Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Pro Actives have arrived.

my setup: I connected my Lynxtwo D/A directly to the speaker using the A-Design Passive Line attenuator as my volume control.

My First Impression:

They Seem to be brutally honest at least more so then my previous speakers Yorkville passives powered by samson servo, the Image seems great haven't tried a mix yet though just played back some of my older mixes.

I can't wait to hear "Can't stop" by MJ on this thing instrumental placement on that son is amazing IMO

The blue light is sick and the smooth finish on it is sweet too.

To other Wharfdale users what is the optimal volume setting on these things? When they came out the box it was at 12 O clock would it be better if I cranked the volume all the way up?

Thanks

Teacher said:
just by playing music on them for an extended period of time

If you ordered them from deepwater it might take a while...it took mine 2 weeks to get here and the fed ex tracking info still doesn't say delivered :mad: , but maybe deepwater fixed the problems he was having

The problem I had was that I had about 6 pair that where damaged when Wharfedale shipped them to me. So I had to get 6 replacements sent out which added a week on to a few orders. I do have plenty of stock now and orders a shipping fast. Also visit my website www.deepwateraudio.com and email me for a better price at prosound@bellsouth.net

Teacher said:
To other Wharfdale users what is the optimal volume setting on these things? When they came out the box it was at 12 O clock would it be better if I cranked the volume all the way up?
Hmmm, I don't know. I run mine directly from my Layla, and have no attenuator, so I keep mine set at about 9 o'clock, which is plently loud. I've been looking for some sort of volume control to put between the Layla and Wharfeys (considered the Big Knob, but it's too expensive for my needs), and that A-Design thing just might be what I want. Thanks, and sorry I didn't really answer you question!

EDITED TO ADD: Well, I can't seem to find that A-Design attenuator anywhere. Who sells it? Also I came across the Violet Audio M-Patch Passive Monitor Control Station, but at just $99 could it be all that good?

Last edited:
www.frontendaudio.com sells them for 90 bucks thats the best deal i've found. Big Names rave about its transparency and I ain't complaining either :D

I'm interested in that Violet thing to...if its completely passive who knows it might actually be good...

can you show me where you found it? Does it have a headphone amp?

so its not a good idea to use speaker cables?? why not? also, what is the right placement of the speakers, i have both of the speakers aimed at my face. is this okay? also what is the different with balances or unbalanced, how much will this affect my sound. is a balanced cable usually an XLR plug? is that the only kind of balanced cable or is there balanced cable that is a TRS.

Last edited:
I've had mine for about 2 months and I think they are AWESOME! Deepwater gave me a great deal, and I'm very happy with my purchase. And they're pretty friggin' loud too! :D I was cranking them up the other day, and it sounded great. My ears were ringing. :D

Plus...the blue lights rule!

:cool: :cool:

ROb

Had mine for a few months now and I think they've finaly bedded in. I thought the higs were a bit brittle when they came out the box. I doubt there is or ever will be nearfields in this price bracket that can come anywhere colse to these puppys. I wouldn't trade mine for naked ladies :D

Hi, I'm Jonas, new to the forum.

Has anyone compared the Wharfedales (8.2 actives) to the Tannoy Reveals or similar? I have the Passives with a Samson Servo amp.

I was wondering if it would be a considerable upgrade for me to get the 8.2 actives as I feel that the Reveals aren't as revealing as I'd wish for anymore.

Thanks,
Jonas

I'd like to thank deepwater as well. My 8.2As just (i mean just!) got here!

And first of all... they LOOK SO COOL! Its too bad my auralex mopads cover up that cool blue light tho. ;)

So far they sound amazing I'm going to leave a bunch of music running on them when I go to work. Ah... LOTR ROTK sound so BEEFY on these :D.

Thanks for the fast shipping--looks like they got here in tact and everything.

now i have to get some good cables besides these crappy RCA lol...

photoresistor said:
And first of all... they LOOK SO COOL! Its too bad my auralex mopads cover up that cool blue light tho. ;)

I feel your pain I was so dissappointed :(

but its really crazy how much my mixes have improved after these things came along. Look ma my mixes almost sound like a record :rolleyes:

mishagolin said:
or even compare them to the Tannoy System 600A's.

KRK V6? Mackie HR624?

are these higher end monitors that much of an improvement over the 8.2 actives?

If it gets MUCH better then these for a few hundred more let me at them. These things improved the translation of my highs and mids tremendously.

To all you pros out there, I know I'm probably not going to get a very impartial answer to my question from you wharfedale fans... butttttt... I been on the market for a pair of active monitors, and I've found that for 30 bucks more than what most people have paid for the 8.2's... I can get the Truth's with the 8 inch cone. And I know that obviously size isn't the only factor in a great monitor, but for the kind of music I'm working with (hip-hop mostly)... getting the most accurate lows are important to me. Have any of you guys compared the two?.. How do the wharfedales stack up on the low end???

scarboro78 said:
To all you pros out there, I know I'm probably not going to get a very impartial answer to my question from you wharfedale fans... butttttt... I been on the market for a pair of active monitors, and I've found that for 30 bucks more than what most people have paid for the 8.2's... I can get the Truth's with the 8 inch cone. And I know that obviously size isn't the only factor in a great monitor, but for the kind of music I'm working with (hip-hop mostly)... getting the most accurate lows are important to me. Have any of you guys compared the two?.. How do the wharfedales stack up on the low end???

The wharfies are tight and punchy on the bottom compared to the *TRUTHS* (why were they ever given that name?) which are made by <cringe> Behringer

I A/B'd my wharfies with Truths, Tanoy reveals and a pair of Yamies, the wharfies won hands down

Teacher - Well, I finally had time to hook up the M-Patch to my Wharfedale's and I love it. It's actually by SM Pro Audio (don't know where zZounds got Violet Audio from). But it is well built and has a couple of features that are perfect for my set-up. It has a mute button and a mono button. It also came with a couple of XLR female to TRS female adapters, a fact not mentioned on the box. It also came with rack ears that look pretty cheap. I'm just using mine on the table top. The main input is XLR, while the aux input can be either RCA or 1/8" TRS. I've now got the Wharfedale's set at 12 o'clock, and I can really crank 'em if I need to.

Last edited:
You won't regret it. A friend of mine decided to get a pair for his AVID system based on listening to mine.

Back