What studio monitors are you using?

kid klash

The original Mr. Nice Guy
I'm looking for a pair of new nearfield monitors, and so far I've listened to the current Yamaha's, M-Audios, KRK, Tannoy Reveal's, Behringer's, and Equator D5's. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, I'm leaning towards the active Equator D5's ($300 a PAIR). In the $750 or less a pair group that I've listened to, these are the most likely contender for me.

What are you using for nearfields, and how do you like them?

I'm using Mackie HR624s and I love them.
I don't have much experience in the price range though.
I upgraded from Alesis M1 active mk2s.

I'm using a pair of Hitachi's hooked up to a Realistic receiver. But my room is very well treated, and I'll take a treated room with crappy monitors over an un-treated room with great monitors any day.

Good monitors are my next purchase. But I'm saving, so that I'll only buy once.

I've got some RCF Ayra 6's at home and love them to bits. When i was looking to buy i went through the usual suspects in the under £400 a pair price range (KRK, Mackie, Fostex, Alesis, Behringer, Adam) and, to my ears, the RCF's were the most natural and most balanced. Saying that, if i could've stretched a bit more more on my budget, the new Adam F7's sounded really sweet, but, then again, i am a sucker for the high end on Adams. we have a pair of P22a's at work that blow me away every time i use them

I use Yamaha HS80M and I love them to bits. They look good and perform well. I know there are other speakers around and I might get around to trying them but with the HS80Ms I don't feel there is any rush

I use Genelec asm8030 with sub. Got them because I got them really cheap. :D No, actually they are great speakers.
But the Yammies Guitarlegend mentioned are pretty good - little bit harsh top end for me, but otherwise good. And they DO look good. :listeningmusic:

HS80's and HS50's. I had Mackie HDR824's and KRK VXT 8's previously but the Yamahas are giving me the best reference yet. Even mixing at home on my HS50's in a relatively untreated room I'm getting good results.

I've got a pretty good home hi-fi system with a Sony receiver, Mission 760i's and a Sony 10" sub that I reference mixes on. The Missions pair with the sub perfectly and the systems has a really full bottom end so if the bottoms in my mix are wrong, I know immediately. Lately I've been mixing at home to save me driving all the way to the studio and I've been really happy and surprised at the overall tonal balance I've been achieving with the Yammies.

I am a fan, not least because they are very inexpensive.

Cheers ;)

Hey. I have a pair of JBL LSR 4328's. very nice set of speakers. I had a pair of Mackie HR824 before that. They are also pretty nice. I have a buddy with the KRK 6's and they sound great in his room.

HTH

Joe

You should also check out the ADAM bookshelf speakers. They are pretty astounding quality for the money. I've had a pair of A7's for a while now and I still use them as a quick near-field check.

Mackie HR824 first generarion.Have been using these since 2002 and they are my main monitors for mixing.I also have the JBL 4206 passive monitors that I statred out with which are decent buy for the money.The Mackie's translate the mix well to the outside world.

I'm using the ME Geithain RL906 (as reviewed in the latest - November 2012 - issue of Sound On Sound), but they are rather over the OP's budget.

You can read the review HERE if you have an SOS subscription.

Geithain RL906 in birdseye maple - vsmall.jpg

I'm using Mackie HR624s and I love them.
I don't have much experience in the price range though.
I upgraded from Alesis M1 active mk2s.

Hey Steeno - I use a pair of those Alesis (my dad gave me them, so couldn't resist the price!). How would you rate them compared to the Mackies? Do you think you've gained more from your recent room treatment or the monitor upgrade? I'm thinking of upgrading in the near(ish) future and am wondering if it's really worth it, or if I just need to work on my room treatment and recording/mixing skills.

M-Audio, BX5's, although haven't recorded/mixed with them yet, they sound great from what ive heard. Was using Tannoy reveals previous to that.

Hey Steeno - I use a pair of those Alesis (my dad gave me them, so couldn't resist the price!). How would you rate them compared to the Mackies? Do you think you've gained more from your recent room treatment or the monitor upgrade? I'm thinking of upgrading in the near(ish) future and am wondering if it's really worth it, or if I just need to work on my room treatment and recording/mixing skills.

Hey man.
I didn't treat my room. I just made panels that I can lift out for tracking vocals etc.
My garage doesn't really lend itself to treatment.....Stoopid shelves.

Anyway, I remember the Mackies being a real eye opener compared to the Alesis.

I used to feel like advice in the mp3 clinic was an exercise in compensation, if that makes sense.
Now when I post there, people say the snare is this or the bass is that, I listen back and hear what they're talking about.

Put it this way. I reckon treating my room would probably make life easier,
but I feel like if there's something wrong with my mix, it's my own fault at this stage.

I'm running with a pair of Tandem Stems I got when working at Apple. These lil puppies are incredible and have a great range however the lows only go but so far before distorting if the tracks are not mastered. Still, I've been recording since 96 so my ears are extremely trained. I had a choice between these or a pair of Bose Acoustic Speakers...I bought the Bose because of the name but they literally had no bass response. Must be why they were called Acoustics (duh)...so I took them back and got the Tandem Stems. Have had them for over 2 years and they don't fail me at all. They only costed me $80!! I get great mixes with them!! Tho nothing can replace a great pair of Studio Speakers. I use the Stems along with an M-Audio MobilePre USB, MXL 990 Condenser Mic, Pop Screen and I keep the mic in a homemade recording booth-box that I learned to make from a Youtube tutorial. My recording software is Adobe Audition (Mixpad by NCH software is great too and free!) and I fine tune my mixing with Ozone Type 4. I created my own presets on Ozone with like 6 compressor settings for everything from vocals to drums to a master track.

If you follow the link in my signature that says The Grimm_Factor, you can hear my work. The songs I mixed on my Tandem Stems are: the first 7 tracks plus "What You Need" "She Got It, I See It, I Want It" "Always Grindin" "Being King Rocks" and "Nuttin2Prove"...They came out pretty good if you ask me. Almost every other song was mixed on monitors I used to own (M-Audio BX8a), or done in someone elses studio. After sometime you'll be able to pick out which ones I mixed and the others. Enjoy and I hope you dig the mixes!

I have the m-audio cx5 that I got couple mons ago when it got discontinued for $220 for the pair NEW. It is my first monitor, so don't know how it compares to the other but I really like them especially for the price.

Back