What recording/mixing software are you using?

What recording software are you using?

• Sound Forge

Votes: 62 5.9%
  • N-Track

Votes: 32 3.0%
  • Ableton Live

Votes: 65 6.2%
  • Sonar Studio

Votes: 46 4.4%
  • Sonar Producer

Votes: 163 15.5%
  • Pro Tools

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • Cubase

Votes: 271 25.8%
  • Tracktion

Votes: 25 2.4%
  • Digital Performer

Votes: 21 2.0%
  • Logic Pro

Votes: 87 8.3%
  • Image Line

Votes: 24 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 333 31.7%

• Total voters
Interesting how twice as many people use cubase than protools. Why is that?

Possibly because when you buy Cubase, you get everything for that one price. Pro Tools, unless you're buying some super pricey HD (or whatever they call it now) system, you're going to have to pay extra just to get the limitation taken off of the amount of tracks you can have. And there's a whole bunch of other upgrades you need to buy to match the functionality of Cubase.

The other possible reason is that Pro Tools only runs with certain hardware, M-Audio's stuff or Digidesign's own stuff, whereas Cubase will run whith virtually any audio interface.

Also, I've heard that the MIDI in Pro Tools isn't as good.

I've been using REAPER for a few months now and I'm very satisfied with it. All of my best recordings were done with REAPER so far.

Also, I've heard that the MIDI in Pro Tools isn't as good.

Yeah, Pro Tools is notorious for being very MIDI unfriendly. Or, should I say, was MIDI unfriendly. From what I understand, The latest version does finaly have some features specific to MIDI. It's about time because I always thought that it was rather arrogant for Pro Tools to ignore MIDI as if it didn't exist for so long. Then again, I guess the software was always designed towards pure recording anyway.

As for me, I use Sonar 7 Producer with VSL sample libraries. I've been very happy:)

Yeah, Pro Tools is notorious for being very MIDI unfriendly. Or, should I say, was MIDI unfriendly. From what I understand, The latest version does finaly have some features specific to MIDI. It's about time because I always thought that it was rather arrogant for Pro Tools to ignore MIDI as if it didn't exist for so long. Then again, I guess the software was always designed towards pure recording anyway.

As for me, I use Sonar 7 Producer with VSL sample libraries. I've been very happy:)

I think at one time,MIDI was for people who couldn't afford to record real tracks.

I use SONAR 6,but I could probably use anything.Software is so good these days,you can't fault it for the end product.

The tread from the dead

This thread is still going.

guess I will update.

Still using Tracktion 3 and the RME Fireface-800 / Octa mic D

Now added Mackie MCU and a Yamaha O1V96

and borrow a Alesis HD-24

It is interesting how a thread keeps going and is still be good at the same time :)

I see someone is still stuck in the stone age using Audacity:laughings:

Reaper IMO is still the best bang for the buck their developers stay on the cutting edge by continually improving and actually listening to users to implementing their needs to the program.

I have used cool edit pro, adobe, cubase, Magix, and a ton of other stuff. If you're new to it, none of them are easy. Even harder if you want to use
advanced features.

I sat down and took the time to learn how to use pro tools, so I'm not going to waste my time learning anything else lol

I don't really get people. Most of the people I meet who don't want to use pro tools tell me things like how they don't want to "sell out" or how they like to go against the grain. Some people make it sound like you have to be a quantum physicist to learn pro tools or something... It's a crack up!

All of the music programs are hard to use. Most people stick with one or the other because it's the one they took the time to learn.

Learn pro tools. The name sells itself.

If a musician knows 2 guys that do recording, one uses pro tools and one uses cubase. 90% of the time the musician will want the guy who uses pro tools. It's a lot like name brand clothing or anything else. Every wonder how the fat old bald guy who drives the porsche has a supermodel girlfriend? It's the same concept here :laughings:

You may want to make a poll about how many people actually paid for their copy of cubase and how many just downloaded a pirated copy LOL...

Last edited:
what version of linux are you using for ardour and jamin?
i tried ubuntu studio with not so good results........
64 studio was ok but i had troubles with jack........
what works well for you in the linux world?
currently running under the trial period of reaper on a vista computer

Back