What is so bad about the MR-8?

bsr2002 said:
Not a bad buy, I use my PC as well. I use my MR8 direct with instruments and vocals then I send the tracks one by one into Cakewalk and EQ each track individually. Works great!!!!
Nice pic!!!!!!!!!!! :D

you will go blind from squinting at those itty bitty meters

especially if you squint while youre singing

:p

Rokket said:
Yeah, actually it's uncompressed -16 bit, 44.1khz; compressed is 16bit, 22.05khz...

I don't think so.

Compressed, as it's used in this context, is when bit depth is varied below the 16-bit/44.1 standard,... such as in MP3 and ATRAC (minidisc) data reduction encoding,... as well as the proprietary data format used in most BOSS BR-recorders.

16 bit/ 22kHz is not compressed, it's "low-res".

;)

A Reel Person said:
I don't think so.

Compressed, as it's used in this context, is when bit depth is varied below the 16-bit/44.1 standard,... such as in MP3 and ATRAC (minidisc) data reduction encoding,... as well as the proprietary data format used in most BOSS BR-recorders.

16 bit/ 22kHz is not compressed, it's "low-res".

;)
I stand corrected. Thanks!

its portable, sure. but you have to invest at least another $100 in another memory card for it. otherwise the most you're gonna be able to do is 2 or 3 songs in stereo, or 1 if you need more than 2 tracks.
i have one and it helped me get acquainted with digital recording, thats for sure. the fact that i can just take the compactflash card out and put it in my media reader on my computer is good for me.
its just too limiting for my tastes. even if it had 3 inputs i would love it 500X more. having to mix everything down to stereo before running it to the mr8 is just too much of a hassle for me right now.

when i owened it..i didnt bounce it down...i just plugged it into the puter and waa-laa...all individual tracks were there 4 me to import into my favorite editor

ok to start with and learn a little, but definitely not a all-in-one solution by far. These days, there's a lot of other options to consider in the same price range that may be better maybe a lot better.

junplugged said:
ok to start with and learn a little, but definitely not a all-in-one solution by far. These days, there's a lot of other options to consider in the same price range that may be better maybe a lot better.

Hey, I heard your Washburn OE-30 test. I like that guitar.
In fact, I considered buying that one instead of the one I have now: Ibanez Artcore TM-71.
I thought that there could not be good semi-hollows for the price of the OE-30. But that guitar sounds really good...although maybe it is the tube amp that makes it sound better ( I don't have a tube amp ).

Anyway, good guitar and guitar playing.

COMPACT FLASH CARDS:

I bought my 512MB card at COSTCO. $45, Sandisk, no problems at all.

i just used my mr8 today.. sort of. i recorded bass and snare drum tracks with it. i used a mixer plugged into my computer to record the overheads. just thought i'd randomly tell everybody that!

crgl said:
Hey, I heard your Washburn OE-30 test. I like that guitar.
In fact, I considered buying that one instead of the one I have now: Ibanez Artcore TM-71.
I thought that there could not be good semi-hollows for the price of the OE-30. But that guitar sounds really good...although maybe it is the tube amp that makes it sound better ( I don't have a tube amp ).

Anyway, good guitar and guitar playing.

COMPACT FLASH CARDS:

I bought my 512MB card at COSTCO. $45, Sandisk, no problems at all.
Thanks, glad you liked it. The amp I used was a solid state Fender, but I have an Art mp studio mic preamp that I can use as a nice tube distortion for effect. It's a really rippin sound and w/ all the gain going tothe Fender, I have to put it on 1/2 of 1, basically the first spot on the dial I can hear anything b/c it's so loud.

I just tried it w/ the boss super overdrive stomp pedal, sd-1, and I liked that a lot also, sustainey and smooth, more control and less volume, that old pedal is pretty good.

That price was so insane I had to take the chance. I didn't do the track on the mr8, tho, I did it on my new Korg, but I think I might have mixed it down to the Mr8.

There's no way I'm getting rid of the mr8, even w/ it's limitations, once you get into recording, you'll have plenty of stuff hanging around to make it work even if you had another DAW, it's too handy for lots of things and quick notes and recording off radio, and mixing to and portable....

