What studio monitors are you using?

Awesome! I like to read up on what people are using and how they like them. I was going to go the KRK route, but now, I have some decisions to make! for the time being, I'm just using Roland MA12-C's, and they are horrible. : /

I use a set of Seiwin powered monitors, made by the shop Studiospares. Like mazician, I don't know how they compare with other monitors as they were my first set, but compared to the two sets of speakers I used in the past, they batter them into submission. I like them and as they were inexpensive, they suit my cheapskateness just fine.

I've been using the Yamaha HS50's for a few months now, and I'm quite happy with them. They have the same kinda harsh upper mid/high range as their passive cousins, but they have trim switches to help tailor this to your liking. I recently added the HS10W sub to round out the system and things are working nicely. It's also abundantly clear that my room needs some acoustic treatment…The complete package ran me between around $750.
I recommend them highly.
Steve

KRK Rokit 5's. I've had them for a while, and have always loved them, although sometimes I wish I went with the 6's or 8's. They were in my price range and looked awesome. I was using Yamaha stereo speakers for far too long.

My better half just called... the Fedex truck dropped off my Equator D5's a few minutes ago... :cool:

I have something less common that I use, I have a pair of Mission Pro Monitors. Passive versions using a Hafler Amp to drive them. Mission did make an active version but I don't have those unfortunately. Mission speakers have been around in hifi for ages, I used to use a pair of mission bookshelf speakers as a second pair on monitors for years until the Pros were released. The pro series was released because of just that, people using the hifi speakers as studio monitors, they built something that would handle the riggers of studio work. Unfortunately Mission were bought out at some point by a larger company and now production I believe is in China as apposed to the UK, the pro's have been discontinued. I should say that the Mission hifi speakers still being made are very good sounding speakers for the price.

Oh and I also have an original pair of Yamaha NS10 monitors as well.

alan.

HS80's and HS50's. I had Mackie HDR824's and KRK VXT 8's previously but the Yamahas are giving me the best reference yet. Even mixing at home on my HS50's in a relatively untreated room I'm getting good results.

I've got a pretty good home hi-fi system with a Sony receiver, Mission 760i's and a Sony 10" sub that I reference mixes on. The Missions pair with the sub perfectly and the systems has a really full bottom end so if the bottoms in my mix are wrong, I know immediately. Lately I've been mixing at home to save me driving all the way to the studio and I've been really happy and surprised at the overall tonal balance I've been achieving with the Yammies.

I am a fan, not least because they are very inexpensive.

Cheers ;)

same here. i use yamaha ns 10s in a treated room at the studio i record at and yamaha hs50ms at home in an untreated room and i get fairly descent results going between the 2.

UPDATE : the Equator D5's are now installed in my studio and I'm breaking them in with various types of music. I'm floored by how they sound; they are painfully honest. My god - they're unmerciful when it comes to disclosing any type of issues. It's pretty humbling listening to some early mixes and hear all the warts. And don't let the D5's small footprint put you off... they sound huge. This was the best $300 plus freight I've spent in a long time. It's fun to switch between these D5's, my NS-10's and my original Auratone cubes... ;)

For anyone thinking about a pair of Equator D5's, they're giving free freight through the holidays.

Tascam vl-a8. The most revealing monitors Ive ever used. I bought them after reading a review of Yamaha Hs80m where the reviewer said he prefered the Tascams but bought the Yamahas because the Tascams were sold out. And the Tascams were waaaaay cheaper.

I have had my Event 20/20's and Hafler amp since 1997. Can't imagine working on anything else.

I use the KRK Rockit 5's, I find my bass doesn't show up nice on the monitors and I tend to add to much, however I've done some mixes in less than ideal places, as with any monitors you gotta learn them and listen to songs you know well on them.

Regards,

Second hand classics anyone?

I purchased a second hand pair of Yamaha NS 10s for $250 about 18 years ago and run them on an Acuphase amp, but any quality amp would do for these classics. As they lack deep bass I purchased second hand also for $250 some ancient Leak British 3 way speakers, and added a cheap sub woofer to these, but we mix 90% on the NS 10s and check sub bass on the leaks. These are also fed from the Acuphase amp. I use an old Aurotone small speaker to check mono mixes. I am very out of touch with new monitors but try to buy equipment that either has become classic fare or I think it will become classic, as this has proven to be future proof. The only thing I have improved in 18 years of recording recently is a new SSD drive PC, Cubse 6.5 , an RME UFX USB interface, and a Focusrite ISA One preamp. Buying second hand speakers sounds risky however I have purchased dozens of speakers this way and never had a problem. We also have a terrific speaker repair company in Perth WA if there is an issue. So if you are on a budget try second hand speakers and amps, by the way the Acuphase amp cost $250 also for something that is about $15,000 new, and still going strong after 20 years of constant use. It also has a great preamp for playing vinyl discs. (records!) :guitar:

Back