Why are mics so expensive?

NRS

I certianly recognize theres a difference between a good mic and a shitty one and have no questions as to why people are more than willing to pay top dollar for the best of any gear, but when you take apart a mic and begin to see how minimal and simple its raw components are compared to almost any other electronic product out there (like an amp or processor), you really start to wonder where such high cost justification takes place.

Is it really all about the hype and reputation of that product, or is there just something about the production of a $1000-$2000 microphone that somehow costs the manufacturer more to produce than your average $300-$500 guitar amp? Heck, even a $100 car radio seems more a sophisticated thing to produce to me! And is a $2000 mic really more costly to build than $500 one for that matter?

It could be the R & D costs involved?

I'm thinking that your $2000 mic is going to be mainly 'hand-built', as opposed to the computer chip/transistor driven devices which are built in great numbers on a mass-production machine.....for example?

I guess mics aren't the easiest devices to properly measure, design and modify, compared to that of, say, a 'robust' guitar amp?

It's a good question, but I'm just guessing here.

Anyways, I'm sure others will give you a more proffessional answer.

Regards,
Superspit

NRS said:
I certianly recognize theres a difference between a good mic and a shitty one and have no questions as to why people are more than willing to pay top dollar for the best of any gear, but when you take apart a mic and begin to see how minimal and simple its raw components are compared to almost any other electronic product out there (like an amp or processor), you really start to wonder where such high cost justification takes place.

Is it really all about the hype and reputation of that product, or is there just something about the production of a $1000-$2000 microphone that somehow costs the manufacturer more to produce than your average $300-$500 guitar amp? Heck, even a $100 car radio seems more a sophisticated thing to produce to me! And is a $2000 mic really more costly to build than $500 one for that matter?

Have you opened up one of your processors lately? I was stunned to see just how little is really in there. And the processor makers have a lot fewer choices for raw materials than the mic makers have. Open up a solid state 10 watt chinese guitar amp chassis and see if you think there's more than $20 dollars worth of parts in there!! LOL!!

You tried to build your own mic lately?? That might answer some of your questions! A good diaphragm and a good transformer is a lot harder to come by than a good microchip DSP is.

There is certainly a lot more to it than just taking apart something and reverse engineering it. If it were that easy, people would do it. Some people might like to say that they have, but generally speaking they are not honest about the end result.

I just got home from singing through a $20,000 Neumann U67. It's worth every penny! :cool:

Last edited:
Micter said:
I just got home from singing through a $20,000 Neumann U67. It's worth every penny! :cool:
Ummm that's a bit much for a u67 - most of them go for $4000 - $7000. to hit 20k it must have been made of gold ;)

Do's and dont's about Microphones

Mics are expensive, that's why you must be very careful when handling them. Here are a few tips I have gathered from experience over the years for beginners and veterans alike.

1. Do not swing the microphone like a midieval flail, only David Lee Roth looks cool doing that.

2. Do not kick the microphone stand like in the Nirvana videos. Again, they only did it to look cool and "badass".

3. Do not throw the mic at your drummer during practice, they're never worth it, ever.

4. Microphones are best stored in their assigned cases, not your girlfriends nightstand.

5. Brush your teeth, it's been three days I can smell your mouth and his ass.

6. Wrapping the cord around your wrist ten times really tight is not and does not make you hardcore. Just because you sing so hard the mic won't fly out of your hand. You're going to break the cord you shit, stop that right now.

7. If you're going to perform rap circus acts tossing microphones at each other during your set, don't do it unless your last on the set list, other people may need them to function properly after you're done dropping them, besides it sounds really dumb when they hit the floor. You need to pratice that kind of crap for weeks before the show, and use your sisters hair brush instead, it's cheaper that way.

8. A microphone is not a line bob for the kitty to swat at nor is it for the dog to chew. Do not treat you mic like an old shoe, it's cruel.

9. If it's not wireless, you can't run up the basement stairs with it. Trust me.

10. Microphones are not stir sticks for the punch bowl.

11. Microphones are not weapons that's what cymbals are for.

12. Last but not least, take my fucking mic out of your pants, it doen'st make your dick look big, it makes my microphone smell like cock, you look retarted and you're not fooling anybody.

Mostly economy of scale. The cost of designing a mic (R&D) and tooling up to build ten microphones is about the same as tooling up to build a thousand, but in one case, it's spread across ten mics and in the other case, it's spread across a thousand.

This is coupled with high margins by older players in the field who rely on their reputation to let them get away with higher prices. Of course, that only works for so long before competition from new players with solid products starts to cut into those margins. That's why prices are creeping downward for most non-vintage mics.

NRS said:

There is more labor cost in an expensive, hand made capsule, and their advertising cost is spread over fewer unit sales than, say, Shure or some cheap guitar amp maker.

Cheers,

Otto

Dumby said:
11. Microphones are not weapons that's what cymbals are for.

Sounds like you've never owned an RE20......stops a Sierra on a dime if shoulder fired at the engine block.....and it will still work afterward!

recordingpro said:
Ummm that's a bit much for a u67 - most of them go for $4000 - $7000. to hit 20k it must have been made of gold ;)

Not made of gold but mint and sounds like pure magic! ;) It's an early model made in 1962. I sure couldn't pay that much right now but it's a killer mic none the less.

on that note- you have got to love studios that tell their clients how much they paid for their gear with a little 'embellishing.'

my old partner went to a studio in NY to hang and they told him they paid 30 K for some comp they probably paid 300 for.

do they think these stories don't get around?

also - david lee roth never looks cool.

Later.

I read somewhere that the more expensive mic manufacturers reject as many as four out of 5 capsules due to high quality control standards during testing.

Back