424 mk III

A Reel Person said:
but some people, such as myself, still think the likes of the Tascam 424mkIII is technically superior to the MR8. That's my basic point. :eek: ;)

The fact that people get **stars** in their eyes over the word "digital",... is one of the things that drives the success of the MR8. Comparing features and specs, the MR8 doesn't fare that well against the 424mkIII.

/DA

I had the 424 MK III and got some real nice recordings but I believe the MR8 has taken the quality up by several notches. AND the ease of transfering to computer for editing is a plus. (I don't try to edit on the MR8) Editing on the 424mk was punch in or redo.
I am not slamming the 424...its got some great features. I just never got the quality on it that I have with the MR8 in conjunction with computer editing and mixing. The stars I get in my eyes are over presence, clarity and the additional tracks. I gotta admit, I purchased my quality mics after I sold the Tascam so that could've made a difference.

Last edited:
Well, that's cool & all,...

but I don't think the MR8 "takes it up a few notches" from the 424mkIII.

Examples:
> 424mkIII: 8/input- 6/channel-strip- 2/buss mixer- w/4-Direct capablility
> Fostex MR8: 4/input- 2/channel, w/no mixer to speak of.

> 424mkIII: 4-XLR inputs & 8-1/4" inputs, (no phantom power), 8 inputs of which may be used simultaneously. (XLR & 1/4" inputs may not be used on same channel simultaneously).
> MR8: 2-XLR inputs (no phantom power) & 2-1/4" inputs. (The XLR and 1/4" jacks may not be used on the same channel simultaneously).

> 424mkIII: Records 2-simul/max in buss mode, where all 8 inputs can be bussed to 2 tracks. Records 4-simul/max in Direct-mode.
> MR8: 2 inputs-to-2 tracks, 2-simul recording/max.

> 424mkIII: Analog I/O, Line-Outs & Monitor Outs in stereo.
> MR8: Analog Line Outs & USB

> 424mkIII: (2) Effects outputs, one of which doubles as CUE monitor.
> MR8: No effects outputs, but contains effects-button "presets".

> 424mkIII: 6-channels with 3-band EQ, w/mid-sweep.
> Mr8: No EQ to speak of, except EQ-button "presets".

> 424mkIII: Built-in high-function mixer.
> MR8: Requires external mixer for upward (>2) mixing functionality.

> 424mkIII: 15 min/4-track record time w/C-60 cassette, 22.5 min/4-track record time w/C-90. When media is full, just change out to a new cassette & continue.
> MR8: Appx. 3min/8-track record time on standard sized 128mb CF card,... more time allowed if you purchase a bigger CF card, at extra cost. When memory is full, you must dump memory to your 'puter & clear card to continue.

> 424mkIII: functions fully independent of the 'puter.
> MR8: full functionality dependent on the 'puter.

> 424mkIII: Tracks: 4-total.
> MR8: Tracks: 8-total.

> 424mkIII: AC powered, w/12Vdc adapter.
> MR8: Battery or AC-12Vdc adaptor powered.

> 424mkIII: S/N Ratio: Normal Speed: 88db w/dbx (unweighted), High Speed: 90db w/dbx (unweighted).
> MR8: S/N Ratio: 88db (unweighted).
** See friends, this tells a lot about the sound quality, and by these numbers, (S/N Ratio), the 424mkIII "takes it up a notch" on the MR8!!!** Sorry to burst yer bubble, all you MR8 guys!!!

> 424mkIII: Blue!... (although I've seen one from Japan that was black).
> MR8: Red!... (that I've heard is now also offered in black).

So,... make yer own judgments, but in my book, the 424mkIII is a WHOLE LOT MORE RECORDING TECH than the MR8.

I have (2) 424mkIII's, as well as (2) 424mkII's, but I'd not even consider getting the MR8, because (IMO) it's cheap and underpowered. As always, YMMV. :eek:

Last edited:
Mmm something tells me you like the 424.
But you didn't mention tape hiss
or the limited upper frequency response, what was it about 15 kHz? What is it on the MR8?

