What's going on in the Mp3 clinic?

Didn't Hendrix supposedly lose the master tape to "Electric Ladyland"?

EDIT: Actually, it was Axis: Bold as Love, which is one of my favorite Jimi albums.

My favorite Jimi album is "War Heroes". I also like "Crash Landing", but that was touched up after he died. Still a good album, though.

What????? Electric ladyland was one of the finest rock albums of all time. (To me.) I mean how cool is it to pan a kick as part of an intro? The other stuff you mentioned was great also.

Along with,
Live at leeds
Tommy
Quadrophenia
Who's next
and most anything done by the Who
Along with,
Allman Brothers fillmore east
Deep Purple made in Japan, and most all early purple
Along with, all Angels while Doc Neeson was with the band including the double live disc
All Black Crows
Almost all Tom Petty

This is all good stuff to me in terms of music, and mix.

But to me, electric ladyland is fine work.

I have to agree there, electric ladyland is very well mixed, eddie kramer is a truly world class engineer.

Over at SOS, the wisest comments are along the lines of 'your mix is respectable and can't be faulted, but it's a bit by-the-numbers and vanilla. If you want a mix to shine, you have to do something unusual with it.'

Where is this place??

I like the that philosophy. A good mix isnt about all the elements being perfectly balanced and "technically" correct, but instead having the ability to move alng the song.

What????? Electric ladyland was one of the finest rock albums of all time. (To me.) I mean how cool is it to pan a kick as part of an intro? The other stuff you mentioned was great also.

Along with,
Live at leeds
Tommy
Quadrophenia
Who's next
and most anything done by the Who
Along with,
Allman Brothers fillmore east
Deep Purple made in Japan, and most all early purple
Along with, all Angels while Doc Neeson was with the band including the double live disc
All Black Crows
Almost all Tom Petty

This is all good stuff to me in terms of music, and mix.

But to me, electric ladyland is fine work.

yes, electric lady land was fine work and produced the iconic "voodoo child (slight return)" but in my opinion it wasn't as focused an effort as "axis bold as love". Hendrix didn't have Chas Chandler producing it and as a result it lacked focus and a critical producers ear. There were some killer cuts but some of the tunes and mixes on that record sound more in the experimental stage and not actually refined as they could/should be. If you compare axis and electric ladyland it's obvious an artist like jimi needed a producer. If just for the sake of saying "HEY!!! all you people that are not part of the recording session need to leave!! we have work to do!"
Even Hendrix himself wasn't completely happy with that record. He wasted time partying in the studio and had endless hangers on, and spent hours in there stoned out noodling on the guitar. When the record company started breathing down his neck for a record the album got thrown together and released. An engineer and stoned out musicians doing an album without a producer is like an out of shape football team playing games without a coach. They may make some amazing plays but won't be consistant.
I'm a HUGE Jimi Hendrix fan by the way and I love all his records including Electric Ladyland.

Never been a big Axis fan either. It just seemed like it was trying to be another "Are You Experienced?", all tight and full of radio hits, but the material was just not as strong. I think the title track and If 6 Was 9 were the best, most original ideas on the album, along with the awesome criminally underrated Ain't No Tellin... Little Wing is ok, but again his presentation seems rushed, sparse, self-conscious. It's a good song but I've heard covers that give it a more respectful treatment. The speedup in Castles Made of Sand is so dramatic, it actually draws attention away from the clunky last-minute lyrics that plague half the album's songs including that one.

And who EVER talks about Electric Ladyland without mentioning the 15 minutes of flawless sonic majesty that is the 1983/Moon-Tides suite? No matter how chaotic the studio atmosphere was, it produced that. I got my Hendrix out of the way pretty young, but every once in awhile I still get in the mood, and it's almost always 1983 from Electric Ladyland I reach for. That and the Hear My Train A' Comin' that appears on Live at Winterland. So I guess one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

Angels while Doc Neeson was with the band including the double live disc

So where are you from then? ... the Angels barely came to the notice of the world at large. Saw them back in the day, as it happened. I think some of Doc Neeson's sweat may have got on me...

Los Angeles.
But I was in a band with two brothers from Perth.
I've had a few Aussie clients including the Angels, Rose Tattoo, the Hoodoo Gurus, Inxs, and others. I like Aussies and have a bunch of friends there.
So i got in tune with a lot of the music.
☺not bad for a bloody yank c#nt, eh?☺

Never been a big Axis fan either. It just seemed like it was trying to be another "Are You Experienced?", all tight and full of radio hits, but the material was just not as strong. I think the title track and If 6 Was 9 were the best, most original ideas on the album, along with the awesome criminally underrated Ain't No Tellin... Little Wing is ok, but again his presentation seems rushed, sparse, self-conscious. It's a good song but I've heard covers that give it a more respectful treatment. The speedup in Castles Made of Sand is so dramatic, it actually draws attention away from the clunky last-minute lyrics that plague half the album's songs including that one.

