What books have you been reading lately?

I think that in Germany, for a very long time, there existed a view about Jewish people that was beyond unhealthy, that was disgusting and that would have remained whether Hitler had risen to power or not. It may not have resulted in the mass deaths that it did, but the attitude long predated the actions that went on to disgust much of the world.
Now, I don't dispute that some people were newly persuaded by the speeches and actions of the Nazis. But for a population to go down that path in the way the Germans did, there needed to be an underlying tinderbox to ignite.
There was definitely anti-Semitism, or actually pro-Aryanism, in Germany. But Hitler was only able to come to the level of power that he had (and convince entire nations to become extremist States) because of the NSDAP's promises of economic stability and German economic sovereignty, which "coincided" nicely with the prevalent Aryan ideology.
The last thing I would want is anyone taking me seriously. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. I don't take anything too seriously.
I have such a short time here it isn't worth it. I will let those of you who are serious take things seriously. I will sit back and have a good laugh.
Unfortunately, two things: 1) yes, opinions are like assholes, and 2) no-one seems to recognize the difference between opinion and objective fact.
I totally agree. He also did some terrible things before WWII. I don't have any awe or respect for Stalin.
Fun fact: Stalin's death count exceeds that of Hitler.

The main problem with these ideologies is that they promote the faulty idea that the Person exists for the benefit of the State, rather than the other way around. And face the truth: the sovereignty of the Person has most recently been forfeited when vaccine/masking mandates were put in place. Dig that y'all.

I think I may have shared this here before. Maybe. Can't remember where I got this piece - but it made a lasting impression on me in more ways than one.

Not directed at anyone in particular. Just food for thought:

The Hitler Experience was made possible as a result of group consciousness. Many people want to say that Hitler manipulated a group—in this case, his countrymen—through the cunning and the mastery of his rhetoric. But this conveniently lays all the blame at Hitler’s feet—which is exactly where the mass of the people want it.

But Hitler could do nothing without the cooperation and support and willing submission of millions of people. The subgroup which called itself Germans must assume an enormous burden of responsibility for the Holocaust. As must, to some degree, the larger group called Humans, which, if it did nothing else, allowed itself to remain indifferent and apathetic to the suffering in Germany until it reached so massive a scale that even the most cold-hearted isolationists could no longer ignore it.

You see, it was collective consciousness which provided fertile soil for the growth of the Nazi movement.

Hitler seized the moment, but he did not create it.

It’s important to understand the lesson here. A group consciousness which speaks constantly of separation and superiority produces loss of compassion on a massive scale, and loss of compassion is inevitably followed by loss of conscience.

A collective concept rooted in strict nationalism ignores the plights of others, yet makes everyone else responsible for yours, thus justifying retaliation, “rectification”, and war.

Auschwitz was the Nazi solution to—an attempt to “rectify”—the “Jewish Problem.”

The horror of the Hitler Experience was not that he perpetrated it on the human race, but that the human race allowed him to. The astonishment is not only that a Hitler came along, but also that so many others went along.

The shame is not only that Hitler killed millions of Jews, but also that millions of Jews had to be killed before Hitler was stopped. The purpose of the Hitler Experience was to show humanity to itself.

Throughout history we have had remarkable teachers, each presenting extraordinary opportunities to remember who we really are. These teachers have shown us the highest and the lowest of the human potential. They have presented vivid, breathtaking examples of what it can mean to be human—of where one can go with the experience, of where the lot of us can and will go, given our consciousness.

The thing to remember: Consciousness is everything, and creates our experience. Group consciousness is powerful and produces outcomes of unspeakable beauty or ugliness. The choice is always ours. If you are not satisfied with the consciousness of your group, seek to change it. The best way to change the consciousness of others is by your example. If your example is not enough, form your own group—you be the source of the consciousness you wish others to experience. They will—when you do. It begins with you. Everything. All things. You want the world to change? Change things in your own world.

Hitler gave us a golden opportunity to do that. The Hitler Experience—like the Christ Experience—is profound in its implications and the truths it revealed to us about us. Yet those larger awarenesses live—in the case of Hitler or Buddha, Genghis Kahn or Hare Krishna, Attila the Hun or Jesus the Christ—only so long as our memories of them live.

That is why Jews build monuments to the Holocaust and ask us never to forget it. For there is a little bit of Hitler in all of us—and it is only a matter of degree.

Wiping out a people is wiping out a people, whether at Auschwitz or Wounded Knee.

Hitler was not sent to us. Hitler was created BY us. He arose out of our collective consciousness, and could not have existed without it. That is the lesson.

The consciousness of separation, segregation, superiority—of “we” versus “they,” of “us” and “them”—is what creates the Hitler Experience.

The consciousness of divine brotherhood, of unity, of oneness, of “ours” rather than “yours”/”mine,” is what creates the Christ Experience.

When the pain is “ours,” not just “yours,” when the joy is “ours,” not just “mine,” when the whole life experience is Ours, then it is at last truly that—a Whole Life experience.

Hitler did nothing “wrong.” Hitler simply did what he did. I remind you again that for many years millions thought he was “right.” How, then, could he help but think so?

