Want to take a fun voice acting challenge?

Mistral

RyosaMusic
Hey everyone.

I felt the mp3 forum was the most appropriate place to post this, since I am going to give everyone a chance to post their own mp3 demos for myself and all of you to hear.

I am currently producing an animated show, that will first appear on the internet, and then be produced for television, dvd etc. Its style is anime with dark/mature themes - not meaning foul language or sexual content, but meaning it deals with some serious things, it's not a kiddie comedy or powerup fighting type anime. Some examples of the most similar shows might be: Wolf's Rain, Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Claymore, Gungrave, Blade of The Immortal... Our show is called BRUTE, and we are Scanime, an animation studio that is just opening in Sweden. Brute is our first show and our goal is to take the anime genre outside of Japan and bring other influences into it both as far as artwork and story, to give anime fans around the world something new!

What I am looking for is the following: A person or persons who would enjoy trying their hand at doing the voice for a character in the first episode or two. The first episode contains some characters that most likely will not need to appear later, so this is ideal for a one time opportunity. If you are chosen and perform the final parts to satisfaction, your name will appear in the episode credits. I cannot guarantee any more than this at present, but the door will be left open to continue hiring your services with eventual possibility of financial compensation IF you so wish and if we develop a good reportoire!

I am open minded to any amateur or professional effort and entrants of any age, in fact I specifically need both older and younger voices, which I will describe first, but if this goes well we may continue with a couple of other characters. The only thing I would like to ask is that if you enter, you give a genuine effort.

So here we go!

Character 1:

Young boy, ideally acted by someone who could pull off between 10 to 16 years old (some time will pass in this character's arc)

Your line for a demo: "Grandfather... *pauses for acknowledgement* I often hear you and the others speak of the homeland. But why doesn't anyone ever want to go visit? You seem so fond of it... I'd like to see it - with my OWN eyes"

Character 2:

Grandfather, kindly but a bit tired sounding: "That is impossible, boy. It is not the place we remember any longer.... It is a cursed (pronounced as two syllables: cur SED) place."

Character 3:

A man with a tortured but intelligent mind. Important to play with a matter-of-fact attitude with subtle flashes of mental anguish or 'insanity': "Yes! *I* caused this all... so I must undo it. Those feelings.. both that burden, and the euphoria.. these things are what have kept me going all these years."

Ok, that's it! You can try out for one voice, or them all if you wish. Post them in no less than 192 kbps mp3 format, preferably self hosted, or you can e-mail them to me and I will post them for you. I will accept mp3 site hosted entries, but I prefer they have a direct mp3 download option rather than an m3u.

I am putting this as a fun challenge on these boards because I have been here 8 years and have seen these sorts of challenges before, although maybe not quite like this. Basically I know some people here have voice talent and the ability to get good sounding voice recordings.. I mean, it's a recording forum!

GL and let me know if you have any questions. E-mail for mp3s if absolutely necessary is: henrik [at] ryosa.com

Last edited:
I'll give the young boy a chance later on.
Any certain way you want it? Longing, sad, excited, nostalgic, almost crying?

Mike

Hi. Just a curious young boy who likes to learn and ask questions. I would say "longing". He wants to learn about and see the world and he wants to meet new people.

Crap, why didn't you post this about 2 weeks ago, when I still had time, and my recording equipment was not blown up? :(

Oh well, maybe you will be around in 6 months?

Heheh.. ouch, uh, blown up?

Don'tcha at least have a computer mic? :)
Wouldn't take that much time, either.

Obviously the better equipment the better the result, but I am not too hung up on it as long as it doesn't sound ridiculously fuzzy!

Crap, why didn't you post this about 2 weeks ago, when I still had time, and my recording equipment was not blown up? :(

Oh well, maybe you will be around in 6 months?

sorry for side-tracking....

but dude...wtf happened???:(

thanx for the PM Rokket!!!

Last edited:
Hey all. New here. Found this thread through some google search, cant even remember what it was. Anyhoo!

I wouldnt mind giving these a go, probably the last two. I think 10-16 yr old voice a tad outta my range these days. Does it need to be any particular accent? American, English, some mixed European/Australia/whatever the hell?

Also, could we do multiple takes of the same voice, with say different accents and such?

Cheers.
Dave

Haha RAMI. ;)

Hey Wind, awesome. You know what? I am very open to hearing different accents. I have nothing against American voice talent, but it seems that is the norm for a lot of shows and it kind of makes it all too samey, know what I mean? I'd love to hear a variety. Do as many as you like! This is fiction, so it doesn't have to sound specifically like any country, in fact it shouldn't sound too recognizeable ideally right? So don't go saying blimey or anything ;) j/k mate.

Blimey it is! OR maybe "Stone the flam'n crows!" Nah, too silly.

I'll give it a burl the next few days. I just got all these nice new toys so it'll be a nice opportunity to test 'em out!

Hi everyone, it's cool that I am recieving offers via PM and stuff about this, and people are finding out about it via search engines. Nice! I had someone inquire about female parts. This is a totally fair question, and one I would have addressed sooner if I knew there was interest. I am writing a part for a female, but I am gonna give that person first shot. A real pro!

Actually I've had interest for all the roles, which is great. But don't be shy folks, I'm getting an itch to hear what you've got. :) Remember you don't have to be so experienced, just so long as it sounds natural and clear.

this sounded fun, so since my voice is not really useful for singing lol:) ...

Oh yeah and my recording abilities suck too :)

Back