Which 8 track should I buy?

Darrell2

Hi all, first time here. I have just sold my AW16 and am looking for an analogue 8track, perhaps Fostex. Any recomendations? I just hated digital recording, its like going to the dentist. I like to be emotionaly enhanced when I record and the AW16 was just gobbledygook to me when I was in the right frome of mind to lay down a vocal. I used to run a teac 3340 years ago and I still would but the thing blew up...and I cried for days. So now Im returning to the fold with real enthusiasm. Any advise re: machine choice, desk and drum machine would be very much appreciated. All the best from Cornwall, England. Darrell2

How about a Tascam 488? Uses cassettes, which are cheap and easily available, and has a built in mixer. :) See also: Tascam 688 and Yamaha MT8X

Alternatively, Tascam 80-8/38/48/58/ATR60-8, Otari 5050-8 or Revox C278 (all 1/2" 8 tracks). Or

Fostex E8 or Tascam 388 (1/4" 8 tracks).

All of which (except the 388) will require a mixer.

Of course, it doesn't help that you're in Cornwall and almost no one will mail bulky audio equipment anymore.

THanks guys...buy heads?

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to buy replacement heads for the R8 etc. Yr right about being in Cornwall, Im going to have to be very lucky or travel far for my new beasty. I do prefer 1/2 inch tape for obvious reasons but Im interested in the MT8x Yammy (one of u mentioned) also...any good?

Darrell2 said:
Hi all, first time here. I have just sold my AW16 and am looking for an analogue 8track, perhaps Fostex. Any recomendations? I just hated digital recording, its like going to the dentist. I like to be emotionaly enhanced when I record and the AW16 was just gobbledygook to me when I was in the right frome of mind to lay down a vocal. I used to run a teac 3340 years ago and I still would but the thing blew up...and I cried for days. So now Im returning to the fold with real enthusiasm. Any advise re: machine choice, desk and drum machine would be very much appreciated. All the best from Cornwall, England. Darrell2

Welcome to the club! I've been through the same ordeal. Now, I'm using a Tascam 38 and I LOVE it. I also have 2 DBX units to run with it but actually haven't found them necessary and haven't been using them . Just curious, who makes the AW16?

You'd be better off with the 488 MKII or 688, Darrell. The MT8X only has three band EQ on four channels. Whereas they have it on all eight.

TASCAM 38 or TSR-8 are what I have heard good things about. No personal experience, sorry, but lots of research before I bought an MSR-16 (which is still at the tech getting some basic maintenance after purchase on ebay...yeah, I'm bustin' at the seams ready to get into it ;) ).
Anyway, my 488 MKII I still like, and still think it can get great sounds. I'm still learning, but check out www.soundclick.com and search artist Dale O'Brien. I have old band stuff posted done in a bigger studio, but if you listen to "Wild-Eyed Jim's" it was all tracked and mixed on a 488. I just went to 1/2" myself, but you may want to hear it just to see what the 488 sounds like. I know, sounds like a plug. Maybe so. Not for the song, but for what I think I got out of an 8 track cassette. Anyway, I got the same calling for bigger tape. Whatever route you chose, welcome back to analog! :) :) :)

I have an old Fostex model 80 which seems to be pretty cool. I need to use it more. I don't see any problems with 1/4" tape. Easy to get and cheaper than 1/2". I also have a Tascam 488 mkll, which has sweepable mids on all channels, and it's possible to get 8 channels out all at once.
https://homerecording.com/tas488tips.html

I also have an VS880EX and Cakewalk and I think the Fostex, the 488mkll, the VS, and my computer are all great. All this "this is better than that" and "analog is better than digital", etc, is all just different ways of avoiding recording. Either shit or get off the pot, ya know? :cool:

Darrell2 said:
Hi all, first time here. I have just sold my AW16 and am looking for an analogue 8track...

Sorry to read that you sold your AW16G. Surely, the machine can be frustrating because of the learning curve and also because of the difference between analog and digital recording. I use the AW16G and a Tascam 424mkIII. Slowly but surely I have learned to get the best out of both formats.

I always avoid these pissin’ contests between the analog purists and digital purists that go on here. Each format has its own strengths and weaknesses alike. I try to enjoy and utilize both formats partly because I grew up with tape machines but I’m also intrigued with the digital realm. Let’s stare the facts straight in the face. There may (hopefully not) come a day when tape recorders will no longer be manufactured. Used units may still be available through Ebay or wherever, but what are you going to do when you can’t replace parts on those tape recorders?

I think you made a mistake by selling off your AW16G. You should have kept it and pursued buying an analog recorder as well, combining the best of both worlds…so to speak.

I’ve achieved decent results with both analog and digital. Still, I’m trying to convince a friend of mine to sell me the 388 that he owns. It sits in a closet and sees no usage. If he sells it to me I will surely make use of it. I agree with you in the respect that there is just something about tape that is so much more pleasing and uncomplicated to work with.

SteveMac,

The AW16G is made by Yamaha. The unit has recently been discontinued and will be replaced by the AW1600 (16 tracks). Yamaha is also replacing their 4416 unit with the AW2400 (24 tracks). They have added a few bells and whistles, but basically the units remain the same. It’s all about marketing…….I guess.

60's guy said:
There 'ya go! I couldn't agree more! :)
Looks like we both had similar responses at about the same time. Only reason my post made it before yours was the smaller amount of words...sorry. :p

I run a Tascam TSR-8 ½" 8-track. I couldn't be happier. Most of the parts are still available from Tascam including the heads. The replacement heads for the TSR-8 and the 38 are the same.

I wouldn't worry too much about head availability though because new ones are prohibitively expensive. If they aren't completely worn you can send any head to JRF magnetics for reconditioning.

http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/JRF_relapping.html

I also used an Otari MX5050 8-track in the past and I like the TSR-8 much better. The 5050 is also a great choice for 8 on ½" though. I would be content with the 38 , MX5050-8 or TSR-8. Which ever of those you can find in the best condition is what I would go for.

-Tim :)

Last edited:
Mark7 said:
I'd second the 388. Great little unit (*lovingly pats own 388* :) )

Please correct me if I'm wrong but a 388 in any condition is quite rare in the UK ?

HUge Thanks

Thanks peeps for the info, its certainly enough food for thought and will help me make a decision. I like it here and even giggled at the witisism's posted. I must say I am not anti-digital...Its just that when I record I have to be in a certain place and when Im in thet groove I cannot program a toaster. Its just the way my brain operates.
Once again a huge thank you to all of you.
If Kass gets to read this, thanks for the jams in Greece it was a blast. Amigos on Amorgos.
Darrell :)

This 388 was listed recently. I know it's a long way from Cornwall to Oxford, but hopefully he'll relist it.

There are also three Tascam TSR8s (one of which is in Dorset) currently listed and a 38.

Back