Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
Interesting stuff! So it sounds like if I already have Pro-tools, I don't necessarily need to think about switching it up? Or are there much better options in terms of "bang for the buck" as others have put it?
If you already have PT and the hardware, then I'd say you have enough unless/until you find that PT is somehow holding you back.

Put another way, you'll know if or when you'll need something that PT isn't currently giving you in the same way that you'll know when your car isn't giving you enough horsepower or cargo room or fuel mileage, or whatever it is that you'll want more of.

G.

The only major reason to switch from PT to another DAW is if you were doing a lot of MIDI (including plugin/soft-instruments) stuff, in which case a DAW that has been historically built around MIDI would be better. Two notable ones in this regard would be Logic and Cubase, they have very flexible audio AND MIDI handling capabilities and both have extensive ways to interface and control hardware MIDI devices as well, with Cubase (especially with version 4 and up) arguably being more user friendly.

switched to reaper today..

so much better!

lol

Reaper is fantastic! IMHO, easy to use, simple, but lots of potential. There's so much that it does. I haven't really scratched the surface yet. Got to finish setting this computer up with the rest of the recording gear before I start using Reaper again. My digital recorders are pulling duty for now.

I use Reaper for audio and midi recording (for the midi notes) and FL for all the virtual instruments. To me, i think Cubase would be easier, knowing that it fully supports audio and midi interchangeably. Im gonna get Cubase Studio 5 educational soon! :D Any satisfied customers?

out of everything i've tried, Reaper was the best. Samplitude is 2nd best. everything else is turd.

Sonar is great for me because it's what I've spent two years learning, and still don't know all of it. I don't have the time or money to learn anything else. Additionally, I don't think the best software in world could make my product any better when I'm the 'singer'/songwriter, the band, the producer, the engineer, the mastering house, the publisher and distributor! :rolleyes:

I agree,Same here!!!
I was using acid pro for vocals(i know but it got the job done!) and making beats with fl studio.Thats all I had.than i upgraded to acid 7 because I knew acid.
Than I started messing with reason and got use to it,started rewire into fl and loved it when I combined both.

When I finaly gave nuendo a try that was it for me.
The quality was crazy. It was diffrent but easy to learn.

You right, when you do alot in the studio, I mean apart of every breakdown in a project.It is hard to have time to learn another daw.

I have sonar, and I opened it messed around for like 20 minutes. closed it and never went back.
I WILL GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT.SOON

Everyone is talking reaper, Besides price,What makes it so good?
how is the midi?
How does it compair to other daws that you have actualy used?
i just want to know because i may try it out?

I dont really use midi much...perhaps someone else knows more about that and can post.

I tried Reaper many times then dumped it and went back to my old DAW just because I was used to it however I knew reaper was better.

I finally gave up on my old DAW and leaped over to Reaper for good then started reading their forum and asking questions to try and learn how to use it properly...once I started getting to know the DAW it basically hooked me and its all I use now.

Ive tried other recording software however I prefer Reaper.

Ive tried

Samplitude
Mixcraft
Pro tools

I got a demo version of pro tools with an m audio interface I bought...I like the look of pro tools however Ive never seen a DAW thats as fussy as that one...setting up interface is a nightmare...seems the DAW would never reconize the interface...can only use certain plugins unless you download/purchase the fxpansion program to turn from VST to RTAS...Then I noticed you can only have like 5 plugins on each track in pro tools (I could be wrong on that however thats all I could add)...Also seemed like I couldnt use as many plugins in pro tools before things starting getting sluggish and slow.

I like pro tools however that is one fussy recording software...even the interface you need to buy to use it barely works in it and many people have a hard time getting software to reconize the m audio product.

I had zero problems using the same m audio product in Reaper...it was easy as easy gets.

:cool:

I've tried most of the more popular DAWs except for PT but, I prefer Reaper above all others simply because, it's very user friendly. I don't do very much ambient or synth sort of work but when I do, I use FL8 XXL to build tracks and then convert them to midi for use in Reaper.

I use PT LE and i find the work flow amazing the key is knowing your quick keys. I use logic a lot just for MIDI and it works well but i find the work flow not so good. Every studio i have worked for all use PT. In my opinion it has the best options, workflow, and reliability, but as stated many times before its all personal preference.

.Then I noticed you can only have like 5 plugins on each track in pro tools (I could be wrong on that however thats all I could add)...Also seemed like I couldnt use as many plugins in pro tools before things starting getting sluggish and slow.
:cool:

if your using 5 plugins on each track you may want to rethink your career options

I have PT HD (hate it). Never use it unless I have too.
I use Logic all the time.
It's the best DAW ever for midi. And now audio is just plain killer with Logic 9.1.1
Overall, very simple and flexible.

I also have Reaper, but although it is powerful, it's all but user friendly. It's complicated and lacks some basic features. No beat mapping, for example.
Midi is not great IMHO. I still like it. I'm learning it. But it's not user friendly.
Not my definition of user friendly anyway.

Sorry if I'm offending the hardcore Reaper community.

PT became standard more because of a "in the right place at the right time" factor than anything else. As boz has said, they were really the first ones to do it right. Earliest in the days of digital multitrack editing they were virtually (though not quite literally) the only game in town.. So when the bleeding edge studios wanted their new toys, PT was the way to go.

So, yes, PT is still very much a "standard" in pro studios - though certainly not ubiquitous - but is far from standard in home studios.

G.

Funny... When I asked the question in a computer forum, I was answered by the local 'big shot' in there, saying that Pro Tools was THE only serious programme worth having (that the others were just toys). Turned out he'd never actually used it - he just had it. A quick run through of his (at times, very pontificatory) posts showed many instances of second hand, mindless brand loyalty.

I use Fruity Loops. I haven't found a single flaw with it yet, but every day I find out something else it can do and constantly find myself saying "Wow!".

But that's probably only because I have little to no experience in anything else. Briefly, I've tried Cubase, Sonar and Ableton and can't even work out how to load a single instrument! I think if it wasn't for FL Studio, I probably would never have got into making music.

Dr. V

I use Digital Performer, but I am of the opinion that there are a number of DAW programs (Logic, ProTools, Sonar, Cubase, Ableton, Reaper and the list is growing), that offer roughly comparable functionality. I think many of us develeoped our preferences a long time ago when differences in functionality were stark. Most of those programs have filled in the functional gaps and the differences are smaller.

YMMV

Back