'65 Epiphone Acoustic
'50s Japanese clone of Gibson Hummingbird
Taylor 414ce
Martin D-15M

'47 Martin Ukelele
Deerborne Banjo

And a few amps, too... I'm a collector... :o

Braggin' time again? Okay.

1972 (?) Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (routed)
1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2008 Gibson Les Paul R4 Goldtop ('54 reissue)
2012 Gibson Heritage SG
2011 Gibson CS 356
Fender American Strat 60th Anniversary
Fender Mexican Strat Splattercaster
Fender American Telecaster
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow
1976 Yamaha SG2000
Ibanez pointy thing
Vintage Japanese 12-string electric
Ovation Legend
Yamaha acoustic something
Takamine ditto
Martin backpacker
3 string shoebox
Jay Turser Bass

I think that's the bunch.

Braggin' time again? Okay.

1972 (?) Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (routed)
1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2008 Gibson Les Paul R4 Goldtop ('54 reissue)
2012 Gibson Heritage SG
2011 Gibson CS 356
Fender American Strat 60th Anniversary
Fender Mexican Strat Splattercaster
Fender American Telecaster
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow
1976 Yamaha SG2000
Ibanez pointy thing
Vintage Japanese 12-string electric
Ovation Legend
Yamaha acoustic something
Takamine ditto
Martin backpacker
3 string shoebox
Jay Turser Bass

I think that's the bunch.
Nice collection! What do you think about the G&L compared to the Fenders?

Nice collection! What do you think about the G&L compared to the Fenders?
Thanks. The ASAT is a totally different guitar than a Strat or Tele. The maple neck is the only common item. I don't care for Strats much but I love my Tele. The ASAT is more like a 335 than a Tele, being hollow. Very open with a bit of chime or bell tone. It also has coil tapped Seymour Duncan HBs in it so it gets some good bite. Great guitar.

edit - Actually the Strats are both rosewood necks. The Tele is maple. I like maple.DSC_0017.JPG

nice thread!

LAG 300D,
Antonio Sanchez 1023 'professor',
JJ Retro,
Danelectro DC 59' 12 string,

I really want a hofner hm83 next, that's my next planned purchase.

Pickups, amps, and speakers. That's where electric guitar tone really lives.
True, but the "feel" of it lies elsewhere and that influences your playing just as much as tone.

Guitars are so personal. I think my Tele might be my "perfect" guitar. While its beautiful, I do wish it looked a bit more classic.

True, but the "feel" of it lies elsewhere and that influences your playing just as much as tone.

Guitars are so personal. I think my Tele might be my "perfect" guitar. While its beautiful, I do wish it looked a bit more classic.

I don't dispute that at all. How the guitar feels in your hands will influence your desire to play and how you play.

But take your Tele and put different pickups in it. Plug into a different amp. Switch cabs. It will still feel and play like your Tele, but it will sound totally different.

True, but given that i spent ages shopping around for a tele that plays like a strat and sounds like a Les Paul i will leave it as it is for now!!

What the hell kind of Tele sounds like a Les Paul?
In the OP's defense, the Pearly Gates is a pretty badass pickup... It's not *exactly* like a Les Paul but it puts a bite into a Fender guitar where most of their factory pickups fall short. My first Strat ever had a PG and Texas Special singles in neck and mid positions; that thing could do anything. Anything. I've got a Les Paul to side-by-side; I may have to record a track on a Marshall (combo, I don't have room for stacks) and put them up for comparison. You might be surprised...

If you're a fan of ZZ Top at all, I read an article in Guitar World years ago in which he talked about his favorite guitar. It was one of his customized one-off jobs with a single Duncan Pearly Gates pickup and a volume control. How can you go wrong with that? :guitar:

Obviously it's not exactly like a LP, just doesn't have the weight or density in the wood, which is fine by me, I like the balance in the shape. I don't know what sort of reputation the SD '59 pick up I have in the neck has but I do like the sound of it.

Would be nice if the Pearly Gates could handle slightly heavier distortion but then it would probably lose some of its warmth.

My last couple of posts probably summarise why I love the guitar so much, it's very simple but versatile, plays fluidly and comfortably, is bright but also warm. For me it's the perfect compromise of having so many of the things I want in one guitar. sits perfectly between my Washburn (which is really like a Les Paul) and my ibanez.

It even does a slightly quacky tele impression with the coil tap.

Ah okay, I see, you have a humbucking Tele. Yeah that makes sense, and it kind of makes my point for me. The guitar itself doesn't matter that much for amplified sounds. You have a moderately hot humbucker in a guitar feeding an amp. The design and construction of your Tele influences the sound somewhat for sure, but not as much as that pickup does.

By the way, I'm not knocking your Tele at all. Not one bit. I was just curious how you got LP-like sounds from a Tele. Now I know how - humbucker.

Oh of course, if anything the tele shape and wood is slightly detrimental to the sound, but it has the advantage of being far more comfortable to play than a Les Paul or my Washburn and doesn't weigh a ton!!!

I agree that the amp and pick up combo has more influence on the sound. But I think the feel and style of the Guitar has more influence on your playing... well, my playing anyway.

You're quite into Les Pauls and Marshalls aren't you? You might find these custom fenders with humbuckers a bit thin, probably worth having a play if you come across one though. I imagine pikingrin's Loan Star Strat is pretty similar

Back