What's in your guitar collection?

What are you doing when you say it "loses warmth"? Signal chain? Amp? Just curious because I have never had that issue with my Strat with the PG in the bridge position.
I mean that if I go for very heavy distortion through the PG it starts to get mushy - I think the trade off for being able to handle that sort of disortion, like say my Ibanez (pointy strat with a Floyd Rose), was that it would lose warmth. I don't play with that sort of distortion that often these days so I am totally happy with it as it is.

That's where you got me all wrong. I love P-90s. The P-90s are my main attraction to that LP Jr double cut.

haha, I've only played one guitar with P90 (copies) in it - a PRS Soapbar II. Quite liked it actually but didn't buy it - I found it a bit too mushy with heavy distortion.

haha, I've only played one guitar with P90 (copies) in it - a PRS Soapbar II. Quite liked it actually but didn't buy it - I found it a bit too mushy with heavy distortion.

That must have been a bad P-90 copy because they are anything but mushy. Noisy? Yes. Bright, articulate, punchy, they got a little growl, all that. But definitely not mushy.

That must have been a bad P-90 copy because they are anything but mushy. Noisy? Yes. Bright, articulate, punchy, they got a little growl, all that. But definitely not mushy.

All the reviews I have read of that guitar said it was good and it certainly felt good - think it just didn't suit me at the time; maybe I was trying to use too much distortion, starting to mush out and lose note separation a bit.

That's where you got me all wrong. I love P-90s. The P-90s are my main attraction to that LP Jr double cut.
Does it have to be an LP Jr? The melody maker also has the P90s and it's less expensive than the LP Jr. No doubt, the JR looks awesome, but if you can save a buck and still have the same PuPs then why not?

Does it have to be an LP Jr? The melody maker also has the P90s and it's less expensive than the LP Jr. No doubt, the JR looks awesome, but if you can save a buck and still have the same PuPs then why not?

It does not have to be an LP Jr, but I like the look of the double-cut Jrs. It's the Johnny Thunders fan in me.

Were you playing it in a soup pan?

That is exactly what p90's are not and why they are still popular and copied today in their original form.

Nah, was sitting in a guitar shop. Can't remember what the amp was but I think it was a Peavey studio version of a bandit. I normally ask for something similar to a bandit when testing guitars cos I have a bandit at home.

Come to think of it, I've not given p90 pickups another thought since tthen and my playing style has changed a lot since too.

Last edited:
Avalon Guitars, of Northern Ireland, have just built this guitar for me;

Alexisfront_zps5d72cc89.jpg

Alexisback_zps42a34ed1.jpg

Alexisbevel_zpsc3c51a32.jpg

Alexisedge_zps573ee66f.jpg

BloodwoodbindingsandEVOfrets_zps38cceba4.jpg

I should take delivery in a week or two and then I'll own twenty-six guitars. I can hardly believe it !

Need to decide whether to replace my acoustic of get another electric to "finish" my electric collection

Cardio, I'm out in Brownsburg - not quite to Danville but not that far down the road from it. About 5-10 minutes away on 74.

Right now I'm stuck in Terre Haute (long story), but when I'm home I'm on Dandy Trail. We should meet up at IRC sometime, or better yet, Six Strings Down in Plainfield.

Right now I'm stuck in Terre Haute (long story), but when I'm home I'm on Dandy Trail. We should meet up at IRC sometime, or better yet, Six Strings Down in Plainfield.
You're not out there...in the state prison are you? :laughings:

Six Strings Down is a great little shop; if I'm in town when you are give me a heads up and I'll head on down to Plainfield.

You're not out there...in the state prison are you? :laughings:

Six Strings Down is a great little shop; if I'm in town when you are give me a heads up and I'll head on down to Plainfield.

No, Putnamville's got the state prison. We've got the federal facility.

Yeah, I love Dave's place. It's the guitar equivalent of Floyd's barber shop. Plus, Dave's an even bigger Allman Brothers fan than I am, so we get to talk Duane. What we should do is go see him when he and the guys play somewhere.

Oh, sorry for hijacking the thread. Bunches of guitars and shit. Carry on.

My collection

I have a modest collection of medium priced guitars and a few cheapies.
I no longer play in a band and I just do home recording and my guitars do a pretty good job.

Fender F-85 acoustic. Purchased in 1975 for $210 Would have to pay well over $1000 to get the same quality today.
Epiphone Les Paul copy.
Epiphone ES -339 Ultra.
Gibson SG.
Epiphone EBO bass.
Laney 40 watt amp.
Fender Mustang 3.

I joined the forum recently to get advice about my recording set up but I really, really love guitars! I'm moving house at the moment so they are cased and packed away but they're normally hanging up all over the place.

I don't have a great deal of money so I don't spend £thousands but I've got a few that I love.

Main guitar at the moment is a Fender FMT Telecaster - basically telecaster in name and outline body shape only.
It's Korean with two decent SD Humbuckers in it and a fixed bridge. Pretty much a Les Paul set up with coil tap. The thing feels great to play and sounds abolsolutely beautiful and warm when going for clean tones on the neck and is great for anything from slightly crunchy to punk to grunge to hard rock on the bridge. If you play quite hard the bridge usually distorts a tiny bit with a clean tone. Personally I don't think it copes to well with full on metal though - that bridge pickup starts to go a bit mushy. So I revert to my other main electric...

Ibanez RG550 - went halves with my mum on this for my 18th birthday (sadly that was 16 years ago). Don't really use it for anything other than metal any more - the bridge humbucker is great and can cope with very, very heavy distortion without going mushy. I've got myself thinking now - I don't even remember what the other pickups sound like. When I used this guitar daily I was playing mostly metal! Anyone else got one? When I started playing more softer rock/punk I picked up a..

'77 Washburn Falcon - This is a dead cool guitar, made in Japan in the late 70s. Fixed bridge, two humbuckers, LP electronics, weighs a ton, lovely to play sounds great. I wanted something simple after the floating bridge and pick up options of the Ibanez. It's been superceeded by the telecaster now but can handle heavier distortion than the Tele. I generally keep it 'cos it's so beautiful I can't bare to part with it, for friends to play on when they come over for a glass of wine/jam (yes we drink Jam!) and for playing songs off Superunknown by Soundgarden. Whenever I pick this thing up it always seems to be tuned to CGDGBE.

I have another old Strat copy with rubbish pickups and wood, it's worthless so I keep it around. A couple of cheap basses for recording and a couple of accoustics, neither of which I particularly like. If anyone knows of a decent sounding non-electo accoustic which is nice to play and sounds half decent for under £350 I would like to hear about it. I only record accoustics with a mic - i find cheaper electro-accoustics sound rubbish plugged in.

Back