What interface do I need?

colja

I've got a dynacord powermate 1600-3. If I want to record with it, I need an interface. What interface do I need to get? I don't think that I need an interface with any inputs for guitar or microphones, I just need converters. What interface do I need?

Looks like, you get four channels to record to the interface. That means, 4 independent channels to your DAW. You can group your inputs I assume to determine what goes to what channel or select four inputs to four different tracks.

But as mofat stated, you are ready to record as far an in interface goes.

I know that it has a usb port. But 4 chanells is not enough for me. Also, I just want to learn. If I would buy an interface with inputs for guitars and mics, I think it would be useless, since my mixer has 16 chanells. I would like to spend more money on the interface's converters than the inputs for mics and stuff... Are there any interfaces without inputs, and are just converting analog signal to digital?

What do you guys think about behringer uca 202? Just what I need, no mic inputs or guitar inputs, just the converter.

Your mixer does not seem to have direct outs, so you need something else anyway. An interface with A/D conversion from line inputs only is even more expensive than you want to know.

I suggest thinking about a worthy interface for recording. The mixer for live shit. Two totally different things unless you got a bunch of space and a lot of cash.

If you already have the mixer, then you can still learn on it. You can probably plug everything in, then set each input to a channel. If you are playing alone, with the exception of MIDI voice boxes, you will most likely not need more than for "live" inputs.

If you don't own the mixer, get an interface only with more inputs/outputs and mix in the box. Otherwise, you need to go up to a higher level mixer where all of the inputs can be USB channels. Example, https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-AR16-USB. Not saying this should be be one, but something like this.

I just need to know 1 thing. If I plug the uca222 to the mixer, and then the uca to computer, will I be able to record all 16 chanells?

---------- Update ----------

Also, what do you mean by "direct outs"? What are those suppost to do? I think I know what you're talking about but I'm not sure...

I just need to know 1 thing. If I plug the uca222 to the mixer, and then the uca to computer, will I be able to record all 16 chanells?

---------- Update ----------

Also, what do you mean by "direct outs"? What are those suppost to do? I think I know what you're talking about but I'm not sure...

Nope. That is the point. An interface converts analog to digital. Depending on the interface you have? Inputs that will be sent to PC. You must have direct line outs from a mixer in order to separate tracks to an interface. That is not an option for you with this mixer. Forget it. You still need an interface.

Are direct line outs the rec send outs that I would plug the interface to? I'm really confused, since no one said anything like that about this mixer on this forums.

No. In order to use the 16 tracks of a mixer with conversion to digital, the mixer itself would need to have 'direct line outputs' from each channel separately. Then you would still need a interface to do the conversion. The mixer you have is not in any way worthy of use for recording multiple tracks. It is fine for live use but nothing you should try to include in your recording setup. Well, not in a productive/financial way.

Sorry man.

Oooh, now I get it! Thanks for explaining! So basically there is no possible way of recording with my mixer, except with the usb interface which is in the mixer?

From what I can understand without diving deeper, you get 4 outs, analog or USB.

Sounds like you want to experiment with recording via an audio interface that has a good converter. I used to have a Zed12FX which I thought was awesome but I didn't like the built-in usb 1.0 which only records 16 bits and records in stereo only. I tried to connect the main XLR outs to another audio interface. The result was ok but not as good as recording thru the audio interface alone. After trying so many different audio interfaces (M-Audio Profire 2626, Focusrite Forte, Presonus 1818 VSL, Steinberg MR816CSX), I landed on the Universal Audio Apollo which I think has the best converter and the lowest latency. It's hard to let go of your hardware especially a nice once like your Dynacord. I still have my Zed and it's stuffed in the closet. LOL.

Sounds like you want to experiment with recording via an audio interface that has a good converter. I used to have a Zed12FX which I thought was awesome but I didn't like the built-in usb 1.0 which only records 16 bits and records in stereo only. I tried to connect the main XLR outs to another audio interface. The result was ok but not as good as recording thru the audio interface alone. After trying so many different audio interfaces (M-Audio Profire 2626, Focusrite Forte, Presonus 1818 VSL, Steinberg MR816CSX), I landed on the Universal Audio Apollo which I think has the best converter and the lowest latency. It's hard to let go of your hardware especially a nice once like your Dynacord. I still have my Zed and it's stuffed in the closet. LOL.

Damn. So if there's no direct outs on each chanell, I can't record? Even if I have some other interfaces than just the uca222?

Aha! After much digging I have discovered that the mixer has "inserts". These allow (with the right cables) you to pick off signals from individual channels to send to m'track converter such as the A&H ICE.

LOT of faff and a LOT of cables (especially if you want 16 returns!) and still expensive. I would look at the Tascam 20-20 were it me. Dynacord PowerMate 1600-3 | Sound On Sound

That link gives the mixer a pretty good review tho'.

Dave.

Aha! After much digging I have discovered that the mixer has "inserts". These allow (with the right cables) you to pick off signals from individual channels to send to m'track converter such as the A&H ICE.

LOT of faff and a LOT of cables (especially if you want 16 returns!) and still expensive. I would look at the Tascam 20-20 were it me. Dynacord PowerMate 1600-3 | Sound On Sound

That link gives the mixer a pretty good review tho'.

Dave.

I just figured this out as well. I copy pasted it

"Using as DIRECT OUT
When using the insert socket as a DIRECT OUT (Pre EQ), the stereo phone plug’s tip and ring have to be short circuited, so that the audio signal is not interrupted. If you are using a monaural phone plug instead, you will get a DIRECT OUT with breaker function – the signal flow within the channel is interrupted."

So what would I have to do to use these? How do I use direct outs? What do I connect them to? Can I do it with the uca222?

I just figured this out as well. I copy pasted it

"Using as DIRECT OUT
When using the insert socket as a DIRECT OUT (Pre EQ), the stereo phone plug’s tip and ring have to be short circuited, so that the audio signal is not interrupted. If you are using a monaural phone plug instead, you will get a DIRECT OUT with breaker function – the signal flow within the channel is interrupted."

So what would I have to do to use these? How do I use direct outs? What do I connect them to? Can I do it with the uca222?

That extract is just downright confusing. A Direct Out is NOT an insert. D.O's do not disturb the through signal in any way and are often balanced.

To utilize the inserts you will need leads with a TRS jack plug one end (the use of "phono" is also confusing) with tip and ring linked. The other end can be a simple TS jack or whatever is needed to feed the interface.
The link keeps the signal running through the mixer.

Forget the 202/222! They are handy boxes to record TWO ONLY channels from an hi fi rig say but not really up to quality recording.....WHATEVER you do, getting multiple tracks into a PC is going to cost you!

Dave.

That extract is just downright confusing. A Direct Out is NOT an insert. D.O's do not disturb the through signal in any way and are often balanced.

To utilize the inserts you will need leads with a TRS jack plug one end (the use of "phono" is also confusing) with tip and ring linked. The other end can be a simple TS jack or whatever is needed to feed the interface.
The link keeps the signal running through the mixer.

Forget the 202/222! They are handy boxes to record TWO ONLY channels from an hi fi rig say but not really up to quality recording.....WHATEVER you do, getting multiple tracks into a PC is going to cost you!

Dave.

Can you just explain what will happen if I plug the 222 inputs to rec send on my mixer, then the uca's outputs to a pair of active monitors, and the usb to the computer? What will happen? How many chanells would I be able to record? I'm not going to do this, I'm just interested in learning!

Back