Which SDCs?

On acoustic guitar, which is the main reason for me to have a SDC, I have owned the Studio Project C-4, the Shure SM81, and the Peluso CEMC6. Since I am a small home studio and do not have a need for all three, I sold the Studio Projects and Shure, kept the Peluso. With my setup, room, equipment etc., the Peluso made my guitar sound the most natural with no harshness.

cnix said:
On acoustic guitar, which is the main reason for me to have a SDC, I have owned the Studio Project C-4, the Shure SM81, and the Peluso CEMC6. Since I am a small home studio and do not have a need for all three, I sold the Studio Projects and Shure, kept the Peluso. With my setup, room, equipment etc., the Peluso made my guitar sound the most natural with no harshness.

I'm favorably impressed with my modded SM-81s. I got them recently from Scott Dorsey. Long ago, he removed the slotted discs in front of the capsule. He wrote about it in a recent issue of Recording mag. It causes the high end to drop a bit above 15 KHz (David Josephson did measurements for him that showed -3 dB at 18 K), but cleans up the transient response by reducing the resonance introduced by the slotted disc, which creates a sort of resonant chamber. Anyway, it's more to my liking than the stock SM-81. Still, I mainly use the SM-80 omni capsules on the SM-81 bodies.

Cheers,

Otto

I'm looking at SDC's myself and mainly for accoustic guitar.
I would seriously check out the Peluso. Cnix's advice
is a nice confirmation. What mic-pre will you be using and
what application(s) will you be using this mic?

I'm running two Chameleon Labs 7602's. How would you describe the tonal differences between the Pelusos and Shures? I'm trying out the Shure... but I think I'll probably end up order the Peluso as well.

I've heard great things about CL7602. I would think a Peluso with CL would be a great combo. I am recording simple accoustic/folk with orch sounds so i am going for clarity/transparency. I've used an SM81 for OH recording and liked them. I haven't listened to them side by side with Peluso. I would guess they have a simular tonality and is a matter of personal taste.

I think the Studio Projects B1's, although LDC's, are a great option to SDC's for a home studio. Especially when comparing to SDC's in a similar price range.

I've used all those mics extensively. But since I have no idea what you're recording or what kind of sound you want, I'd be shooting in the dark to make any recommends. Throw us a bone...

Back