If you float out a crazy idea, and ten million people agree with you, you might not think you’re so crazy.

The world decided—finally—that Hitler was “wrong.” That is to say, the world’s people made a new assessment of who they are, and who they chose to be, in relationship to the Hitler Experience.

He held up a yardstick! He set a parameter, a border against which we could measure and limit our ideas about ourselves. Christ did the same thing, at the other end of the spectrum.

There have been other Christs, and other Hitlers. And there will be again. Be ever vigilant, then. For people of both high and low consciousness walk among us – even as we walk among others. Which consciousness do you take with you?

(Hitler)He didn’t think he was doing something “bad.” He actually thought he was helping his people. And that’s what you don’t understand. No one does anything that is “wrong,” given their model of the world. If you think Hitler acted insanely and all the while knew that he was insane, then you understand nothing of the complexity of human experience. Hitler thought he was doing good for his people. And his people thought so, too! That was the insanity of it! The largest part of the nation agreed with him!

We have declared that Hitler was “wrong.” Good. By this measure we have come to define ourselves, know more about ourselves. Good. But don’t condemn Hitler for showing us that.

Someone had to.

I think I may have shared this here before. Maybe. Can't remember where I got this piece - but it made a lasting impression on me in more ways than one.

Not directed at anyone in particular. Just food for thought:

The Hitler Experience was made possible as a result of group consciousness. Many people want to say that Hitler manipulated a group—in this case, his countrymen—through the cunning and the mastery of his rhetoric. But this conveniently lays all the blame at Hitler’s feet—which is exactly where the mass of the people want it.

But Hitler could do nothing without the cooperation and support and willing submission of millions of people. The subgroup which called itself Germans must assume an enormous burden of responsibility for the Holocaust. As must, to some degree, the larger group called Humans, which, if it did nothing else, allowed itself to remain indifferent and apathetic to the suffering in Germany until it reached so massive a scale that even the most cold-hearted isolationists could no longer ignore it.

You see, it was collective consciousness which provided fertile soil for the growth of the Nazi movement.

Hitler seized the moment, but he did not create it.

It’s important to understand the lesson here. A group consciousness which speaks constantly of separation and superiority produces loss of compassion on a massive scale, and loss of compassion is inevitably followed by loss of conscience.

A collective concept rooted in strict nationalism ignores the plights of others, yet makes everyone else responsible for yours, thus justifying retaliation, “rectification”, and war.

Auschwitz was the Nazi solution to—an attempt to “rectify”—the “Jewish Problem.”

The horror of the Hitler Experience was not that he perpetrated it on the human race, but that the human race allowed him to. The astonishment is not only that a Hitler came along, but also that so many others went along.

The shame is not only that Hitler killed millions of Jews, but also that millions of Jews had to be killed before Hitler was stopped. The purpose of the Hitler Experience was to show humanity to itself.

Throughout history we have had remarkable teachers, each presenting extraordinary opportunities to remember who we really are. These teachers have shown us the highest and the lowest of the human potential. They have presented vivid, breathtaking examples of what it can mean to be human—of where one can go with the experience, of where the lot of us can and will go, given our consciousness.

The thing to remember: Consciousness is everything, and creates our experience. Group consciousness is powerful and produces outcomes of unspeakable beauty or ugliness. The choice is always ours. If you are not satisfied with the consciousness of your group, seek to change it. The best way to change the consciousness of others is by your example. If your example is not enough, form your own group—you be the source of the consciousness you wish others to experience. They will—when you do. It begins with you. Everything. All things. You want the world to change? Change things in your own world.

Hitler gave us a golden opportunity to do that. The Hitler Experience—like the Christ Experience—is profound in its implications and the truths it revealed to us about us. Yet those larger awarenesses live—in the case of Hitler or Buddha, Genghis Kahn or Hare Krishna, Attila the Hun or Jesus the Christ—only so long as our memories of them live.

That is why Jews build monuments to the Holocaust and ask us never to forget it. For there is a little bit of Hitler in all of us—and it is only a matter of degree.

Wiping out a people is wiping out a people, whether at Auschwitz or Wounded Knee.

Hitler was not sent to us. Hitler was created BY us. He arose out of our collective consciousness, and could not have existed without it. That is the lesson.

The consciousness of separation, segregation, superiority—of “we” versus “they,” of “us” and “them”—is what creates the Hitler Experience.

The consciousness of divine brotherhood, of unity, of oneness, of “ours” rather than “yours”/”mine,” is what creates the Christ Experience.

When the pain is “ours,” not just “yours,” when the joy is “ours,” not just “mine,” when the whole life experience is Ours, then it is at last truly that—a Whole Life experience.

Hitler did nothing “wrong.” Hitler simply did what he did. I remind you again that for many years millions thought he was “right.” How, then, could he help but think so?

If you float out a crazy idea, and ten million people agree with you, you might not think you’re so crazy.

The world decided—finally—that Hitler was “wrong.” That is to say, the world’s people made a new assessment of who they are, and who they chose to be, in relationship to the Hitler Experience.

