What interface do I need?

Also, I don't think that I can use the usb interface that's built in, since we bought the mixer from someone else, and in order to install the drivers, I'm pretty sure you need a "cd that's supplied".

Can you just explain what will happen if I plug the 222 inputs to rec send on my mixer, then the uca's outputs to a pair of active monitors, and the usb to the computer? What will happen? How many chanells would I be able to record? I'm not going to do this, I'm just interested in learning!

The first likely thing to happen is that the 222's inputs will be overloaded! The interface (got one) has an Operating Level of -10dBV (316mV) and I would put a tenner on that mixer delivering +4dBu about 3 times that so you would have buggerall headroom.

The 222 should drive a pair of active monitors but the output is unbalanced. Actually the wee Behryy is quite a good 16 bit DAC for the money...WAY better than any PC soundcard but for recording the 16 bit only word length and low headroom makes them poor company for "pro" gear.

Keep it for tape dubbing duties!

Dave.

The first likely thing to happen is that the 222's inputs will be overloaded! The interface (got one) has an Operating Level of -10dBV (316mV) and I would put a tenner on that mixer delivering +4dBu about 3 times that so you would have buggerall headroom.

The 222 should drive a pair of active monitors but the output is unbalanced. Actually the wee Behryy is quite a good 16 bit DAC for the money...WAY better than any PC soundcard but for recording the 16 bit only word length and low headroom makes them poor company for "pro" gear.

Keep it for tape dubbing duties!

Dave.

Oh ok! So let me get this straight! I might have 3 options:

1. Using the USB digital interface that my mixer has (I can use 4 chanells), but I'm not sure if I must use the cd to install the drivers. I don't have the cd, since I bought the mixer from someone else, not brand new from store. So do I need the cd to install the drivers? In the manual it says that I must install the drivers, and in the middle of the process I must plug the mixer in the pc, then instert the "cd that was supplied". I'm not really sure...

2. Buying an interface with let's say 9 inputs. If I want to record drums, I mic them up, plug them into 9 channels, and from each chanell go from the channel insert and use it as a direct out, plug the cable going from the insert directly into the input of the interface, and record!

3. Buy an interface with 2 inputs (focusrite 2i2), and use drums on my synth. That's what I would do, since I won't have much time to record live drums.

Ok, so if I got this right, in audio recording, mixers are used just because of the preamps, am I right? Not to record more channels, since you need more channels on your interface as well.

Also, I don't think that I can use the usb interface that's built in, since we bought the mixer from someone else, and in order to install the drivers, I'm pretty sure you need a "cd that's supplied".

Aw! You should be able to download the drivers from the manfctrs or you can often find some helpful bod on't'net that will help. I have several CDs of old XP drivers.

Are you sure I just download that? No cds needed? I currently don't have an a

Rats! Forum quote has gone T's U again. Yes, just download the driver. Make sure you get the right one. IIRC they are zip files so what I usually do is "save" then "view downloads" click on it and copy to desktop and then "extract here".

Almost always with USB AI drivers you run them BEFORE you plug the gear in then connect when told.

And, err, yes a cable would be handy! Don't pay silly monies, almost anything works but don't get one over 3mtrs. Should you want a longer one, and 5mtrs is the absolute max, THEN pay for better quality cable.
While we are at it, do not try to run the USB mixer from a USB hub in fact USB ports usually come in pairs and it is best to have an AI as the sole device of a pair. Front of PC ports might be 1.1 but this is rare these days.

Dave.

Can't freakin edit now!

Just spotted you have a synth (for drums?) If it has DIN MIDI ports DON'T get a 2i2. The 2i4 has MIDI but IMHO the Steinberg UR22 is just as good, has MIDI, Cubase and costs less!

Dave.

Can't freakin edit now!

Just spotted you have a synth (for drums?) If it has DIN MIDI ports DON'T get a 2i2. The 2i4 has MIDI but IMHO the Steinberg UR22 is just as good, has MIDI, Cubase and costs less!

Dave.

I've got a Korg M1. It has midi inputs, and this is going to sound stupid: I have drums programmed as I sound in it, and I'll use that, not midi. I'll record for myself, I know the benefits of using midi drums, but It's just for fun. I will use the interface that the mixer has, which alows me 4 channels, which are more than enough.

I've got a Korg M1. It has midi inputs, and this is going to sound stupid: I have drums programmed as I sound in it, and I'll use that, not midi. I'll record for myself, I know the benefits of using midi drums, but It's just for fun. I will use the interface that the mixer has, which alows me 4 channels, which are more than enough.

Ok, but you did say " 3) Buy an interface, 2i2" as an option? Just saying don't get the 2i2 IF you do!

Dave.

Back