what's your favorite cheap nice guitar

DuddyGuy

No good fer nothin!
What's everybody's favourite cheap guitar? the one you can't believe sells for as little as it does, and you run around telling everyone they should get one while the goings good!

Ill start with my personal favourite (and actually my favourite guitar that I own even in comparison to much more expensive ones)

The Dean Evo Noir

probably not particularly new or interesting, but i am generally pretty pleased by most MIM Jazz basses, used for as little as $200, they do ok stock, and can really sound great with decent replacement pick ups.

daav

both sound cool I'll have to check em out... I wish I had started this thread before I spent money and bought a rogue bass... definitely not a brand I would add to this list:)

i got a 1970s Japanese made EB3 copy for $40 a couple of weeks ago...just finished restringing and setting it up tonight after cleaning it...its now officially my favourite, sounds great, forty bucks...unbelievable :)

What's everybody's favourite cheap guitar? the one you can't believe sells for as little as it does, and you run around telling everyone they should get one while the goings good!

Ill start with my personal favourite (and actually my favourite guitar that I own even in comparison to much more expensive ones)

The Dean Evo Noir

the mahogany body with set neck?

i was thinkin of that as a choice for my next guitar. right now i have a dean vendetta. i really love the feel of dean guitars. i hate how that particular guitar doesnt have any fret markers and only one volume and tone control.

hows it sound?

the mahogany body with set neck?

i was thinkin of that as a choice for my next guitar. right now i have a dean vendetta. i really love the feel of dean guitars. i hate how that particular guitar doesnt have any fret markers and only one volume and tone control.

hows it sound?

the very same! It sounds quite good, I had originally thought at the price I paid for it that I was going to have to upgrade the pickups but to be honest the dean factory ones sound excellent in my opinion.

You get used to the lack of fret markings real quick, it still has the markings on the top of the fretboard where you can see em but no one else can.

The single tone and volume knob is the biggest drawback... I've been seriously considering modding it, but it hasn't been pressing just a minor annoyance:)

I had gone into the local music shop to get some picks, and decided to check out some amps I saw the dean sitting in the corner of the used section all dusty and sort of tucked away but the shear blackness of the guitar drew me to it. I thought "wow that thing is completely blacked out... that's pretty cool", So I picked it up played on it for about ten seconds and walked up to the register and bought it without even plugging it in! It played that good. I had never heard of dean and knew nothing of their guitars at the time. I'm a big fan now though... I think if you like the vendetta you'll love the evo, well this one at least Ive played a few other evo models that I didn't like quite as much.

The only problem I had with it is that the pickups are wired to the output with a chincy male/femal adapter inside the body which kept coming loose and causing the sound to cut in and out.. so I just cut it off and soldered the connection, no probs now!

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 200
i got a 1970s Japanese made EB3 copy for $40 a couple of weeks ago...just finished restringing and setting it up tonight after cleaning it...its now officially my favourite, sounds great, forty bucks...unbelievable :)

I wish I had some serious knowledge of which one's of all those old Japanese clones are brilliant because it seems like there are alot of seriously good jap knockoffs some lawsuits some not that are just incredible guitars that can still be had for uber cheap.

I wish I had some serious knowledge of which one's of all those old Japanese clones are brilliant because it seems like there are alot of seriously good jap knockoffs some lawsuits some not that are just incredible guitars that can still be had for uber cheap.

yup..i think its luck of the draw if you've never heard the brand...the only thing I could find out about the brand is that some bassist used it in a 60's garage band..Ive seen similar here go for 2 or 3 hundred at a local vintage guitar store

I found it while looking for some cheap shelves on C'list, wasnt even in the instrument section...some young girl bought it from a yard sale thinking it was a beginner bass because its short scale then never bothered putting strings on it...it's a little beaut though

Ive also got an early 70s 12 string made in the Ibanez factory for a small company in Leeds UK..another good find though quite a bit more expensive

forgot to say favourite cheeapo..easy, squiers, junk everything and mod the wee bugger...then you've got a guitar that sounds like...a modded squier lol :D

Being in a third-tier college town, we get a lot of "tourists". I get quite a few guitars just because someone thought they'd mod a guitar, but just end up making a mess of it. Last year, I got a Washburn MG-42 that somebody had taken apart and misplaced the pickguard, pups, etc. I paid $65.00 for a body, neck w/tuners, and a Floyd.

After a couple days rummaging through my parts boxes, I had a pretty decent guitar--as luck would have it, I found a hardshell case for it when the collegiate types left in May. Yep, just laying on the sidewalk.:D

Yamaha acoustics from the 80s sound good, though not everybody will like the neck size...

Seems that the Rondo and Guitar Fetish products shine really bright these days...

Now here is a wild card instrument... Eastman guitars! I have mine and I paid around $1300 for it, most people who see it think I have something in the $4500 range!

MIA G&L basses are very undervalued IMO. There's one on my local craigslist for $450 as I type. I'd buy it but I'm saving my pennies for an upright bass.

Used Carvins are usually a steal, but they're all customized so you really have to find one that has options that you like.

MIA Peaveys are a flat steal. I got a T-40 with hardshell case for $50 and a Patriot bass with hardshell case for $50. Both craigslist deals, and I'm a craigslist hawk.

In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing off-the-shelf that qualifies as a bargain these days. The dollar is way too devalued and a "steal" has to come from overseas (otherwise you pay the premium for MIA).

The silver lining is that even $150 for a guitar can bring you 20+ options these days, many of which will be a perfectly usable instrument for learning, practice, or backup. That was not the case 10 or 15 years ago by any stretch.

forgot to say favourite cheeapo..easy, squiers, junk everything and mod the wee bugger...then you've got a guitar that sounds like...a modded squier lol :D

I was going to say a squier strat. Actually, mine is a bullet strat. It's older. Not the wal mart kind. It is not plywood, but it's really heavy. I had the bathtub rout, so I put in 2 humbuckers. The neck is huge. the guitar was shitte until I put 11s on it. Now I play it alot. I plugged the bridge screw holes and mounted an old 70s fender strat bridge I had in the drawer. It is the best fender-style trem I've ever had. Stays in tune and has the perfect tension on it. I really like that guitar. I paid $75 for it and it has about $300 worth of junk-drawrer parts on it. I'll never sell it.

I'm not sure how "affordable" this is, but relatively speaking, as long as you stay away from the collectable colors, Ibanez RG550's are a steal for what they are. They're just bare-bones H-H double locking shred guitars, can be had quite reasonably used, and have awesome trems - a pickup swap and they're just great, functional guitars.

My dual-pickup Gibson Melody Maker has a great vibe and playability for a guitar at any price, and I bought it new for $350 a couple of years back. :)

Danelectros are pretty nice for the money. I have the Pro, and it's my most played guitar:

49707429-300x300-0-0_Danelectro+Danelectro+De+Dano+Pro.jpg

And Yamaha Pacificas are great, great guitars for the money.

I'm going to second the Jay Turser nod. Great guitars for very little cash. I used to sell them in a little store in Reno and all the copies were great. I have a tele copy in rosewood - with some 51 nocasters in it and a new set of grover tuners - it is unstoppable.

Back