Vocals sound muffled in booth

The problem is two fold. You don't have enough space for a sound wave to even form for a fairly large chunk of the usable sound spectrum. Speed of sound per second over distance equals Hz per second where a full sine wave can form. And because of this small space you have a lot of reflections (even with treatment) that can and will cancel out the source sound(s). Treatment will help. But by adding it you make a small space smaller and that can actually add to the problem, or create new ones.

Foam by itself doesn't do much. But it can be used as a spacer of sorts for treatments that are more effective. But again, you're making a small space smaller. Foam can help keep an acoustic blanket offset from the wall, which can help with some lower end muddy-ness, where the blanket by itself might not do much there or the foam by itself. The Owens Corning 703 Rigid Fiberglass can be made into acoustic treatment panels. Or just use carpet, or acoustic blankets. Even those thick felt like stage curtains, in combination with a little bit of foam spacing. Will be better than just foam IMO. But again, you'll be making a small space smaller.

If the goal is to protect the rest of the house from the sound, treating the outside of the room might prove more effective. Otherwise the only way I can see to record in that small of a space is to maybe use a highly directional mic like a shotgun mic. But none of those efforts will be better than a larger and properly treated space.

Assuming 1100-ish feet per second as the speed of sound.
Speed of sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At 4' walls (bear in mind you're probably half the distance from the wall)
1100/4 = 275Hz

Just a little more space
At 5' 1100/5 = 220Hz (one octave below tuning A)
At 6' 1100/6 = 183Hz
At 7' 1100/7 = 157Hz
At 10' 1100/10 = 110Hz
At 14' 1100/14 = 79Hz (about the size of my bedroom)

Between 4' closet and 14' bedroom is 275Hz to 79Hz-ish. Just shy of 2 "OCTAVES" (69Hz) of frequencies (log2 aka /2 going down, *2 going up per octave). Sound also attenuates with distance, so even without treatment, distance aka space can do wonders and is it's own treatment of sorts. Perhaps that's not sinking in like it should so here's a sound file.

Hz of lower frequencies to help make a point about small spaces by Shadow_7 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

MOST of those pitches in that sample will sound muddied / muffled in that space. But you / we already knew that. Don't believe me, play that sample on your monitor in that room and record it with a mic. Do the same for a larger room. It's not so much that the wave cannot form. It's that it's reflection is strong and will fold back onto itself. And to a certain degree in full phase reversal (i.e. the ultimate noise canceling technology). Since the source / you will be splitting that distance in half. i.e. You will find some pitches very difficult to make speak, when it's not difficult in a different space. So you (the performer) either tries harder to force it to work, or you give up trying and start sounding like a fighter pilot on a helium kick.

"I don't know where this fetish for vocal booths comes from but you'll probably find it's easier to get a better sound in a larger room where you have minimised reflections using foam, furniture, FAT PEOPLE etc..."

I can never find enough of these to get a good sound...

Obviously the foam was a shitty choice. Since the booth is too small, would removing a wall and lets say replace it with a type of curtain then removing some foam from the other walls do anything to help? Or should i leave it without a curtain when I remove a wall?

Sidenote : Would a basstrap behind the singer help at all? I was thinking of making one similiar to the one they made in this article (6th paragraph) Studio SOS: Building a DIY Vocal Booth

You've lost me....

I thought besides the muffled sound...your main concern was keep things quiet. If you remove a wall and hang a curtain (or not), you lose some of the soundproofing.

I really wonder just how LOUD you really are that you need to be all boxed in in the first place?
I'll just close the door to my studio and throw a blanket/tent over a guitar amp...and I can usually play pretty loud, and the sound outside of my studio is not really bothersome. I don't have any *soundproofing* at all in my studio space...just some basic acoustic treatment.

Where is your booth located...is it in the basement of the house?

another newbie here.....interesting thread. i do VO in a back bedroom and my "booth" is 3 sides of foam covered closet doors (3'x4' with open back). however, i've seen vocal booths used for VO that are relatively small (4'x4' w/ isolation). i didn't realize the close confines would make that much of a difference in the sound quality. wouldn't a good condenser mic avoid that problem?

marc

wouldn't a good condenser mic avoid that problem?

Condensers don't "avoid" anything. Quite the opposite. The better the mic, the more it will make a problem more noticeable. A shitty room will sound shittier, a good room will sound better.

Here is my design for a vocal booth, guaranteed to give the all too common muffled sound.

How it works, you sing into the inlet while sticking the microphone into the outlet. The people around you can't hear your voice and the mic does not pick up outside noise. Plus you can pack it away when finished.

Alan
muffler-cutopen.jpg

Some of those 4' booths in a larger space are more dampening chambers than booths per say. The sound passes through and gets reduced. When it reflects off the harder surfaces in the actual room it gets dampened a second time on the way back. Kind of like singing under your comforter while laying in bed. Not an ideal sound, but it can improve (slightly) a bad space and make it less bad. Not to imply good.

It's still an unfamiliar space for a lot of performers and that might throw them off just enough to ruin a session or two or more. Sending the input chain in to the performers headset with reverb and such can help them cope, but it's still alien ground for a lot of folks. And it's still a well insulated and small space, so expect hot temperatures (body temperature 98.6F) and high humidity. Not exactly most peoples optimum performance conditions.

dude - it's a closet. There isn't enough treatment in the world to make it not sound like a closet. Op, i can dig why you want the foam in there, it looks neat and tidy. I bet a chick that didn't know about acoustics would totally blow you in there - especially with the blacklight and some kind of velvet dr. Dre poster with a pot leaf on it.
!

hahaha. Yes!

The room is too small.. There is not enough space for any type of acoustic baffling to work, sound needs space to create ambience. If you MUST record in the booth.. add some reverb and maybe an exciter to the mix.. I don't really think anything else will do much good.. We used to have 2 - 4 x 8 foot boards covered in carpet. These could be moved around to create the right acoustics. I got a friend that will only sing in his garage and another who likes the shower.. Who knows what is best..haha..

I don't know where this fetish for vocal booths comes from but you'll probably find it's easier to get a better sound in a larger room where you have minimised reflections using foam, furniture, fat people etc...

... :o

"Fat PEOPLE!!

OMFG that made me laugh so hard when i read it! :laughings:

I had to log in just to post my comment on it lol

Back