What are your feelings in regards to

Buyin Used Mics

• Have Purchased Used Mics.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Have Not Purchased Used Mics.

Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Have Purchased Used Mics & Would Do It Again.

Votes: 62 62.6%
  • Have Purchased Used Mics & Got Burnt. Would Not Do It Again.

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

Slaytallica

Buying used mic's? Ebay, Craigs List or just in a store? Also factory refurbished mics. Has anyone here invested in buying higher end mics that were used to save a few hundred dollars? Just wondering because I've seen some very nice mic's on Ebay and other sites but I'm a little worried as to what they will sound like or if they will work at all once received from the seller. If yes, were you happy with the results or did you get burned?

Reactions: SRR
Lots of folks here comb those sources to great success. KidVybes just scored a Royed mod MXL for a bit over $200 on ebay, and Harvery Gerst has stated frequently how he has great success with used mics. For myself, I recently won a SP T3 on ebay for $250 which is so sweet I am in awe of how my 1935 acoustic archtop sounds mic'd with it. The CAD M179 I recently won on ebay was a deal as well.

It's always a gamble, but ask the seller questions and you should be able to get a good sense of whether the gear was taken care of or not.

Good luck,

h1pst3r

I've bought a ton of mics used on ebay. Just wipe them down with alcohol if you're going to use it as a vocal mic!!!

I got a used Beyer M201 off of eBay, and it's in great shape. You need to check out the seller's feedback, and email questions before bidding if you're concerned about anything. But I'd do it again, espcially if I come across a CAD E300!!

I have had good luck buying used mics. You can get some great deals if you look hard enough.

I've done it many times with dynamics ... with condensers I might be a bit more wary because they're so much more delicate and fragile.

I've purchased a number of used mics from e-bay and the classified ads on this site and have never had a problem. I'm cautious about who I buy from, though, and always check out the user feedback on e-bay (& the "Good Guys" list here). I try to buy from "smoke free" users, because getting that ashtray smell out is a pain.

I've bought used many times. I probably would not buy a used ribbon, though, without a generous return policy.

I've bought close to 100 mics, almost all used (all but 7 I think) and the vast majority off of e-bay (there's another survey here where people have listed their mic collections and mine are listed there - at least as of the date of the survey). I have only had one instance where the mic I received was not working properly -- it was working, but not great. Not bad odds. All the usual e-bay caveats apply. Do your due diligence. Ribbons are more fragile, but all the ribbons I have bought off of e-bay work fine. I think used mics are a great way to build a mic cabinet and save some $$$ in the process.

I bought 3 Shure Unisphere B's, 1 Shure Unisphere A, one strange condenser type Teledyne, and a bunch of cords in one auction on ebay. I got 75% of the deal. The person had no idea if they worked or not, but all 3 unisphere B's worked, the Unisphere A uses a screw-on cord (its a very old mic) and I haven't got a chance to buy one from Oak Tree, the Teledyne didn't work, and NONE of the cords (except for a 1/4" extension cable and a 6" patch cord) worked.

I've purchased a handful of used mics from eBay, all dynamics (including a EV 635 for $30 :)). I haven't had a problem with any of them. I almost had a problem with a seller, though, despite the high feedback rating. The seller didn't accept PayPal so I paid with a money order, and the post office, for some reason, took nearly two weeks to deliver it (from Ohio to Florida) so I got slapped with a Non Paying Bidder tag and had several less-than-friendly email exchanges with the seller before my MO finally arrived. From there, though, it wasn't a problem.

Never had a problem with a mic not working though, and I would definitely buy used mics again. I wish I had the money to go after the pair of CAD e200s that went for like $200 a couple days ago.

Here's a question for posters from the US. I frequently see German mics like Beyers and Sennheisers on eBay that seem like good deals, but the sellers are located in Germany or the Netherlands or other countries in that area. Anyone from the US ever buy from one of these sellers? They generally have excellent feedback ratings, but I'm still wary of buying internationally. Any advice?

I bought a Sennheiser MD541 from a seller in Germany a couple years ago. Went off without a hitch. I also bought 4 Sennheiser e845s from a seller in the UK. No problems there either. Mics arrived within a week. Shipping costs are higher so you do have to factor that into your deal. I do notice that the prices from some of the German sellers - especially on BIN -- are not necessarily that great of a deal in some cases.

Reactions: SRR
I'm always looking for bargains. I've purchased used mics, B-Stock mics, clearance mics, grey-market mics, manufacturer warehouse sale mics (I happen to live near Audio Technica), and even a few new ones at regular price <g>. I've purchased mics where I had to make up my own cables to match their connectors (something other than 3-pin XLR, obviously).

I've never purchased a mic that didn't work perfectly right from the start. The only exception is one of the AT warehouse mics that has developed an intermittent failure. But even that happened after I'd owned the mic for a year or more.

I have always purchased new but that's because I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm also leary of ebay purchases so I have a hard time buying there even though I know I miss out on some great deals, Dave.

ZD amps said:
I bought 3 Shure Unisphere B's, 1 Shure Unisphere A, one strange condenser type Teledyne, and a bunch of cords in one auction on ebay. I got 75% of the deal. The person had no idea if they worked or not, but all 3 unisphere B's worked, the Unisphere A uses a screw-on cord (its a very old mic) and I haven't got a chance to buy one from Oak Tree, the Teledyne didn't work, and NONE of the cords (except for a 1/4" extension cable and a 6" patch cord) worked.

So do you feel like you were burned, or did you figure "that's the way it goes"? I'd personally be leary of an eBay purchase where the seller didn't know if any of the items worked properly. I guess it's a crap shoot where that is concerned.

Actually, virtually all my gear has been purchased used. And most of the new stuff was purchased on blow-out sales. I've had way more issues with buying used cameras than I have ever had with used audio gear. A little due diligence goes a long way though. I've got a Drawmer 1968 coming that was just purchased off the Gearslutz board. I've seen the seller participate for years there and he has a studio, website, etc. I called him up to chat and we got the deal done. Payment by paypal. Shipping to my office. The price was right.

It can be interesting. I bought a lunchbox and an API 550b off the Gearslutz board from a guy whose discography includes engineering and producing Jackson Brown, Bonnie Raitt, Melissa Ethridge, Little Feat among many others. I wasn't particularly wondering about whether I was going to get the box and whether it worked, rather I was wondering about who might have played through it. :D

Based on the condition that I treat a mic, everyone that has bought one from me thinks that it is new except for the price. I have and will continue to buy used mic's whenever possible.

Back