Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
I think best is a matter of opinions. I used Adobe Audition 3 with a ton of custom vsts I put into it. I wish they would upgrade it since 2007 but I don't think they will.

I'm running Cubase 5.5 64bit on Vista 64 SP2. So far it runs flawlessly, and very easy to learn.

As far as proprietary wares go, I am quite fond of Ableton. However, my most recent project was mostly done on Audacity. I used Ableton at first to put together some sampled beats, mixed it down and used Audacity for the rest. I had a tight deadline, and this was the easiest way for me to do it.

Mixcraft because that's what I learned on and it is rapidly catching up with the rest.
I checked out Reaper very recently and have to say that it would be my next choice.

Mixcraft because that's what I learned on and it is rapidly catching up with the rest.
I checked out Reaper very recently and have to say that it would be my next choice.

I used the original mixcraft (not any of the upgraded versions) for awhile and I was so happy when I switched to ADOBE AUDITION 3 but it was a huge learning curve. That was bout a year and half ago

I have experimented with a range of recording packages but I have been using Cakewalk Sonar for years and never wanted for anything. I have looked at CuBase but was not compelled to change and from the reviews and comparisons, I still feel no compulsion to change. I started with Sonar 3 and am now on Sonar 8. It does everything I need it to do - I can't say any more than that. I think between Sonar and CuBase, the best one is whichever one you learned the business on.

interesting this thread i started is still going.....(yes, thats me but i started a new profile)

anyways, i went and demo'd the presonus Studio one, just to see what the hype was about.

Honest opinion -

I didnt like it one bit. maybe it was a bit dumbed down too much, but i found it hard to use, and didnt quite understand the logic behind all of it. I mean, i can open up most other daws either it be Samplitude, Sonar, cubase, pro tools, etc....and they all follow the same functional format in navigation and over all general ways the program works.

but Studio One however, i ddint even know where to begin. i found it difficult to try to figure out how to set up a simple mix buss, or do other simple things. maybe its because they designed it from the ground up in a totally new way, but i simply couldnt get my head around it .....and start using it.

strange i demoed it and was producing a song in an hour or so...I use Ableton as my main DAW, i have sonar studio but Im not keen on it

when i get a new interface ill probably buy presonus for the easy upgrade to studio one pro..the mastering/project page is a genius idea

horses for courses

Oh and after trying just about every daw you can demo nothing works like ableton...for me its flawless, the others feel like running in mud :o

strange i demoed it and was producing a song in an hour or so...I use Ableton as my main DAW, i have sonar studio but Im not keen on it

when i get a new interface ill probably buy presonus for the easy upgrade to studio one pro..the mastering/project page is a genius idea

horses for courses

Oh and after trying just about every daw you can demo nothing works like ableton...for me its flawless, the others feel like running in mud :o

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1 Ableton.

Also Reaper.

I have just been having a diolema recently. I use cubase, Its the DAW I first got to know and the one I have grown to love. As I have been thinking over buying a new interface, Ive been confronted with buying something presonus which I really like the look of and the pre amps are suposedly really good. Or to go with M-audio so I can move over to pro tools, which my University uses as well as cubase 4 which is usless for cubase 5. But moraly I cant surrender to having to use specific hardwear and softwear, which is more expensive. just so I can cross work over easily from home to uni and a couple of people I work with on my course from time to time

The best software is the one that gives you the most efficient workflow and the easiest time taking an idea to the finished master stage.

The same goes for hardware. I track on Fostex multitrackers because their UIs complement those of my instruments, and mix in Ableton.

Back