What books have you been reading lately?

I don't have a TV and haven't watched TV since at least 1988 and didn't watch much for years before that. I kind of gave up on the radio
around 1978. I don't carry a cell phone. That leaves me with reading. I dropped out of high school and almost everything I know is from reading.
I had to hit the books for the math for my job. There was one point in my life where I was reading next to nothing but technical manuals for three
years. That was fun!

I only read technical books, about a subject that I want to know.
There is a free university level education to be had on the internet.

I only read technical books, about a subject that I want to know.
There is a free university level education to be had on the internet.
I am talking about manuals on lasers, mills, lathes, studio software, studio equipment, CNC programming, CAD, CAM, ISO 9000, JIT Inspection procedures, etc. not including the machinist handbook, metallurgy, geometry, algebra and trigonometry I had to catch up on. Not something I wanted to do, something I had to do

I am talking about manuals on lasers, mills, lathes, studio software, studio equipment, CNC programming, CAD, CAM, ISO 9000, JIT Inspection procedures, etc. not including the machinist handbook, metallurgy, geometry, algebra and trigonometry I had to catch up on. Not something I wanted to do, something I had to do
Obviously you read and absorbed what you read leading you toward a productive career.
I deem that as a success.

Well I've been on a WWII kick lately. I'm a little over half way through D-DAY by Stephen E. Ambrose. Over 700 pages of "can't put it down" in depth writing. This stuff fascinates me. Also read some of the Band of Brothers books and some of The Pacific books.

There isn't really such a thing as a follower of Christ that isn't a convert.
Wouldn't it also hold true that Hitler convinced enough of the German population to adapt themselves and be willing to become participants in his insanity?
Far too many Germans were converted to agree with the Hitler.
Converts

Wouldn't it also hold true that Hitler convinced enough of the German population to adapt themselves and be willing to become participants in his insanity?
Far too many Germans were converted to agree with the Hitler
I have long felt that one of the principal reasons Hitler was able to get where he did and as far as he did was that a significant percentage {whether it was a genuine majority, I can't say} of the German population held many of the same sentiments that he did. To a lesser degree in many cases, perhaps. But it was there and as I said to you in a different thread a few weeks back {when we were discussing Martin Luther}, it had been gathering ground for centuries. It didn't just appear because Adolf was persuasive.
Conversion in and of itself is, like many other things that we can get absolute about, is entirely neutral.

I have long felt that one of the principal reasons Hitler was able to get where he did and as far as he did was that a significant percentage {whether it was a genuine majority, I can't say} of the German population held many of the same sentiments that he did. To a lesser degree in many cases, perhaps. But it was there and as I said to you in a different thread a few weeks back {when we were discussing Martin Luther}, it had been gathering ground for centuries. It didn't just appear because Adolf was persuasive.
Conversion in and of itself is, like many other things that we can get absolute about, is entirely neutral.
I disagree to a degree with both of you.

@60's guy: at least as far as you let on in your statement. It's a bit blurry to me, could you clarify?

@grimtraveller: When a radical politico-social movement engulfs, the correct term for what you call "conversion" is actually "peer pressure". Whereas religious conversion -- in the case of Christianity, of which the beginnings were far from political especially when compared to other religions -- is an informed choice, today more than ever.

I don't believe that peer pressure was in much evidence in Germany. For some centuries, a decidedly anti-Jewish feeling had been building there. Luther didn't necessarily begin it, but he lent it some kudos and credence. It's not only in Germany that this was the case, there was anti-Semitism in quite a bit of Europe. By the time we get to Hitler, he gave voice to what a lot of people were thinking and combined with the 'victim', "woe is me !" mentality that was gaining ground in Germany after the Treaty of Versailles, the effect was powerful.
I didn't call what happened in Germany conversion ~ 60's Guy did. But even if most German's had been converted, conversion in itself is neutral.

SER=188950]@60's guy[/USER]: at least as far as you let on in your statement. It's a bit blurry to me, could you clarify?
There's nothing blurry about what I posted.
Grim posted....
"There isn't really such a thing as a follower of Christ that isn't a convert.
I suggested it that that the majority of Germans fell in line with Hitler's insanity.
Converts

Grim,
You're intelligent etc etc.
You're wasting your time here at HR.
Compile all of the posts you have made concerning your transition from atheism to Christianity. Collate every word you have posted. It all amounts to a book you should write.

I didn't call what happened in Germany conversion ~ 60's Guy did. But even if most German's had been converted, conversion in itself is neutral.
"There isn't really such a thing as a follower of Christ that isn't a convert."

Your words. Not mine. Splitting hairs?

Go write your book about how enlightened you are with your newly discovered Christianity.

Write your book. Explain why you think that "even if most Germans had been converted to think like like Hitler that the conversion (mindset) was somehow neutral? The extermination of 12 million Jewish men, women, and children wasn't neutral.

Stalin did much worse post WWII. On the upside....Churchill didn't kill millions of people. Lucky you.

There's nothing blurry about what I posted
To you, obviously. Two of us didn't feel that way. All that was being asked for was some clarity.
You're intelligent etc etc.
Hey, don't do a Smithers on me !
You're wasting your time here at HR
Well, if I am, it's my time to waste.
Compile all of the posts you have made concerning your transition from atheism to Christianity. Collate every word you have posted. It all amounts to a book you should write
Now, would I be being somewhat paranoid if I were to say that I detected an edge in that statement ?
If you have a problem in me sharing my experience when backing up what I may say that helps explain an opinion I might opine, well there's little I can do about that.
There's quite a bit you can do about it though.
"There isn't really such a thing as a follower of Christ that isn't a convert."

Your words. Not mine. Splitting hairs?
At the risk of incurring your displeasure, all my great intelligence that causes me to be wasting my time on a music recording forum ain't helping me.
I don't know what point you are making here.
Go write your book about how enlightened you are with your newly discovered Christianity
Ouch ! 😉
And it was discovered in 1985. It's not new and I'm not in the first flushes of some loin-stirring lurrrrrve.
Write your book. Explain why you think that "even if most Germans had been converted to think like like Hitler that the conversion (mindset) was somehow neutral? The extermination of 12 million Jewish men, women, and children wasn't neutral
Once again, you're talking in semi-riddles. I haven't a clue what you're going on about.
Let's try again.
Conversion, in and of itself {I've made that point twice before} is neutral. Not the actions that may follow the conversion, not any mindsets that may be adopted once a conversion has taken place.
I think that in Germany, for a very long time, there existed a view about Jewish people that was beyond unhealthy, that was disgusting and that would have remained whether Hitler had risen to power or not. It may not have resulted in the mass deaths that it did, but the attitude long predated the actions that went on to disgust much of the world.
Now, I don't dispute that some people were newly persuaded by the speeches and actions of the Nazis. But for a population to go down that path in the way the Germans did, there needed to be an underlying tinderbox to ignite.
And there was.
If you disagree with that, that's OK. I don't have a problem with that. But I back up what I say and like in the thread we were talking about Luther, I showed that it went at least as far back as his time.
Thus far, you haven't been clear about your point about 'conversion'.
Stalin did much worse post WWII
I totally agree. He also did some terrible things before WWII. I don't have any awe or respect for Stalin.

You lost your ability to be taken seriously last month. Maybe even two months ago.
The last thing I would want is anyone taking me seriously. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. I don't take anything too seriously.
I have such a short time here it isn't worth it. I will let those of you who are serious take things seriously. I will sit back and have a good laugh.

Back