Who can REALLY play an instrument???

crunkthanamug

Yo, Im curious as to how many of you guys can actually play instruments. I taught myself the piano and Im workin on the guitar now. All these samples/soundfonts are COOL but sometimes you just cant fade a "live" bassline or guitar riff... Do you guys stick to the machines mostly or do any of you record "real" instruments???

I play keyboard by ear, but I'm trying to get better so I can play by note. Other than that, I'd probably be overdoing it if I tried other instruments.

Fieva said:
I play keyboard by ear, but I'm trying to get better so I can play by note. Other than that, I'd probably be overdoing it if I tried other instruments.

Thats cool, Im just trying to expand my horizons -- so when I "get on" my live show will be on point. Ive done shows with just the beat playing off a cd and it felt so empty. Not enough artists use a band at their shows IMO. Anybody can just turn a beat on... but real instruments give the fans more. Its exciting... But then again maybe that expectation is only for RnB, not rap.

Yeah rap is a little different. You can have a band behind you with keys and some guitars, but you can also have a DJ scratching in the background as well.

I used to take piano lessons a while back, I'm getting back into it and buying sheet music to learn (teach myself) again. I'm also considering an electric drumkit to learn to play.

I do however play my turntables as instruments.......(start flaming now) ;)

I'm not a hip hop guy, but I was *impressed* when I saw a buddy of mine rapping with his backup band- drums, bass, and sax. The musicians knew the beats from his CD and did jazz-like improvisations with them, put accents and dynamics in where they belonged, etc. It was *sweet* and the crowd (at a fundraising event with other artists including Muriel Anderson, Kai Eckhardt, Victor Wooten and an operatic soloist)- which would typically not be all that into hip hop- was completely into it.

It was really cool to see great musicianship and great hip hop cross boundaries and kick ass.

Take care,
Chris

Well i play keys, I have a guitar but I don't know how to play it, and I'm thinking about getting a bass so I can learn that one shouldn't be that hard I mean it only has 4 strings on it :D

i played violin for 2 years, and alto-sax for 2 years.
i can play drums a little, and im decent on the piano.

so basically, i know a lil' something, but i wouldnt say im great at any.

Thats tight

ethos said:
i played violin for 2 years, and alto-sax for 2 years.
i can play drums a little, and im decent on the piano.

so basically, i know a lil' something, but i wouldnt say im great at any.

its good to see somebody playing the "exotic" instruments...guitars and pianos are common at a lot of shows -- but a violin...whoa! I wanna get one someday, but they cost a grip...

I play viola, violin, and piano; studied at the Peabody Conservatory and currently studying at the Manhattan School of Music.

~Matt~

I play the piano by ear, Drums by skill, Tuba by sheet music & Trombone to hit people with the slide :p other then that, I use the computer :o & I own a guitar but I don't know how to play it good enough to use it for anything, I also own a Keyboard, but don't know how to play it by ear good enough to use it for anything either, however, I am learning.

DjIce :D

DjIce said:
I play the piano by ear,, I also own a Keyboard, but don't know how to play it by ear good enough to use it for anything either, however, I am learning.

DjIce :D

uummm :o im pretty sure that those two instruments right there, are, well down right ONE AND THE SAME as far as how they operate

Jamal Bucket said:
uummm :o im pretty sure that those two instruments right there, are, well down right ONE AND THE SAME as far as how they operate

Hence why I said "I don't know how to play it by ear well enough" because I stated I played the piano by ear as well...but the fact that they are 2 different instruments is the only reason I said the 2 things I did of them. :cool: :)

DjIce

I dont play anything..but my drum machine....

does that counts...naww just playin

never learned to play anything..just go by ear..

I play keyboard by ear and I play didgeridoo....the treetube you see them aboriginies play on the flats of Australia...I'm white though hehe

ethos said:
lol, thats dope, your the first person ive ever talked to who plays a didgeridoo.

Well ethos...we're at the brink of extinction... hehe

Besides I like to stir shit up, and nothing stir shit up more than saying that you play something that most people have a hard time pronouncing, let alone grasp the concept that it's actually just a tube of tree with nothing but air and lips making the sound...

Back