Which mic for Acoustic 6 String

But...everytime I see "Oktava" I just think it is cheap for some reason, I need to get one sometime and form a rational opinion. heh.

:) Yea, it is kind of confusing.

They are . . . but they aren't . . . cheap mics, depending on where they come from. The reason most of the cheapo mics are cheap is because of the quality control (or lack thereof) anyway, so the added cost of purchasing a matched pair - or the ones from the sound room - is for the added piece of mind that you're getting good ones. And a good pair of Oktavas, in my opinion, will beat the pants off of anything else (that I've heard) below the $500 mark (with the exception of the mxl 603, which is almost identical in sound, but not nearly as versatile).

What exactly do they look for to match in "matched pairs", just curious, seems like it makes a HUGE difference...
-DAN

DanielJohn said:
What exactly do they look for to match in "matched pairs", just curious, seems like it makes a HUGE difference...
-DAN
When you "match" mics, there are two critical areas you try to match, and one less critical area. Here's the order of importance (and why):

1. Frequency response. The most critical area of all. You use matched pairs to record something in stereo. If one mic has a peak, the image will shift to that side everytime the source plays a note in that peak range. Rather than sound like the performer is standing in one place, the image will wander all over the place depending on the peaks and dips in each mic.

2. Sensitivity. A little less critical, but comforting to a buyer. The frequency response may be identical, but one mic might be a lot louder than the other one. It won't be a problem for loud sources (simply adjust the preamp gain till they match), but on softer sources, it might bring up the noise in the rest of the chain for the less sensative mic. If it's only a sensitivity issue, you just mark which mic is louder, and by how much. Most companies try to match sensitivity as well as reponse.

3. Internal self noise. Most high quality mics have a pretty low self noise, but if you can find two mics that have about the same noise level, and good characteristics in the first two areas I mentioned, you've got a great pair of matched mics.

Track Rat, please note not all Sound Room matched 012 pairs come with all 3 capsules. Taylor Johnson sells them anyway you want them, and the $424 I quoted was for a matched pair with only the cardioid capsules. I have those, and I bought just the 1 omni capsule as an extra, because I have no knowledge of what to do with a matched omni pair, and my current project really doesn't call for hypercardioids. Anyway, I felt that was the most efficient use of my budget. I think the extra omni capsule cost me about $65. Short of the little Neumanns (? KM184), they seem to be about the best small diaphragm matched pair you can buy without breaking the bank. How about the day Taylor Johnson starts matching MXL 603's? Sign me up now.-Richie

Last edited:
My mistake. It's been a long day. They are very simaler to a KM-184. The Neumann has a bit more on top but the Octavas are still dandies.

Q about recording acoustics...

OK, so if you're using a pair of mics on an acoustic, are you mixing to one track before going to tape or HD, or are you recording to two separate tracks and using 'em both at mixdown? Or does it "just depend" based on circumstances...

I assume if you're using XY miking or other stereo techniques you're going to two tracks. But what about if you're doing something different, say on mic at the 12th fret and one over the shoulder?

Thanks,

Lee

BTW:

tdukex said:
Here's the 603s at 8thstreet for $79:

The big brown truck has a pair of these for me on the way from 8th street. Buy a pair and they toss in a couple of mic cables...

Back