What are the Chances?

So am I, but I'm not the bicycle etiquette police so I'm not going to chase these jerks down and tell them how embarrassed I am about their behavior.

Your logic states that the program, is, in your estimation, a failure because it has not resulted in cyclists being banned from sharing the road with motorists. In a transportation context, the paths allotted for cyclists have to go somewhere, not just be pretty paved portions of park. The beautiful Santa Ana River Bike Trail pretty much bisects the County, but it can't take you where it doesn't go. That "last mile or 20" demands the shared use of ordinary roads.

Basically segregation is an improvement, not a panacea. Those who expect the latter will always believe that the idea has failed.

No, my logic is thati iti s not high on the list of civic priorities. I'm a sports coach and see zero funding coming to sport. I'm an educationalist and I see zero investment in libraries, I'm musician and I see zero investment in opportunities to participate there either. Except on all counts privately funded investment which by it's very nature demands a visible return on their investment.

In an ideal world all those and cycle ways and bridleways and public footpaths and playing fields would be publicly funded and available. They all have good arguments. In the end it costs money and Joe Normal hates to see his tax bill go up. It's the legacy of 90's generation. It's not a party political thing either, all parties have to judge and balance the load and pass that on to those that plan and invest the public purse. I really don't see cycleways as a special case. Personally I like to see the majority of my tax donation go to those that benefit the most or are in greatest need. Others view it differently.

It's a win even for those who never use it.

There are 32 miles of this clean asphalt strip between the Beach and Riverside County:

I don't know anybody that claims that they are offended by the cost of Freeways when they are empty. I certainly don't mind if people choose to stay off the roads entirely. :D

BikeTrailM065_zpsr7zrpp52.jpg

That looks lethal.

All those bikes wheel to wheel.;)
It's the park-like atmosphere that creates the problems. People forget that they are on a road at all and become oblivious to other people using the facilities.

But I agree with your fiscal approach. It would be a waste of money to hide the park-like aspects of the trail to prevent accidents. Asking people to simply pay attention is a better plan.

Back