And who EVER talks about Electric Ladyland without mentioning the 15 minutes of flawless sonic majesty that is the 1983/Moon-Tides suite? No matter how chaotic the studio atmosphere was, it produced that. I got my Hendrix out of the way pretty young, but every once in awhile I still get in the mood, and it's almost always 1983 from Electric Ladyland I reach for. That and the Hear My Train A' Comin' that appears on Live at Winterland. So I guess one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

"ain't no tellin'" COOKS! I love that tune. Also, I think "Spanish Castle Magic" was a fantastic composition and a standout track on axis. I disagree about littlewing....I think his is the best and definitive version, buy that's personal preference.
I love all the Hendrix stuff and have spent untold hours in front of a record player learning to play some of it. ( all my jimi records are pretty much inaudible from that).

I have been burnt out on jimi and back into jimi several times in my life. To me where Jimi Hendrix shines, playing wise, the most isn't on his balls to the wall soloing....it's on some of his more obscure stuff. songs like "Pali-gap" and the slow instrumental that closed his Woodstock set. He was the absolute master of that style of guitar. On the straight ahead heavy rock guitar soloing he would sometimes over play a bit and get a little sloppy.....but when he locked into a groove like Pali-gap or that slow insrumental that ended Woodstock he got in a zone that few other have ever been to and the playing was magical.
one of the best examples of him getting in a groove, that was caught on camera, is "like a rolling stone" from the Monterey pop set. not a lot of guitar wankery but he was really in the zone on that song.

Last edited:
I think that's a fair criticism of me. I've thought that about myself from time to time. I try to always say at least one positive thing, but I always will pick at something. My motives are only to help someone improve. But I can see where it gets grating. I'm going to try to include more positive feedback in the future. RAMI - bust me if I don't. :)

You've got great ears trip, don't stop commenting! :)

Where is this place??

Sound on Sound

Back to the Clinic discussion (I've been away for a few days)... I always tell Rami his overheads are panned too wide :laughings: - well, not anymore, as I know that's how he likes them. I'll comment when I think I can offer something helpful, or if I see a thread with zero comments. I don't always have time to listen to stuff there, though.
I post when I'm having issues with a mix - whether it be due to ear fatigue or not being able to get the mix there. I've always appreciated the nits - noises I hadn't heard, for example.
Any comments there (by me or others) are always 'keep or sweep' - if someone says I should dump the verses and rewrite based on the chorus/bridge and I'm already at the full-production recording stage, it ain't gonna happen; but if someone suggests taking a guitar out of the verse mix for example, I'll always consider the change.

I always tell Rami his overheads are panned too wide :laughings:
:D It's all good. You're not the only one. Funny thing is, I sometimes get a comment like "Your overheads aren't panned as wide in this tune", or "Your overheads are panned wider in this tune", and the funny thing is, my overheads are exactly the same for every single song. It's the one thing that never changes in my songs.

I see a thread with zero comments.
I try to resurrect tunes that are almost falling off page one with zero comments. Unfortunately, I often miss posts by regulars that have commented on my tunes, but it's not deliberate. I get so caught up in recording my own songs, and I have this thing about not listening to other music when I'm into something. I never even listen to music in my car. Its always on sports talk radio.

Man, I was going to listen to a couple of songs from the mp3 clinic, on my car stereo tonight....on the long drive home from work...
The first one, Mr cleans song, can't be linked from a phone I guess ...the link isn't highlighted. the 2nd one, H's song, requires a Dropbox app. I went through all the shit to load and register the drop box app..
and it still won't play through my phone. So, after 20 minutes of fiddle farting around I gave up and just turned the radio on.

Anyone that thinks there's anything wrong with Rami's overheads needs to stop trying to critique mixes all together.

Anyone that thinks there's anything wrong with Rami's overheads needs to stop trying to critique mixes all together.
Hehe....You've been gone for about a week, and this is your first post back? Now, that's a great guy! :D

Hehe....You've been gone for about a week, and this is your first post back? Now, that's a great guy! :D

Lol. That's partly why I don't post my mixes anymore. I don't need idiots critiquing my mixes. I need skilled ears, and they are in very short supply in the clinic these days.

Back