He held up a yardstick! He set a parameter, a border against which we could measure and limit our ideas about ourselves. Christ did the same thing, at the other end of the spectrum.

There have been other Christs, and other Hitlers. And there will be again. Be ever vigilant, then. For people of both high and low consciousness walk among us – even as we walk among others. Which consciousness do you take with you?

(Hitler)He didn’t think he was doing something “bad.” He actually thought he was helping his people. And that’s what you don’t understand. No one does anything that is “wrong,” given their model of the world. If you think Hitler acted insanely and all the while knew that he was insane, then you understand nothing of the complexity of human experience. Hitler thought he was doing good for his people. And his people thought so, too! That was the insanity of it! The largest part of the nation agreed with him!

We have declared that Hitler was “wrong.” Good. By this measure we have come to define ourselves, know more about ourselves. Good. But don’t condemn Hitler for showing us that.

Someone had to.
A lot of that I agree with, much of it I don't agree with.
It's a very well-written essay with plenty of said "food for thought".

Anyway, back on topic, "I ran with the gang" by Alan Longmuir was a really good book. Considering it was the autobiography of the founder of the Bay City Rollers, it had some really sickeningly dark parts. But Alan also possessed a keen sense of humour and many of his recollections were insightful and eye-opening.
Right now I'm reading "Bathed in Lightning" by Colin Harper. It's basically about John McLaughlin and how the scene in London from the start of the 60s through to the end of it was his important forcing chamber. 128 pages in, and it's been a brilliant book so far.

Anyway, back on topic, "I ran with the gang" by Alan Longmuir was a really good book. Considering it was the autobiography of the founder of the Bay City Rollers, it had some really sickeningly dark parts. But Alan also possessed a keen sense of humour and many of his recollections were insightful and eye-opening.
Right now I'm reading "Bathed in Lightning" by Colin Harper. It's basically about John McLaughlin and how the scene in London from the start of the 60s through to the end of it was his important forcing chamber. 128 pages in, and it's been a brilliant book so far.
I'm surprised this thread even went beyond the Godwin Principle's fulfilment ;)

I'm currently reading The Song of the Cid (for school).

Unfortunately, two things: 1) yes, opinions are like assholes, and 2) no-one seems to recognize the difference between opinion and objective fact.
Unfortunately, everyones "facts" seem to be subjective these days.

Unfortunately, everyones "facts" seem to be subjective these days.
True. I say we need someone like Jordan Peterson to join HR hahaha. His presence might be useful in some threads :)

I just started "The Strange Case of Mister Pelham" by Anthony Armstrong. I put on my checkout list, forgot all about it, bought another and saw it on the list
so I ordered it. I forget what it was about, but I am about to find out.
This is where I buy all my books by the way. I can't find them any cheaper anywhere else.

I just started "The Strange Case of Mister Pelham" by Anthony Armstrong. I put on my checkout list, forgot all about it, bought another and saw it on the list
so I ordered it. I forget what it was about, but I am about to find out.
This is where I buy all my books by the way. I can't find them any cheaper anywhere else.
+1 for AbeBooks!

+1 for AbeBooks!
I like AbeBooks. I also like Goodreads and World of books. To be fair, eBay and Amazon are also pretty good, plus a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. I tend to be guided more by availability than price. Also, although a book may be much cheaper on one site, by the time postage is factored in, it often turns out more expensive than one that seemed more expensive at first glance.

Mailing media, such as books via USPS is highly discounted. When mailing guitar parts I make sure they don't rattle and tell the
USPS they are CDs I am mailing, pretty cheap. So what, I cheated I lied. "If you're not cheating you're not trying hard enough."
Now to my real point. Books I buy for reading pleasure I usually donate to the local library when finished. I could just as easily mail
them to anyone in this thread who might be interested in any of the books I have just finished. Some I keep but it is rare. The shipping
cost wouldn't be much more than what I pay for books, usually less.
Carry on men.

I like AbeBooks. I also like Goodreads and World of books. To be fair, eBay and Amazon are also pretty good, plus a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. I tend to be guided more by availability than price. Also, although a book may be much cheaper on one site, by the time postage is factored in, it often turns out more expensive than one that seemed more expensive at first glance.
There was only one book I searched on abes that I couldn't find but found elsewhere. Some out of print books I either can't find or are too expensive for my fixed income, but that is to be expected. I have yet to find any book I have been looking for on Amazon or Ebay cheaper than Abes. Of course that is subjective to the search criteria one is using. When searching for books, the best use I can find for Ebay is other books relating to the subject at hand that I wasn't aware of that I can then search out elsewhere. Next time I order I will have to check out the other sites you mentioned.

I just finished re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - first read that as a teenager.

Now I'm starting a re-read of Sapiens after having read that when it was released. Interesting material - thought I'd soak that in one more time.

Both highly recommended.

I have been listening to audiobooks lately. I read Olaf Stapldons "Last and First Men" and "Starmaker" as a teenager so I
listened to the audio book instead of reading them over again.

I keep buying books and I can't keep up with them. The latest I am reading is "The Man in the Ice" about the 5000 year old man they found in an Austrian glacier in the 90s

Back