Who can REALLY play an instrument???

im taking music theory my junior or senior year...i can play soemthing lame on the piano, but i'd like to get better...ive messed around with the guitar a couple times...if i needed soemthing live recorded id have one of my friends do it...brother plays drums, guitar, piano, melodica, a bunch of friends play bass and guitar...

thane1200 said:
I used to take piano lessons a while back, I'm getting back into it and buying sheet music to learn (teach myself) again. I'm also considering an electric drumkit to learn to play.

I do however play my turntables as instruments.......(start flaming now) ;)

I know I'm reviving an old thread... But I'd rather revive an old one then make a new one....So 'ere goes...

I've been banging around on the piano for years and I really want to take it to the next level. I want to really be able to leave the quantizing and midi programming behind... As a result, I'm seriously considering piano lessons. I know this is a pretty broad and arbitrary series of questions ...but..

What can I expect from piano lessons?
Will its main benefit be that someone is keeping an eye on my practice regimen or should I expect something more?

I know everyone will say these things depend on the teacher. I grew up playing the guitar on my own and I've always had that "self-taught" mentality (most people will hopefully get my drift on that one)... My problem isn't guitar though (not that I've mastered it).. It's piano...

And now for the overwhelmingly broad questions that I'll most likely get flamed for not looking up the answers to on my own (we all ask those kinds of questions here once in a while)....

How many days would I normally go in a week's time?
How much is a reasonable amount to spend?
What kinda results should I expect?
and the bonus!!
How long before I can play Ray Charles songs with my eyes closed??? :D

So if anyone is bored and wants to lend me a hand on my questions... Please do.. Otherwise... Gimme a break man... I just wanna learn! :)

Thanks!

I've been seriously considering piano lessons myself for quite a while now but can't find the time. I feel so limited that sometimes I go crazy tryin' to make something new. Sometimes I just bang on the keyboard and magic happens, but it's too random to rely on it.

I would think that with piano lessons, you would probably go once a week and pay a per visit rate, although have no clue of what it would be. $25 for an hour maybe?
I would think they'd start by teaching you rythm and just the notes and chords and start with something simple like twinkle twinkle little star or some shit.

If you do go for it, fill me in. One of these days I'll go for it myself. Maybe just find an old lady with spare time and a passion for hip-hop... or just some spare time would do.

-Springfield

Back