Which mic for Acoustic 6 String

DanielJohn

Want the cleanest sound I can get out of my acoustic guitar, what can you guys suggest as far as mic's for acoustic guitars. Should I completely forget micing it and get an acoustic pickup, or no?
Thanks
-DAN

i LOVE the sound of micing an acoustic WAY MORE then one with pickups...at least any of the ones i can afford...lol

but - how much would you want to spend on a mic?

Basically, what Chessrock said. That aside, they're $424 at the Sound Room, and worth every penny of it. But $424 is not $300. While I haven't used them, numerous people here whose opinions I respect have suggested MXL 603's. Somebody who actually uses them will give you the lowdown. One thing I might try is one Oktava MC012. While they aren't matched as pairs, and quality control is flaky at best, one of them can be had for $150 or less at Guitar Center. This is the best cheap mic I've personally heard on acoustic guitar.-Richie

Well, if acheiving the highest quality of sound will take $424, I think it's worth it, I'll just have to save a little here and there :)

I'm also assuming there is a difference between the 603S and the 603, because i found the 603S from micguys.com for only $89.

There is no difference between the mk012 and the mc012.

And the 603s and 603 are the same mic as well, and the $89 price tag is not a typo. They really are that cheap - actually cheaper (you should be able to snag one for $75). And yes, they really are that good!

Hey DJ don't forget

you will need power for these condenser mics. I don't know what you have for preamps either.

I would call the seller first and make sure you feel confident that he/she is reputable. His feedback rating is pretty impressive, so that's a good sign. It just seems like it would be too easy to pull the wool over someone's eyes and pass a pair of oktavas from guitar center (on sale) off as a real matched stereo pair.

Not that this seller is doing that. I'd just be sure to email or call the seller, and ask some questions untill you feel confident that they are legit. If so, then it looks like a pretty good deal.

If your mixer has phantom power in it, absolutely. I looked at your e-bay listing. Looks like one capsule each and the 10dB attenuator. The 012s from the SoundRoom come with the pad and three capsules each, omni, cardiod and hyper cardiod. They're definately a killer mic.

what is the deal with Oktava from Guitar Center anyways? I think there was another thread about this...I will search for it.

But...everytime I see "Oktava" I just think it is cheap for some reason, I need to get one sometime and form a rational opinion. heh.

-wes

They're not cheap mics. They do have quality controll issues. The Sound Room Octavas get a much higher level of scrutiny before being passed along to the public, hence, the higher street price than the Guitar Center mics.

<==== Here's one happy MXL 603 owner.

I think they sound fantastic on Acoustic. I've used 'em on both steal and nylon strings and they do the job very well for not much cash. They are pretty sensative mics, so play around with your placement and you should be able to get most any sound you want (within reason).

If you want to hear them, I used them on the song "Mouse and the Eagle" here:

http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Chris_Shaeffer/

The main acoustics are primarily X/Y miced with two 603's. There is a little SP C-1 X/Y track mixed in. The C-1 take was too bassy and the 603 take as too tinny. (Shrug) So I mixed them. I should have paid more attention to mic placement. I've since used the 603's by them selves and they sound fine. :)

Take care,
Chris

Back