What are your plans for New Year's Eve?

ido1957

9K Gold Member
I'm on call 24/7 so as usual I'm staying home. There is a novel thing going on at the River Cree Resort a few miles from here though.
They have the band "Fab Four" playing two shows - one at 6pm (for us old folks maybe?) and another show at 10pm (for the true revelers?) I couldn't help but think a) great idea for the older crowd and b) that band's going to blow out their voices lol....

BBQ @ GF's apartment, then we wander / ride down to the nearest fireworks vantage point for the midnight show, then wander / ride back... :)

Got a sound gig In Newport, RI with a pretty good band. The positive: Lots of chicks shaking their asses when these guys play, they pay me very well (like almost as much as my whole band gets paid) and they are a great group of guys and gal.

The negatives: It's New Years Eve and I hate being out on that night, they play music I can't stand and Newport and my entire ride home will be crawling with cops waiting to make a DUI stop. Thankfully I don't drink much these days.

Stayed home last year (too frigging cold), assuming the weather continues here the way it has been (50s in the day, no lower than high 20s at night) we're heading into Boston during the day for 'First Night' stuff, early fireworks and parade, but head home before midnight to beat the crazies.

Hey Mike, I was just up your way yesterday; well I'm assuming you're near Lowell if not in Lowell. I dropped a Bouzouki off for repair. Are you near Rogers St in Lowell? There's a Greek luthier that makes/fixes oudes, bouzouki's, lute's as well as standard guitars and almost anything else (I saw stand up basses, violins and some other stuff I didn't know the names of).

The Bouzouki in question:
Bouzouki001.jpg

Hey Mike, I was just up your way yesterday; well I'm assuming you're near Lowell if not in Lowell. I dropped a Bouzouki off for repair. Are you near Rogers St in Lowell? There's a Greek luthier that makes/fixes oudes, bouzouki's, lute's as well as standard guitars and almost anything else (I saw stand up basses, violins and some other stuff I didn't know the names of).

I'm about 7 miles from Lowell. Does the guy sell instruments, or just fix them?

Take the Christmas crap down New Year's day.

You had to remind me ....:rolleyes:

I leave the roads to the drunks. I'll stay home, work on music, wake my wife at midnight for the traditional New Year's kiss and well wishes, then go to bed myself. Party animals, we are.

This will be the first year in MANY years that I don't have a gig or I'm not on call. How the hell did that happen? Think I'll go to bed around 7:30 or so.
Party on.

I stopped doing sound or gigging for New Years a few years ago - I always seemed to get the last minute call when someone else backed out and the First Night crew needed an emergency PA. And they had a budget! Nearly a hundred dollars for about six hours of load in, babysit four acts all night, load out and get home at 3 AM. Hey, I can have more fun getting sick in a ditch. :facepalm:

I'm about 7 miles from Lowell. Does the guy sell instruments, or just fix them?

He doesn't have new instruments, repairs mostly but he also makes custom instruments. Including standard acoustics. He has one on the wall he made for his kid that he let me play. Very nice sounding, beautiful inlayed guitar. It's called Spartan Instruments on Rogers St right off the highway. When I go back in February to pick up my bouzouki, I'll get a pic of the acoustic.

He doesn't have new instruments, repairs mostly but he also makes custom instruments. Including standard acoustics. He has one on the wall he made for his kid that he let me play. Very nice sounding, beautiful inlayed guitar. It's called Spartan Instruments on Rogers St right off the highway. When I go back in February to pick up my bouzouki, I'll get a pic of the acoustic.

I'll check it out some time when I'm down on that side of Lowell.

So got around to checking out the schedule for Boston's First Night. WTF? been a couple of years since I was there last, they got rid of 90% of the things once could see/hear (with a $10 'button'). Got rid of the buttons, but now there's precious little to walk around and do.

What happened to twelfth night, Grinchi?:D

Not that I can talk, I'm going 9th night myself so I don't have to do it all myself.:thumbs up:

I'm gonna wait until tomorrow, too lethargic today. But hey, I found out my wife did puke, so yeah, we've got a winner. That's my girl!!!

I've been fixing up my laundry room over the Christmas break, so I was up at 5 and working by 7 am (had to wait until my daughter got up as the room is next to hers).
Taping and mudding today, then patching those damn holes that happen when you take up the old carpet tack thing. The tube of concrete filler was frustrating to work with - nothing like drywall mud. The holes were pretty big, and it doesn't play well with those. It looks ok but maybe paint will cover up my sloppy work. Drywall sucks because you have to wait for the mud to dry, so what could be done in a day takes 3.
And my lower back hurts like $%^&* ...

Back