Weird response to a question I had on eBay

Easto

I was interested in bidding on a Fender combo cabinet that someone was selling. All the tolex was removed from it and it was basically a bare shell with a lot of the tolex glue still on the wood etc (it was described in the ad as such). So I sent this question out.

Me: "Ok, I'll bite... I wouldn't mind this for a project I'm planning. What are we talking for shipping to Zip Code 90808? Since it's already pretty hacked up I don't think it will need a ton of packing."

Seller: "I am not charging for packaging. I am only charging folks for the exact shipping cost. I already have boxes a stuff, so there is no hidden charges. However I don't feel abliged to cater to smartasses so perhaps you should bite somewhere else."

Smartass? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's anything in my question that would trigger a response like that(?). Did I miss something here? I have a 100% positive feedback on eBay and feel that I always act in a professional manner.

Hey, I speak smartass, and that does not translate into smartass as far as I am concerned.

you gave your zip, and indicated you would not expect a 100 dollar pack job, i don't get it either.

he probably took offense to the fact you said it was hacked up and its like you dissing his gear? idk just a thought.

dragonworks said:
I think it was the I'll bite, he, thinking you were questioning his integrity as to it being a Fender.

Actually what I meant by the "I'll bite" was that it had been sitting there on ebay for about 5 days and no one had bid on it yet.

Easto said:
Actually what I meant by the "I'll bite" was that it had been sitting there on ebay for about 5 days and no one had bid on it yet.
We know what you meant by it, but obviously he didn't. You also have to consider cross-cultural lines where slang that seems perfectly normal to us either doesn't make sense or is insulting to someone else.

sile2001 said:
We know what you meant by it, but obviously he didn't. You also have to consider cross-cultural lines where slang that seems perfectly normal to us either doesn't make sense or is insulting to someone else.

Good point. I once used the three letter abbreviation for Japanese on the talkbass forum (it's a completely non derogatory word here in the UK) and got moderated for racism! :eek:

Look at it this way........

You found out the seller is an idiot BEFORE you sent him $$$ and had to deal with his bullshit afterwards.

He did you a huge favor.

c7sus said:
Look at it this way........

You found out the seller is an idiot BEFORE you sent him $$$ and had to deal with his bullshit afterwards.

He did you a huge favor.

You're telling me. I really don't want to make this a big deal, and I'm not. It's just that it seems so way over the top I had to mention it.

Also... this guy and I had a bit of an email exchange. I was politely asking him why so rude. Here's the latest excerpt (Oh yeah, he's dissing you guys here as immature) lol.

Me: I’m sorry but I really don't understand your response?? I've read my question over several times and I have no idea why it would trigger such a response. For the record, I will not be bidding on this item.

Him: Then perhaps you should have someone else read it. It is very rude.

Me: I did... (with a link to this thread)

Him: I meant, ask a grown-up.

i think it was the ill bite thing...he may have misunderstood..and dont forget that sellers have access to the number of ppl that are watching the item...so no bids doesnt mean a thing really.. ;)

actually, i get pretty pissed when something i really need has a ton of bids with 3 or 5 days to go, idd like to meet the guy that told everyone to inflate the prices and atract more morons to do the same with 4 or 5 days to go on an auction, feckin idiots - pardon my french.

the "already pretty hacked" comment probably gave him a stomach burn as well...

Easto said:
Me: I’m sorry but I really don't understand your response?? I've read my question over several times and I have no idea why it would trigger such a response. For the record, I will not be bidding on this item.

Him: Then perhaps you should have someone else read it. It is very rude.

Me: I did... (with a link to this thread)

Him: I meant, ask a grown-up.
Well if you're reading this now, Mr. eBay vendor, you're a fuckhead! Misinterpret THAT! :D :D :D

The seller is obviously a jerkoff in real life so he is probably fed up with people giving him attitude all the time so now he thinks everyone is giving him attidude even when you werent.

he was probably home schooled.

Guess I'm wondering why anyone would piece out an amp like that to begin with...why not sell it complete with the chassis??

The guy seems a little over sensitive to me.....lol

Joining the smartass club here

mjareo said:
Perhaps the funniest part to me is that a question that offended him is now in his item description. :)

As a former smartass chapter leader, I would suggest that anyone selling vintage firewood like that with a straight face deserves a vintage kick in the nuts :cool:

btw- what is "rep power"? (and no smartass answers) LOL

I'd never buy from him. What a fucking prick. To be honest your question was phrased a little obnoxioulsy. You coukd have simply asked...."What will shipping be to Zip code ------" and left it at that however I don't think you were being a smart ass and your question did'nt warrant that response. I sent him a message and told him so myself.

My guess

He is some 13 year old who was offended by your "hacked up" comment. I like that he posted the comment on the auction for all to see, nice touch.

Back