what's your favorite cheap nice guitar

Indiana and Johnson are also one's I'd recommend to folks, as far as a cheap guitar. They're cheap enough, and playable enough for anybody just starting out, and with a few mods along the way could make some lasting guitars, unless one really wanted to upgrade to a Fender/Gibson as their skills progressed. I tend to be somewhat prejudiced in favor of the equipment, when it comes to cheap/entry level, but only because I'm capable of making most "crap" guitars sound good, and probably only because I've been noodling with 'em for 18 years (and I'm really just a decent player). If I can't make it sound good, then yes it is crap. That said, for somebody looking to get into playing guitar, but don't have the slightest clue about any of it, it would be good to try getting somebody like me to go along.

I just modded one of those bullet specials...fun little thing
Completely stock, I'd say the Bullet Special would make a great "take it places, and don't worry if it got damaged/stolen" guitar. I'd say that about the Epi Les Paul Jr. 90, but that model's out of production, but I am going to leave mine nearly stock. As soon as I get a chance, i'm going to order a couple of these knobs that are supposed to be for a Fender Super-Sonic combo, but they happen to match the P90 cover and jack plate, which against the ebony body would look a lot cooler than the black speed knobs. The body matching pick guard keeps things in order, on the color pallet.

Matt

yeah I junked everything just kept the body and neck (excellent neck on it) id say it sounds pretty good now and stays in tune...but Im no guitarist

Some pricey guits have come and gone from my life for 30 years... but I've never parted with my cheap 1980 Yamaha FG-345 acoustic. What a great guitar, even with that laminated top. Good for jamming and even good enough for some recording. Have dropped it, banged it, scratched it--all without a prob.

The pickups on the newer 112v models are, by all accounts, pretty damn good.

Pacificas (and Yamahas in general) are consistently good guitars in my experience.

like 6 months ago I saw one (pacifica 112) with "duncan design" pickups, i did not have the time try it, and when I returned the shop a week later the guitar was gone..

do you mean those?

by the way i really love the way my pacifica looks, the sunburst looks beautiful unlike some cheap-as-well guitars..

like 6 months ago I saw one (pacifica 112) with "duncan design" pickups, i did not have the time try it, and when I returned the shop a week later the guitar was gone..

do you mean those?

by the way i really love the way my pacifica looks, the sunburst looks beautiful unlike some cheap-as-well guitars..

Not sure about the duncan designed.

The Pacifica 112v has alnico magnets, the 112j doesn't, as far as I know. They all usually sound great, though.

forgot to mention a couple of the jay tursors are ok...the LP copy, 220 I think, and the tele custom sound pretty good for cheapos....Ive heard some of their basses sound OK too but Ive never played one of them

I just bought a line6 variax 300 for $50 off craigslist...might be the best buy I had there yet.

I also bought a Hamer with those duncan designed pu and got it for $60....after set up its pretty nice...Its design is close to the PRS.

$50? that beats the best of my deals!

Ive always wanted a shot of one of them but $400 always seemed a bit much for something I hadn't tried..how does it sound?

Ibanez Artcore AS-73

I got it at guitar center for $315 (about $50 less than the tag price because the guitar sales guy was cool). I tried about 15-20 guitars and I already own a variety of guitars including high end Fender's and Gibson's, but when I played the Artcore it blew me away how much better this guitar was compared to nearly half the stores guitars. Though its no comparison to my high end guitars its an amazing guitar for such a small price tag. I've never been a fan of Ibanez guitars but this one caught me by surprise.

$50? that beats the best of my deals!

Ive always wanted a shot of one of them but $400 always seemed a bit much for something I hadn't tried..how does it sound?

It sounds like alot of things...lol.

you can go to the line6 website and check them out...they have wave files of the guitar being used in every setting...the 700 variax is the same electronically but just looks a bit nicer...I might put a jackson neck on this one to trick it out a little...I can find them fairly cheap.

I had to read back through the whole thread to be sure, but rabiteguy has been the only one to mention Ibanez guitars. As said, they might not compare to to pricier Fenders and Gibsons, but we are talkin' "best bang for the buck" here. My Ibanez collection consists of an Artcore AG75TBS (translucent blue), JTK2 Jet King (sunburst) and GAX70 (jet black). The AG75 and GAX70 I'd definitely recommend (JTK2 no longer produced), and I'd also recommend their GRZ20 or AFS75T (for anybody looking for trem/vibrato) from my own experience of having tried several of each. I've seen Danelectro mentioned several times, and if I ever get a chance, I'd add at least one to my collection, although I'd hold out for a 3 pickup model, with their "Blow Switch" that turns on all 3 pickups.

I'll have to give Jay Turser a try, in the future, but not for having seen it mentioned here. Their Surfmaster model got mentioned at the Surf Guitar 101 Forums as a good one to mod. For there being a picture with the post, and having looked at the Jay Turser web site, I could see buying one, replacing all electronics and hardware, and ending up with a nice 3x P90 guitar for less than the price of a Reverend Warhawk 390, even with the replacement parts factored into the final price.

Matt

I had to read back through the whole thread to be sure, but rabiteguy has been the only one to mention Ibanez guitars. As said, they might not compare to to pricier Fenders and Gibsons, but we are talkin' "best bang for the buck" here. My Ibanez collection consists of an Artcore AG75TBS (translucent blue), JTK2 Jet King (sunburst) and GAX70 (jet black). The AG75 and GAX70 I'd definitely recommend (JTK2 no longer produced), and I'd also recommend their GRZ20 or AFS75T (for anybody looking for trem/vibrato) from my own experience of having tried several of each. I've seen Danelectro mentioned several times, and if I ever get a chance, I'd add at least one to my collection, although I'd hold out for a 3 pickup model, with their "Blow Switch" that turns on all 3 pickups.

I'll have to give Jay Turser a try, in the future, but not for having seen it mentioned here. Their Surfmaster model got mentioned at the Surf Guitar 101 Forums as a good one to mod. For there being a picture with the post, and having looked at the Jay Turser web site, I could see buying one, replacing all electronics and hardware, and ending up with a nice 3x P90 guitar for less than the price of a Reverend Warhawk 390, even with the replacement parts factored into the final price.

Matt

their LP's as good as anything by epiphone...that's not the greatest standard, I know, but when it leaves at least $200 still in your pocket its always worth thinking about as a backup or beginner guitar..

I'm going to replace the neck on a JT220D this week..

their LP's as good as anything by epiphone...that's not the greatest standard, I know, but when it leaves at least $200 still in your pocket its always worth thinking about as a backup or beginner guitar..

You should try a Samick art series les paul copy...its difference that gets it arround the lawsuits is the cutaway isnt as pointed...everything else feels and sounds like an old LesPaul...best copy Ive ever played.

2eoy34x.gif

Ill keep my eye out...just now cheap is good as none of these are going to get shipped home if/when we go back to the UK

Back