I used to own a Tascam 688 Midistudio - a beatiful piece of kit, with a really good mixer (even better than the 424!) but the hiss and limited frequency response made it a real disappointment audio wise.

I had a 414 mk2 for a while (got it while my Yam. MD8 was down). Enjoyed the immediacy of it for a while. But once I got a VF160 I never used it.

Also you didn't mention the joys of changing/storing tapes, cleaning tape heads, aligning heads, regular setups, demagnetising. etc etc.

Actually I think the nicest sound I ever got was from a Fos A8 but too much hassle.

Just a few thoughts

Orc

Oh no, I don't like the 424mkIII, I only have 2 of them.

If it's something I like, I'll get 4 or 5 of 'em. :eek:

The frequency response of the 424mkIII is 40Hz-16kHz, +/-3db @ hi speed. The MR8's frequency response is 20Hz-20kHz. That's not a deal maker or breaker for me, because the average human hearing tops out around 16k anyway.

Tape hiss is not an issue if dbx is used, which it should be on any Portastudio, and if you're using it to it's optimum levels.

All that tape archiving, head cleaning demagnetizing,... etc,... yeah,... & so what? Still not a convincing argument for the MR8.

But hey, in reality, I have my "kit" and I'm very happy with it. I don't care if ALL of you buy MR8's,... in fact, I recommend that EVERYONE rushes out and buys the MR8 after reading this thread. Okay? Great! Thanx!;)

Ah you've only got TWO

How many recorders can you use?

Actually my post wasn't meant to be pro MR8 (despite the title of the thread!). I was interested by your comparison of the machines, and your devotion to tape.

I haven't kept any of my old machines, and what's just hit me is the hundreds of hours that I spent getting to know them,
and how much I loved them at the time...
and now they're gone...boo hoo
(now see what you've done)

Orc

MR8 / 424mkIII

A Reel Person said:
If it's something I like, I'll get 4 or 5 of 'em. :eek:

The frequency response of the 424mkIII is 40Hz-16kHz, +/-3db @ hi speed. The MR8's frequency response is 20Hz-20kHz. That's not a deal maker or breaker for me, because the average human hearing tops out around 16k anyway.

Tape hiss is not an issue if dbx is used, which it should be on any Portastudio, and if you're using it to it's optimum levels.

All that tape archiving, head cleaning demagnetizing,... etc,... yeah,... & so what? Still not a convincing argument for the MR8.

But hey, in reality, I have my "kit" and I'm very happy with it. I don't care if ALL of you buy MR8's,... in fact, I recommend that EVERYONE rushes out and buys the MR8 after reading this thread. Okay? Great! Thanx!;)

Hey that's cool, I'm glad you like it. I really wasn't knocking the Tascam because it is a great machine. It looks technically superior in specs. I can't deny that. I was simply saying that my recordings are a few notches better with the MR8 but I admitted that I bought some better mics after I got the MR8. Maybe that's why. However, I hated the generational loss of quality every time I had to bounce because I only had 4 tracks.
Look, I have seen enough posts on here to know that almost everybody stands up for the stuff they have. I understand that.
I have owned the MR8 AND the 424mkIII so I have hands on experience. The Tascam has some good specs. No doubt. Now I know you don't agree with this but working in the digital realm enables me to do some things that I just simply couldn't do on the Tascam. Just the ability to edit on the computer is quite an improvement.
Truth is the MR8 is entry level and I know it. I'm not gonna argue that it's more than it is.

ch2os7 said:
Truth is the MR8 is entry level and I know it. I'm not gonna argue that it's more than it is.
But it's red! :D

Seriously, mine was a gift or I wouldn't have it either. On the flip side of that, I have learned quite a bit from using it. Things I don't think I would have learned if I'd stay with the the (*shudder*) Tascam MF-P01...

PC Recording, ewww!

A Reel Person said:
................ :eek:
I'm with you on that one, Dave. There are just too many things to have to deal with.
On the other hand, the MR-8 makes it easy to transfer the tracks and mix via pc. :)
When I get my finances straight, I am going to get a decent analog console and do a hybred digital/analog thing. ;) I have a lot to learn first...

Back