might be the last meaningful fight for a very very long time. I think probably most of the world is rooting for the asian because mayweather is such a dumb kunt.

I think probably most of the world is rooting for the asian because mayweather is such a dumb kunt.

This is it in a nutshell. Mayweather is one of the most universally-hated boxers since Muhammad Ali, who was hated by most in his time (mostly by whites who didn't appreciate his lack of humility, as a humble champion was the norm before him). Mayweather, for the most part, is unabashed about his goal being to maximize the amount of money he can make, and though as far as I know he's never actually come out and said it, the whole "legacy" thing that everybody wants him to care about means jack shit to him.

And he beats his wife. And if you've ever seen him interviewed (youtube probably has his interview with Brian Kenny from a few years ago- I saw it live on Sportscenter at the time and was astonished at Floyd's seeming lack of grounding), he doesn't come across as a very likable guy. And he's an incredible boxer. Add it all up and you get people wanting to see him fight, most of them wanting to see him get beaten.

Wow. Money whooped his ass. I want to say Pacquiao didn't look like himself, but Floyd makes everyone not look like themselves. What an incredible boxer. Boring as hell to watch, but easily one of the all-time greats.

Before anyone answers that, consider what audio gear $100 could buy you...

...or, for that matter, how much beer!

I saw it for free at the link I posted. No way I would have paid $100 to watch any fight. But if I paid $100 for this one, I would say it was definitely not worth watching. Boring night. Nothing. Mayweather avoided him the whole fight and collected enough points to win.

That's the general consensus. Even mega rich celebs that wipe their ass with 100 dollar bills are saying that fight was not a well spent hundred bucks.

I didn't see it...but listened on the AM for a few rounds and listened to the reports afterwards...from what I ascertain it was basically a pugilistic version of dancing with the stars.......went to the monthly open mic at the Fret House and listened to a bunch of locals do their thing... father son guitar / banjo duet that killed it...Foggy Mountain breakdown ...admission was raised for $1 to $2 but I sucked it up and spent the money....time and money was better spent

I tried your link before the mods deleted it ( a bit odd ) I couldn't get it to work but guess I didn't miss much.
HUH? Wow! I didn't even realize it was deleted. I wonder why it was deleted, makes no sense. Oh well. It ended up working, it was just slow at the beginning of the fight.

(Next time I'll PM anyone that shows interest in an event with the link)

HUH? Wow! I didn't even realize it was deleted. I wonder why it was deleted, makes no sense. Oh well. It ended up working, it was just slow at the beginning of the fight.

I imagine the link could be constituted under some sort of piracy. The site probably doesn't want to be associated with that. It's a fucking muck-fest when it comes to those things.

I imagine the link could be constituted under some sort of piracy. The site probably doesn't want to be associated with that. It's a fucking muck-fest when it comes to those things.
Understandable. Didn't even cross my mind. It's not like taking software. The site exists and was broadcasting the fight. That's all I know. Nothing indicated to me that there was anything illegal about it. It was a site broadcasting something I wanted to see. But I guess I can see why this site didn't want to step into those muddy waters.

Understandable. Didn't even cross my mind. It's not like taking software. The site exists and was broadcasting the fight. That's all I know. Nothing indicated to me that there was anything illegal about it. It was a site broadcasting something I wanted to see. But I guess I can see why this site didn't want to step into those muddy waters.

Meh. I'm in Mass Communications--all four years during my college degree, I was forced-fed the idea of piracy being Satan's plan. If you face any mild consequences at all, that's still bullshit. This site is nice in that it hits a boundary that's below any aggressive jurisdiction. What is anyone going to do that you posted the link.....nothing. :)

They didn't delete it, still show up on post 34 for me. But yeah, probably not the best thing to be spreading around lol. I doubt the SWAT team is gearing up to bust down your door though :) Stuff like that leads the company to be much more upset with the site host than the viewers.

Was it worth $100?

I'd say the amount of entertainment I got out of it was probably worth twenty bucks. I expected it to wind up being worth about $40. So the projected $60 loss I was prepared for will go in the general ledger as $80. Anyone want me to do their taxes?

Mayweather avoided him the whole fight and collected enough points to win.

Yup, that's what he does. The hope everyone had was that Pacquiao's aggressive nature and speed would force him to fight, but his defense and counterpunching had Manny scared to come in nearly as much as he normally does. Mayweather's speed and reflexes are incredible. I'll never watch another of his fights until he's in his mid-40s and another human might have the possibility of landing a punch on him.

Back